Windows 10: Constant immediate reboots after Windows 7 to Windows 10 Upgrade

Discus and support Constant immediate reboots after Windows 7 to Windows 10 Upgrade in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have a Windows 10 LTSB installation on a SSD I use for gaming (I actually bought a legit key to use this streamlined version of Windows 10), but my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by ustauk, Jun 14, 2020.

1. ustauk Win User

Constant immediate reboots after Windows 7 to Windows 10 Upgrade

I have a Windows 10 LTSB installation on a SSD I use for gaming (I actually bought a legit key to use this streamlined version of Windows 10), but my miss is attached to the Windows 7 installation I have on a Hitachi HDD. I'd like to upgrade it to Windows 10, but want to keep her configuration and programs.

I had no problem with the clean LTSB installation a while back, but ran into a problem when trying to perform the upgrade installation on the HDD. Fortunately, I had backed up the HDD using Macrium Reflect on my LTSB drive prior to the upgrade, and was able to restore the HDD after running into the problem.

I downloaded the Windows upgrade tool and ran it from the Windows 7 installation, choosing place it on a USB drive. I then ran the setup from the key. It went through the whole upgrade installation without incident... until it came time to reboot.

Upon rebooting, you would see the cursor for a couple of seconds, and the computer would then reboot. The machine would keep rebooting as long as I let it boot to the HDD.

I tried booting into the thumb drive. I got the prompt that an upgrade installation was in progress, and the choice to do a wipe install or reboot. I said yes to the prompt, just to get at the recovery tools. I tried the Startup Fix option, but that did not help.

I read about Windows 10 patches causing reboots. Should I try and find an image of an earlier Windows 10 installer, and upgrade off of that? Or is their something else I can do?

Alternatively, Windows 7 still seems to be getting Security Essentials virus definition updates. How vulnerable would the old installation be the malware and viruses if I just let her keep it as is? If Install a good freeware antimalware or virus scanner, would that be enough?

Thanks!

:)

ustauk, Jun 14, 2020
  2. Nordic Win User

Windows 10 upgrade problem, no input accepted

I really hate having to come here and ask for help, but I really am stumped. It hurts my geek pride. I have a PC with fairly modern hardware in it. It has a p8p67 pro in it. I have tried upgrading windows 10 on it twice now. Both times I have had the same result.

After windows finishes upgrading it goes to the log in/set up screen. I can't do anything. No keyboard or mouse input is accepted.

I will list some, or hopefully all, of the troubleshooting steps I have tried:
    • Move keyboard and mouse to different USB ports.
    • Try different keyboard or mouse.
    • Restart computer, repeatedly.
    • Google for related issues.
    • Update Bios, because why not.
    • Create boot media and revert to windows 7.
    The windows 10 system restore boot media works fine with keyboard and mouse. All USB ports work in windows 7. I don't know what is wrong. I suspect that windows 10 is lacking a driver of some sort, but since the computer accepts no input I have no way of checking for which driver let alone installing it.

Please help me figure this out. If I have to revert back to windows 7 again, I am not going to get it upgraded to windows 10. Thank you in advanced.

Nordic, Jun 14, 2020
  3. Installing Windows 10 using Windows 7 key

Nope, you need to install Windows 10 first and make sure the Windows 7 key is transferred to your Windows account after you've installed Windows 10 (not quite sure how that works). I missed the last step and I could not activate Windows 10 after a re-install... Microsoft seem to have done everything they can to make it a PITA. Also, it's technically too late to do this now anyhow, as the upgrade offer has expired. But KMSPico works quite well...

As for getting rid of Windows, delete the Windows folder.

TheLostSwede, Jun 14, 2020
  4. Mussels Win User

Windows 10 upgrade problem, no input accepted

i've seen this when the stock USB drivers went kaput. Only ever seen it once - i used a PCI USB 2.0 card and connected the mouse and keyboard to that, and manually updated the USB 2/USB 3 drivers.

Mussels, Jun 14, 2020
Thema:

1. Constant immediate reboots after Windows 7 to Windows 10 Upgrade - Similar Threads - Constant immediate reboots

2. Back to windows 7 after reboot

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Back to windows 7 after reboot: after experiencing some minor issues with my ASUS laptop, I recovered my windows 10. it worked well at beginning but the day after the laptop screen became black with blinking cursor. it forced me to use the back up files which was created under windows 7 few years ago. the...
  3. Back to windows 7 after reboot

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Back to windows 7 after reboot: after experiencing some minor issues with my ASUS laptop, I recovered my windows 10. it worked well at beginning but the day after the laptop screen became black with blinking cursor. it forced me to use the back up files which was created under windows 7 few years ago. the...
  4. WINDOWS 10 Issue - reboots immediately after PIN entry

in Windows 10 Gaming
    WINDOWS 10 Issue - reboots immediately after PIN entry: After installing the Nov Windows 10 Update, windows now reboots after I enter PIN'I have run SFC, DISM, and CHKDSK as well as STARTUP REPAIR without clearing the problemI can run in Safe modeDoing a new install of Windows 10 does not clear problemSystem Error log reports...
  5. WINDOWS 10 Issue - reboots immediately after PIN entry

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    WINDOWS 10 Issue - reboots immediately after PIN entry: After installing the Nov Windows 10 Update, windows now reboots after I enter PIN'I have run SFC, DISM, and CHKDSK as well as STARTUP REPAIR without clearing the problemI can run in Safe modeDoing a new install of Windows 10 does not clear problemSystem Error log reports...
  6. WINDOWS 10 Issue - reboots immediately after PIN entry

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  7. Windows 7 Pro to Windows 10 Upgrade Stuck after 3 reboots

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 7 Pro to Windows 10 Upgrade Stuck after 3 reboots: Hi, I've been trying to upgrade a Windows 7 Pro system to Windows 10 Pro. After downloading the upgrade tool (MediaCreationTool20H2) I try to "upgrade this PC" and keep all my data and apps. Anti-Virus (Norton) and firewall are disabled. Things go smoothly, the system...
  8. Windows 10 Update Failures-Immediate Reboot

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 Update Failures-Immediate Reboot: I've been trying to update to insider build 14342. My system shuts down and reboots normally for the update, but after the spinning cursor, I see what appears to be a command prompt on a blue screen flash briefly, then what appears to be the normal progress dialog for the...
  9. Constant BSOD after upgrading to Windows 10

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Constant BSOD after upgrading to Windows 10: My laptop keep crashing 5-10 minutes after booting up ever since upgrading to Windows 10. Showing kernel security check failure. Thanks! 35274
  10. Windows 10 reboot after upgrading from windows 7

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 reboot after upgrading from windows 7: I have strange issue only with 1 laptop, upgraded the windows from 7 to 10 pro, when it boot after few min it restarts , If I turn the network connection, reboot system before it restart itself, after next reboot after login turn the network enable . system work fine as...