Windows 10: Constant high CPU usage when idle after upgrade from Win 7 to Win 10

Discus and support Constant high CPU usage when idle after upgrade from Win 7 to Win 10 in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Due to Windows 7 no longer being supported I 'upgraded' my Acer Aspire 5377Z laptop to Windows 10. On completion of the upgrade I noticed that the Task... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Nomadic Nomad, Feb 12, 2020.

1. Constant high CPU usage when idle after upgrade from Win 7 to Win 10

Due to Windows 7 no longer being supported I 'upgraded' my Acer Aspire 5377Z laptop to Windows 10. On completion of the upgrade I noticed that the Task Manager showed constant high CPU. When the PC settles down after power on the CPU usage remains above 50% with no programs running. Task Manager shows almost all of the usage is assigned to Service Host: Device Setup Manager.

The CPU was never this active when idle in Windows 7.

The laptop is fitted with 8GB RAM.

It is fully updated to Version 1909, Build 18363.657.

Help to resolve this issue would be appreciated.

Thanks

:)

Nomadic Nomad, Feb 12, 2020
  2. FALKLAN Win User

High Idle CPU Usage After Win 10 Reset and Update

Hello!

I am having a bit of trouble with high idle cpu usage after resetting Windows 10 and installing updates.

Constant high CPU usage when idle after upgrade from Win 7 to Win 10 [​IMG]

I am unsure how to troubleshoot this type of service usage. I ask for assistance to resolve this.

Thanks!

FALKLAN, Feb 12, 2020
  3. High CPU usage at idle after win update, w7

I need a little help please, I have here a Mk6 toughbook, as these have no cooling fan they use the chassis to cool the CPU, I noticed it was running hot and slow, I checked in task man and noticed the CPU usage at idle was fluctuating between 30 - 50%

I ran AV and Malware cleaner, it found a couple of files, they got deleted but still had the same problem (just to let you know this PC is not used with internet connection unless there are updates for the software that's installed)

I fitted a new hard drive and installed a fresh w7, after install I noticed CPU usage was, at idle fluctuating 0 -5%, I installed the toughbook drivers, after each driver install I checked CPU usage at idle and it was how it should be at 0 - 5%

I then installed the w7 updates that the update program found, after complete install and a few restarts my CPU at idle usage is back up to 30% at idle, please can someone help me solve the problem as to why the CPU usage is so high at idle after the w7
    updates

TIA

Toughbooks, Feb 12, 2020
  4. nikhilr51 Win User

Constant high CPU usage when idle after upgrade from Win 7 to Win 10

High CPU Usage at Idle

Hey guys, recently my W10 PC seems to be using a fair bit of CPU. I noticed this because my Battlefield 1 fps appeared to have dropped. First thing I did was roll back my nvidia drivers to the previous version, but then I noticed my cpu usage. I seem to be using 35-45% cpu usage at idle. I've never seen it go below 35% (In safe mode its around 2-3%).

Things i've tried:
    - Sfc scannow at boot (it found & fixed a few things)
    - chkdsk /f at boot
    - Stuff from here: Windows 10 High CPU Usage Fixes
    - Superantispyware scan

Hopefully someone will be able to point me in the right direction!
    Thanks!

nikhilr51, Feb 12, 2020
Thema:

Constant high CPU usage when idle after upgrade from Win 7 to Win 10

1. Constant high CPU usage when idle after upgrade from Win 7 to Win 10 - Similar Threads - Constant high CPU

2. High CPU usage at idle. Win 10 Pro and after I upgraded to Win 11 Pro, it continue

in Windows 10 Gaming
    High CPU usage at idle. Win 10 Pro and after I upgraded to Win 11 Pro, it continue: I have encountered a problem with Windows 10 Pro version and Windows 11 Pro. My laptop specifications are as follows : - ASUS TUF Gaming FX505GE - CPU: Intel Core i7-8750H CPU @ 2.20GHz - GRAPHICS: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti, Intel® UHD Graphics 630 - RAM: 16 Gb DDR4 RAM The...
  3. High CPU usage at idle. Win 10 Pro and after I upgraded to Win 11 Pro, it continue

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    High CPU usage at idle. Win 10 Pro and after I upgraded to Win 11 Pro, it continue: I have encountered a problem with Windows 10 Pro version and Windows 11 Pro. My laptop specifications are as follows : - ASUS TUF Gaming FX505GE - CPU: Intel Core i7-8750H CPU @ 2.20GHz - GRAPHICS: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti, Intel® UHD Graphics 630 - RAM: 16 Gb DDR4 RAM The...
  4. High CPU usage at idle. Win 10 Pro

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    High CPU usage at idle. Win 10 Pro: I have encountered a problem with Windows 10 Pro version. My PC specifications are as follows :Intel i5-9400fPalit Geforce GTX 1060 6Gb16 Gb DDR4 RAM @ 3000MhzThe problem is that whenever I leave my PC to idle, after a few minutes, I hear the CPU fan spool up quite violently....
  5. Constant high CPU usage when ide after upgrade from Win 7 to Win 10

Constant high CPU usage when ide after upgrade from Win 7 to Win 10: Due to Windows 7 no longer being supported I 'upgraded' my Acer Aspire 5377Z laptop to Windows 10. On completion of the upgrade I noticed that the Task Manager showed constant high CPU. When the PC settles down after power on the CPU usage remains above 50% with no programs...
  6. Restore After Upgrade From Win 7 To Win 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Restore After Upgrade From Win 7 To Win 10: The question is about performing a system restore after upgrading to Windows 10 from 7. If one: Upgrades to Windows 10 THEN performs a system restore ... will the system restore with Windows 10 or will it revert back to an earlier version, in this case Win 7? If it...
  7. BSOD after upgrade from win 7 to win 10

BSOD after upgrade from win 7 to win 10: I have a pc I built myself that's been running on windows 7 without any issues whatsoever. I've left this pc on for a week at a time without a bluescreen or even shutdowns. Ever since I've upgraded to windows 10, I've been getting store exception errors every day or two....
  8. Win 10 high ram usage when idle

Win 10 high ram usage when idle: Hi, I recently updated windows to newest version(1803, compilation 17134.345), I did that because Forza Horizon 4 require that. I haven't been updating my OS for 2 years, because of situations like this. So my problem is that after about an hour from booting I can use my PC...
  9. High Idle CPU Usage After Win 10 Reset and Update

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    High Idle CPU Usage After Win 10 Reset and Update: Hello! I am having a bit of trouble with high idle cpu usage after resetting Windows 10 and installing updates. [img] I am unsure how to troubleshoot this type of service usage. I ask for assistance to resolve this. Thanks! 112123
  10. High CPU Usage at Idle

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    High CPU Usage at Idle: Hey guys, recently my W10 PC seems to be using a fair bit of CPU. I noticed this because my Battlefield 1 fps appeared to have dropped. First thing I did was roll back my nvidia drivers to the previous version, but then I noticed my cpu usage. I seem to be using 35-45% cpu...