Windows 10: Constant disk activity from "system" process

Discus and support Constant disk activity from "system" process in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Is it possible to limit how much logging and other writing to disk the system process (ntoskrnl.exe) does? If you look at the disk activity with task... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by i486, Jan 23, 2021.

1. i486 Win User

Constant disk activity from "system" process

Is it possible to limit how much logging and other writing to disk the system process (ntoskrnl.exe) does? If you look at the disk activity with task manager you'll see that system has a cycle, usually 10-15 seconds of writing at a rate of 0,1Mbs or so depending on your machine's speed, then a pause that lasts for about the same time. Are there any unnecessary services that can be stopped to limit drive wear?

:)

2. hemmo_uk Win User

ServiceLayer.exe and constant disk activity

Hi

I wondered what process was causing HD activity every 5 seconds on my system.

File Monitor from Sysinternals reported that the servicelayer.exe performs a series of disk operations every 5 seconds, continuously. It tries to create a directory, fails because directory exists, opens PCCSConfig.dat, does an query on the file, performs three
    read operations, one query, one read etc ... until after 9 information queries and 32 reads the file is closed - and after 5 seconds the whole process is repeated. A File Monitor log file is attached showing the constant disk access.

Is all that constant disk activity really necessary or is it a bug?

PC Suite: Version 6.83.14.1

Connectivity Cable Drivers: Version 6.83.9.0

PC Connectivity Solution: Version 7.7.10.0

Cheers,

-jh

ServiceLayerLog.LOG

hemmo_uk, Jan 23, 2021
  3. Arjay Dom Win User
    System Idle Process using 100% Disk Capacity (not CPU)

Thank you for getting back to us.

SuperFetch helps in decreasing the boot time which makes the programs load efficiently. But, it can also cause potential disk performance issues.

Try disabling SuperFetch by following the steps below:

• Press Windows key + X.
    • Click Command Prompt (Admin).
    • Enter the administrator credentials and pres Enter.
    • In the Command Prompt window, type or copy and paste this command:

net.exe stop superfetch
    • Press Enter and wait for the command to be processed.

We also suggest performing a disk check to identify any issues with the disk:

• Press Windows key + X.
    • Click Command Prompt (Admin).
    • Enter the administrator credentials and pres Enter.
    • In the Command Prompt window, type or copy and paste this command:

chkdsk E: /f /r

Note:
      You can replate E: with your appropriate drive letter
    • Press Enter and wait for the command to be processed.

Get back to us with the outcome so we can help you out further.

Arjay Dom, Jan 23, 2021
  4. GNJha Win User

Boot Process

Hi,

Please suggest me a link that can explain the boot process step by step of ...

• Windows 7,
    • Windows 8.1,
    • Windows 10,
    • Windows Server 2008 R2 and
    • Windows Server 2012 R2

With Regards

InTech

GNJha, Jan 23, 2021
Thema:

1. Constant disk activity from "system" process - Similar Threads - Constant disk activity

2. "System" process displays 100% of disk activity of a non-system HDD.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    "System" process displays 100% of disk activity of a non-system HDD.: Frequently, Windows 10 seems to slow down, and when I open Task Manager and Resource Monitor, the graphs show maximum disk activity on my G: drive. It's also always that drive, none of the others. This is negatively impacting my use of the PC because I use that drive to store...
  3. "System" process displays 100% of disk activity of a non-system HDD.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    "System" process displays 100% of disk activity of a non-system HDD.: Frequently, Windows 10 seems to slow down, and when I open Task Manager and Resource Monitor, the graphs show maximum disk activity on my G: drive. It's also always that drive, none of the others. This is negatively impacting my use of the PC because I use that drive to store...
  4. "System" process displays 100% of disk activity of a non-system HDD.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Constant disk writes by NVIDIA process

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Constant disk writes by NVIDIA process: Hi,I've been noticing constant disk writing activity from NVDisplay.Container.exe after updating gpu driver to 471.68 30.0.14.7168. This process starts from a service "NVIDIA Display Container LS" which defaults to start automatically. After disabling the service the apropos...
  6. High "system" process disk usage

High "system" process disk usage: I am having this issue from yesterday. My computer suddenly slow down. I went to task manager and saw system process at top of task manager window. I tried lot of stuff and did not work. I updated windows some days ago. I need help ASAP cause I use this computer for class....
  7. Constant Hard Disk Activity

Constant Hard Disk Activity: My hard disk spins constantly -- absolutely never stops. Checked disk monitor which shows it running at 100% almost every second. Then checked resource monitor which shows the following svchost.exe UniStackSvcGroup or System will have Read/Write bits per second at 1-2...
  8. system process constantly writing to disk

system process constantly writing to disk: system process constantly writing to disk 3-4MB/S perfmon shows C:\Windows\System32\LogFiles\WMI\NetCore.etl cause the problem, what is NetCore.etl and how to fix this Win10 version 1903...
  9. Constant hard disk activity

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Constant hard disk activity: My pc runs an SSD for windows but I have a secondary internal mechanical 3 TB hard drive. Tonight it sounds like the mechanical hard drive is in constant activity. I checked task manager and it's not showing any usage, 0% as expected so I am wondering why it is busily...
  10. Constant Network Activity with No Processes Using Network

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Constant Network Activity with No Processes Using Network: Hi! Just noticed this problem about a week and a half ago, but assumed it was probably just Windows force-downloading the update that dropped today. But I've installed the update now and I'm still constantly receiving 88-100 Kbps down. Resource monitor shows no processes...