Windows 10: Constant freezes after clean install

Discus and support Constant freezes after clean install in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I had cause, recently, to do a clean install of my machine, something I do every couple of years or so. Normally I would install Windows 7 then upgrade... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Levanthus, May 10, 2020.

1. Levanthus Win User

Constant freezes after clean install

I had cause, recently, to do a clean install of my machine, something I do every couple of years or so. Normally I would install Windows 7 then upgrade to windows 10 and that has always worked fine for me, never a problem. However, when I came to do the same method this time, it seems my valid windows 7 serial code is no longer being accepted as a valid code... and this led to me just doing a complete clean install of windows 10.

Since doing this my computer now just randomly freezes and I can't for the life of me figure out what is causing this issue. I can't find anything that might actually cause the problem, some times it freezes seconds after booting into windows, sometimes it will run for a day and half before freezing. I have run memory diagnostics, I've changed Graphics cards... basically I have removed/replaced every component of my machine to test for hardware errors, I've scanned all my hard drives multiple times, all drivers up to date... everything I've even completely wiped and reinstalled all over again yet STILL I get just random freezes, event viewers and reliability monitors have been comically unhelpful simply telling me that the machine unexpected rebooted... which obviously I know about since I had to do a hard reboot of the system... but nowhere can I find anything useful that might tell me WHY I had to reboot.

This is wildly frustrating to me and I am about ready to defenestrate my machine. I have tried literally everything I can think of and have run out of ideas... can anyone offer any suggestions?

:)

Levanthus, May 10, 2020

2. Clean Install Workaround for Vista

You may remember this news story on techPowerUp! a couple of days ago relating to the lack of clean installs when using the Upgrade Editions of Vista, which required an old OS to be installed. However, Paul Thurrott has managed to find a workaround for this issue, which ironically lets users do a clean install Vista without any previous version of Windows, albeit a little tedious. Here are the steps:
    • Boot from the Windows Vista Upgrade DVD as normal
    • When prompted for a product code, leave this blank
    • Select the version of Vista you have purchased and let Vista install
    • When you boot to your desktop for the first time, run the Vista setup from Windows
    • This time enter your product key
    • When asked whether you want to do an Upgrade of Custom install, select custom and choose a clean install
    • Windows will now install for a second time and you should be able to activate it
    Remember, these steps are only advised for use in order to achieve a clean install of Vista, it is only legal to use the upgrade editions if you have previously purchased the appropriate version of Windows.

Source: DailyTech

Jimmy 2004, May 10, 2020
  3. wt_lesny Win User
    Windows Vista Wont Install Freezes?

had the same problem, freezes and long installation including each step loading, in my case a bios update helped.

wt_lesny, May 10, 2020
  4. Constant freezes after clean install

System freezes at the desktop even after performing clean installation of Windows 10

Hi Peter,

Do not worry we will help you with this issue.

Provide us with additional information to assist you better with this issue:

• Which is the current version of Windows 10 installed on your computer?
    • What are the troubleshooting steps you have tried to resolve the issue?
    • Were you able to see any error code/ error message when the system freezes?
    • Does the same issue persists while booting the system in Safe mode with networking?
    • Have you installed all the pending Windows Updates and drivers after performing clean installation?

To identify the issue, try few of the troubleshooting steps below and check if it helps.

Step 1: Now to troubleshoot on it, after the computer boots, I suggest you to check the performance of the system in Safe Mode.

Refer: Start your PC in safe mode in Windows 10

Step 2: Also, I suggest you to test the issue by placing the computer in a Clean Boot state helps in eliminating software conflicts.

Disclaimer: Putting your system in
    Clean Boot state helps in identifying if any third party applications or startup items are causing the issue.

You need to follow the steps from the article mentioned below to perform a Clean Boot.

How to perform a clean boot in Windows

Note: After troubleshooting, refer to the section “How to reset the computer to start as usual after troubleshooting with
    Clean Boot” to return the computer to a
    Normal startup mode.

Step 3: Follow the below steps to
    place the computer in normal mode.

• Press Windows + R keys to open Run
      command.
    • Type msconfig and press Enter.
    • In the System Configuration window, click on
      General
      tab.
    • Select Start-up selection as Normal startup, click on
      Apply and Ok.
    • Follow onscreen instructions.

Hope it helps. Get back to us with an updated status of system freeze after reboot for further assistance.

Thank you.

Deepika Gowda, May 10, 2020
Thema:

Constant freezes after clean install

1. Constant freezes after clean install - Similar Threads - Constant freezes clean

2. Windows constantly restarting after clean install

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows constantly restarting after clean install: Recently had a problem with not being able to connect to any networks with device manager saying ‘code 56’ on my Wi-Fi card. Tried resetting my pc keeping personal files to have the pc now start black screening and restarting. It happens seemingly randomly whether I log into...
  3. Windows constantly restarting after clean install

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows constantly restarting after clean install: Recently had a problem with not being able to connect to any networks with device manager saying ‘code 56’ on my Wi-Fi card. Tried resetting my pc keeping personal files to have the pc now start black screening and restarting. It happens seemingly randomly whether I log into...
  4. Windows constantly restarting after clean install

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Constant BSOD after clean install

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Constant BSOD after clean install: Hi AllI am getting constant BSOD's every couple of hours, sometimes the PC crashes without a blue screen. I have done a clean install of windows with the same issues persisting, as well as replacing the motherboard and running Memtest which shows 0 issues. these are usually...
  6. Constant BSOD after clean install

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Constant BSOD after clean install: Hi AllI am getting constant BSOD's every couple of hours, sometimes the PC crashes without a blue screen. I have done a clean install of windows with the same issues persisting, as well as replacing the motherboard and running Memtest which shows 0 issues. these are usually...
  7. Constant BSOD after clean install

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  8. Constant Bsod after clean installation

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Constant Bsod after clean installation: Hello everyone, I am getting constant bsod after I completed installation of windows 10. Just when everything is being set up i am getting blue screen saying CRITICAL PROCESS DIED, due to which I am unable to enter the desktop. Before this i had blue screen for MEMORY...
  9. Constant BSOD after clean install

Constant BSOD after clean install: I just recently did a clean install and now I am getting non-stop BSODs with KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED but no specific driver mentioned. Before I did the clean install I had zero crashes but other issues were happening. Every once in a while in the last few months I would...
  10. freezing after clean install

freezing after clean install: I reset my computer/clean install (or thought I did lol) it ran all thru it but now it freezes during set-up. I am not very tech savy at all, so please if you can help me.I dont know how to get to safe mode or anything. I am currently using a chromebook :( I miss my windows...