Windows 10: Constant Hard Disk Activity

Discus and support Constant Hard Disk Activity in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; My hard disk spins constantly -- absolutely never stops. Checked disk monitor which shows it running at 100% almost every second. Then checked... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by BeckyFields1, Jul 18, 2020.

1. Constant Hard Disk Activity

My hard disk spins constantly -- absolutely never stops. Checked disk monitor which shows it running at 100% almost every second. Then checked resource monitor which shows the following

svchost.exe UniStackSvcGroup or System will have Read/Write bits per second at 1-2 million.

Needless to say, it takes this computer forever to carry out any activity and many activities fail - so it is nearly useless. What can I do?????

I would greatly appreciate ANY help!!

Thank you,

Becky F

:)

BeckyFields1, Jul 18, 2020

2. Constant hard disk activity

My pc runs an SSD for windows but I have a secondary internal mechanical 3 TB hard drive. Tonight it sounds like the mechanical hard drive is in constant activity. I checked task manager and it's not showing any usage, 0% as expected so I am wondering why it is busily whirring away? Could it be doing background tasks that do not show up in task manager when checking disk usage?

Over the last week I have installed a few steam games on it so downloaded a probably a couple hundred gigabytes so maybe it's something to do with that? Unfortunately my machine doesn't have hard disk lights on the front but I can hear the tell tale whirring which has been going on for a good couple hours now. But resource monitor and task manager show zero activity on the disk. Maybe it's optimising /defragmenting but surely that would show activity in task manager or resource monitor right? Besides which if open disk defragmenter app it says it was last run on the mechanical drive about an hour ago and status ok 0% fragmented

it seems to shut up if I play a movie stored on it. I stop the movie and can hear it's quiet. But after a while, some idle time it kicks into life again.

Scottyboy99, Jul 18, 2020
  3. smith0217 Win User
    Constant Hard Drive Activity

Windows 10 my hard drive has constant activity.

smith0217, Jul 18, 2020
  4. Constant Hard Disk Activity

Constant hard disk activity

You'd think there should be an LED for disk activity but as expensive and flashy as the case is (Coolermaster CM Stormtrooper) I don't think there any! Not that I can see round the front of the case too well anyway. I wouldn't buy it again as the case is unfeasibly large and since my wife made me move the pc into a small area everything is no longer that easy to get to. But as disk usage and resource monitor report little or no activity I guess it cannot be.

Scottyboy99, Jul 18, 2020
Thema:

Constant Hard Disk Activity

1. Constant Hard Disk Activity - Similar Threads - Constant Hard Disk

2. 100% hard disk active time in windows11.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    100% hard disk active time in windows11.: hello my name is arsalan ahmad quraishi and i am facing an issue of system slow boot & slow working. i opened my task manager app and saw 100% disk active time while disk usage is below 40%. I already did clean windows 11 installation but it didn't solve my problem. i fully...
  3. Computer Slows Down With Constant Disk Activity

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Computer Slows Down With Constant Disk Activity: I am running a PC under the latest version of Windows 10. I am constantly having the computer slow down and stop responding for long periods while I am access web pages on Edge or Chrome doesn't seem to matter which. This is accompanied by a lot of disk drive activity That...
  4. Constant disk activity from "system" process

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Constant disk activity from "system" process: Is it possible to limit how much logging and other writing to disk the system process (ntoskrnl.exe) does? If you look at the disk activity with task manager you'll see that system has a cycle, usually 10-15 seconds of writing at a rate of 0,1Mbs or so depending on your...
  5. window activation after hard disk change

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    window activation after hard disk change: i have just recently upgraded to SSD fro HDD and my and the service provider has install window 10 pro Not activated but i have digital license for window 10 home.So now window is not activated. how can i downgrade my window pro ta home...
  6. Activation problem after hard disk replacement

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Activation problem after hard disk replacement: I bought a Dell laptop 5 years back with windows 8.1 pre-loaded. After some time it was upgraded to Windows 10 without any challenge. Recently the hard disc crashed and it had to be replaced. The technician retrieved the embedded Windows 8.1 activation key through...
  7. Constant blue screens and Hard disk errors

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Constant blue screens and Hard disk errors: When I use my laptop for like 30 minutes it starts to make clicking noises. I sometimes even get the blue screen. When I startup the laptop there is a Hard Disk 1 (301) error, but you can still continue startup. My disk space is at a 100% yet there are only vital and some...
  8. Activate option for hard disks for a better performance?

Activate option for hard disks for a better performance?: Should one activate the option for external drives, hard disks for a better performance (enables the cache, and the risk of data loss is higher) or fast removing (cache will be disabled) of the drive: [ATTACH] How much faster is it to use the better performance option,...
  9. Constant hard disk activity

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Constant hard disk activity: My pc runs an SSD for windows but I have a secondary internal mechanical 3 TB hard drive. Tonight it sounds like the mechanical hard drive is in constant activity. I checked task manager and it's not showing any usage, 0% as expected so I am wondering why it is busily...
  10. No relief from constant hard drive activity

No relief from constant hard drive activity: I finally had to set up a dual boot with Ubuntu so that I could browse the net in peace. The constant clicky-clack of my hard drive drove me nuts. Windows lately has not given it a rest. Ubuntu on the other hand hardly ever causes overuse of the hard drive. Windows needs to...