Windows 10: Constant game crashes and screen flickering relation to display driver

Discus and support Constant game crashes and screen flickering relation to display driver in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I've been having an issue the past couple of week where I get errors relating to graphics card/drivers that have made playing impossible. These crashes... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by BW1223, Apr 13, 2021.

1. BW1223 Win User

Constant game crashes and screen flickering relation to display driver

I've been having an issue the past couple of week where I get errors relating to graphics card/drivers that have made playing impossible. These crashes occur between 5 minutes to few hours of gameplay. Have had screen flickers with event viewer error on desktop while only browsing chrome.

System Specs:
    AMD 5600x CPU
    MSI RTX 3070 x2 OC Manufacture OC
    Corsair vengeance 2x8gb 3600mhz
    ASUS ROG Strix B550 Gaming wifi motherboard
    Corsair 650 watt gold modular power supply
    ICue commander pro to control fans/aio pump

Errors:

Destiny 2:

Constant game crashes and screen flickering relation to display driver [​IMG]

Apex Legends:
    Constant game crashes and screen flickering relation to display driver [​IMG]Constant game crashes and screen flickering relation to display driver [​IMG]

Valorant:

Constant game crashes and screen flickering relation to display driver [​IMG]

Event viewer after Valorant crashing:

Constant game crashes and screen flickering relation to display driver [​IMG]Constant game crashes and screen flickering relation to display driver [​IMG]

Past Issues:

-Replaced x570 gigabyte aorus elite wifi w/ new OS install
    -Removed 2 RAM sticks after error in Memory Diagnostics w/ new OS install

-Used to have BSODs, believed to be due to memory sticks and haven't had any since removal of bad RAM

Attempted Fixes:

-/sfc scan, scanhealth, healthrestore

-SFC scan came back with errors and repaired after first run, ran twice more to ensure repairs

-Scanhealth came back with no errors

-Uninstalled graphics driver with DDU, let windows install basic display driver

-Uninstalled graphics driver with DDU, reinstalled latest version from nvidia website

-Uninstalled graphics driver with DDU, reinstalled latest version before 461.72

-Uninstalled armorycrate with armorycrate uninstaller

-Uninstalled ICUE

-Scanned for viruses, none found

-Ran system maintenance trouble shooter, no errors

-Underclocked GPU by 100mhz through MSI after burner

-Error check drives through properties, none found
    -Updated to latest bios 2006

-Ensured DirectX 12 was running

-Clean boot through system configuration

-Edited registery value TdrLevel Qword to 0, 8, and 20

:)

BW1223, Apr 13, 2021
  2. Suecq824 Win User

Screen flickering in some games

A game (Equilibria) that ran fine in Windows 8.1 has constant flickering in Windows 10.I am using the same resolution and have downloaded the latest display drivers. The flickering continues in this game.

Suecq824, Apr 13, 2021
  3. Flickering screen at startup, crashes, and BSOD after instaling new GPU

When i put in the my old GPU it works just fine, but with the new one the screen flickers with the monitor, but i installed older versions of the driver and sometimes when i boot the screen works fine and sometimes it flickers. But now im gonna test if the PC will BSOD or the display drivers will crash. And ill report to you later. And also without any drivers with the generic windows vga drivers the screen doesn't flicker, maby it's the a faulty motherboard or the pcie slot since all the display crashes were TDR related meaning the GPU didn't respond and the display drivers shut down and then recovered. And also does it have to do something with my PSU not having a -5v rail?

nootshack1312, Apr 13, 2021
  4. AlanR246 Win User

Screen flicker and hangup on desktop screen

The short term fix for me was to roll back to Windows 7. I did not have the time to work through the issues but will try again in a week or so. I had a call in to the Microsoft Answer Desk and got a call back after I rolled back. Pasted below are the suggestions
    to attempt find the problem. In my case, I suspect Norton was the culprit since that was the common product on both my desktops and I was not seeing a flicker in Task Manager window.

From the Microsoft Answer Desk:

Here are the Steps for the Flickering issue.

If we see the screen flickering after sign-in there are two possible causes - apps causing Explorer to crash, or display driver issues.

To start, press this key combination: CTRL+SHIFT+ESC

If this opens Task Manager and that window is NOT flickering:The likely cause is Software Compatibility issue causing Explorer.exe to crash repeatedly.

• Use the File, Run option in Task Manager to open additional tools as-needed. Be sure to check the box to run tools as Administrator. These could include:

appwiz.cpl: Opens Programs and Features

compmgmt.msc: Opens Computer Management

cmd.exe
    • You can search for crash events in the Event Logs and find if any third party DLLs are the faulting module in the Explorer,.exe crashes Or uninstall software that is likely to include shell extensions.
    • If removing software does not resolve the issue, use these commands to repair Windows:

dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

sfc /scannow
    We have reports that removing these apps help resolve the issue:

• Norton Antivirus
    • Other AV solutions
    • iCloud
    • IDT Audio (faulting module IDTNC64.cpl)
    If Task Manager is flickering, or it didn't open, proceed with display driver troubleshooting:
    The likely cause is a display driver or display hardware issue.

• Boot to Safe Mode with Networking.
    • Use the same steps here as for Black Screen issues - if dual chipset, disable built-in graphics, if still flickers, try with only the other chipset enabled.
    • If this does not work, or there is only a single chipset, uninstall the device and remove the driver software.
    • Then boot into Windows and update the drivers to the latest from the manufacturer.
    Here are the Steps for the Flickering issue.

If we see the screen flickering after sign-in there are two possible causes - apps causing Explorer to crash, or display driver issues.

AlanR246, Apr 13, 2021
Thema:

1. Constant game crashes and screen flickering relation to display driver - Similar Threads - Constant game crashes

2. Constant GPU related BSOD, or game crashes

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Constant GPU related BSOD, or game crashes: Hello All, I have a recurring issue with my PC for the past few months, and I haven't been able to pinpoint the root cause browsing the web yet. While playing most games, the system regurarly crashes in one of the following ways:1, BSOD with nvlddmkm.sys error code 30%2,...
  3. Constant GPU related BSOD, or game crashes

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Constant GPU related BSOD, or game crashes: Hello All, I have a recurring issue with my PC for the past few months, and I haven't been able to pinpoint the root cause browsing the web yet. While playing most games, the system regurarly crashes in one of the following ways:1, BSOD with nvlddmkm.sys error code 30%2,...
  4. Constant GPU related BSOD, or game crashes

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Display Unresponsive and Constantly Flickering

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Display Unresponsive and Constantly Flickering: Hi there, I am having display issues on my Windows 11 PC latest update. I am unable to click and open any files at all and I cannot even open the command prompt or problem scanner. Whenever I attempt to open a Desktop icon, it states that the files were either moved or...
  6. Display Unresponsive and Constantly Flickering

Display Unresponsive and Constantly Flickering: Hi there, I am having display issues on my Windows 11 PC latest update. I am unable to click and open any files at all and I cannot even open the command prompt or problem scanner. Whenever I attempt to open a Desktop icon, it states that the files were either moved or...
  7. Screen Flickering and Display Drivers Help

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Screen Flickering and Display Drivers Help: I have a Surface pro 4 and the screen is flickering. I tried to do what Windows said and it is still flickering. Any suggetions on what to do? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/screen-flickering-and-display-drivers-help/684f3438-e558-446e-af97-0fce435c94f3
  8. Screen Flickering and Display Drivers Help

Screen Flickering and Display Drivers Help: I have a Surface pro 4 and the screen is flickering. I tried to do what Windows said and it is still flickering. Any suggetions on what to do? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/screen-flickering-and-display-drivers-help/684f3438-e558-446e-af97-0fce435c94f3
  9. Constant Screen Flicker Related to DWM

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Constant Screen Flicker Related to DWM: Can anyone shed some light onto the event viewer entries and behavior? Thousands of entries over hours each can be tied to the black screen flicker lasting 5-15 seconds. Research shows it may be a display driver vulnerability introduced with the latest WIN version, made...
  10. Constant Display Driver Crashes

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Constant Display Driver Crashes: For a while now I have been having quite a few problems with my GPU (GTX 770) I have used DDU to uninstall my drivers and performed a clean install but the problem still persists. I have also run a memtest for 8 passes with no errors. problems include: FPS drops BSOD...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. games flickering graphics crashing

2. games flickering and crashing windows 10