Windows 10: Constant random short freezes

Discus and support Constant random short freezes in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hello. So, a few days ago I installed the Xbox app in my PC. I then started noticing Windows would freeze for a few seconds when performing tasks such... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Dreadjaws, Sep 6, 2020.

1. Dreadjaws Win User

Constant random short freezes

Hello. So, a few days ago I installed the Xbox app in my PC. I then started noticing Windows would freeze for a few seconds when performing tasks such as opening a new browser tab, saving a file, trying to write in a text box, etc. Watching a Youtube video would have the video every once in a while stop for a few seconds while the audio went on, and then the video would speed up to catch up. Games would have the same issue where audio will continue normally but the video freezes (but no catch-up attempt), and the severity and frequency of freezes in them range from "ocassionally annoying" (in older games) to "unplayable" (in newer ones).

Figuring it was the Xbox App's doing, I uninstalled it, but while the problem lowered its frequency, it didn't stop. I tried googling for a solution and saw there were a bunch of possible things to try to stop these "micro stutters", so I tried them. Checking the hard drive, looking for problems in the Event Viewer, resetting the Winsock catalog, enabling the "AHCI Link Power Management - HIPM/DIPM" option, disabling background apps, moving the RAM to a different socket. None of these did anything. Disk space is certainly not an issue. I tried updating the drivers and the problem seems to have gotten a bit worse (though not as bad as when the Xbox app was installed). I downloaded the drivers according to my Windows version (1903 - 18362.1016).

What irks me is that whatever caused this seems to have been left there by the Xbox app, since I hadn't installed anything else in the last few days. Is there something I'm missing? Am I going to be forced to do a new install? This is what I want to avoid, but if I have no choice... Thanks in advance for any input.

:)

Dreadjaws, Sep 6, 2020
  2. TIGR Win User

Random freezes or shut downs

Completely random freezing/shutdowns on a system with no recent hardware changes, and hard drive, memory, and PSU fine, usually means a software issue (file corruption or malicious software). I suggest following DavidV's recommendations.

TIGR, Sep 6, 2020
  3. contant short freezes on tablet

Hi Nedim,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand that you are in a frustrating situation, because programs hangs and freezes on tablet.

I'd certainly help you, to resolve the issue.

Please answer the query, mentioned below, for a better understanding of your issue:

• Do you receive any error code or error message?
    • Have you made any changes to your system, prior to this issue?
    The first step is to identify the category of issue you are facing. We will define four categories of behavior for PCs that become unresponsive, as follows:

1. Hang: Your PC becomes unresponsive whenever you do a specific set of steps, and you must restart to recover the PC.

2. Random Hang: Your PC becomes unresponsive seemingly at random, and you must restart to recover the PC.

3. Generic Freeze: Your PC becomes unresponsive for a period of time, and then becomes usable again without taking any action. You don't need to restart your PC for it to be usable again. This behavior seems to affect all apps.

4. Single-app Freeze: Your PC exhibits the same behavior as a Generic Freeze, except that it only occurs when running a specific app, such as when playing a game or browsing websites.

For further assistance and more information, I would suggest you to refer to the following Microsoft article and check, if it helps.

Windows hangs or freezes.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2681286

Note: applies to Windows 10.

Note: Any data files that are infected may only be cleaned by deleting the file entirely, which means there is a potential for data loss.

Please feel free to contact us, if you face any issues with Windows.

Thank you.

AntonyJose, Sep 6, 2020
  4. vinsterX Win User

Random Crash/Freeze on Build 10130

Hello everyone.

I have been running the Windows 10 preview for the last few months and other than a driver issue here or there, did not experience any real problems. However, with the last update to build 10130, I have been experiencing a random crash/freeze that manifests itself in one of two ways:

1. If I step away from the computer and come back before the monitor is set to go to sleep, I will come back to a frozen cursor, unable to do anything.
    2. If I step away from the computer and come back after the monitor has gone to sleep, I will come back to a black screen, unable to do anything.
    In both cases, I have to hold the power button in to shut down the computer for a restart.

Any direction or help would be greatly appreciated.

vinsterX, Sep 6, 2020
Thema:

1. Constant random short freezes - Similar Threads - Constant random short

2. Constant random freezing and BSOD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Constant random freezing and BSOD: I built this pc a bit over a year ago and within the last couple months I've been experiencing escalating crashing issues. Around 4-5 months ago the pc would seemingly randomly freeze during basic activity like browsing the web or sometimes while in games. It then got to the...
  3. Constant random freezing and BSOD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Constant random freezing and BSOD: I built this pc a bit over a year ago and within the last couple months I've been experiencing escalating crashing issues. Around 4-5 months ago the pc would seemingly randomly freeze during basic activity like browsing the web or sometimes while in games. It then got to the...
  4. PC Random very short freezes or stutters and audio buzzes or cuts

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    PC Random very short freezes or stutters and audio buzzes or cuts: Hey, so I just built a PC. I am having an aggravating problem. Two Really. First problem is the big one for me because it's making it hard to play games and just enjoy the pc itself. My pc only when playing games, it seems like, it will randomly freeze for maybe half a...
  5. CONSTANT FREEZING AND RANDOM BLACKSCREEN. PLEASE HELP.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    CONSTANT FREEZING AND RANDOM BLACKSCREEN. PLEASE HELP.: Hi, My laptop is running the latest Windows 10 and I am currently having issues where my laptop would freeze randomly and sometimes, with blackscreen as well. The laptop that I'm using is MSI GS63 Stealth Intel 8th i-7, Nvidia 1060. I've been trying every solution that I...
  6. Random: computer freezing, short black screens, and restarting.

Random: computer freezing, short black screens, and restarting.: Hello, I recently built my own computer just a few months ago, and I've been putting off dealing with this for a little too long. I have a few problems that I still don't know what's causing them and I'm unsure if any of them could be connected somehow. First and most...
  7. Short freezes

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Short freezes: Hi, when I click into like action centre and system, for example, I get very small brief full system lag/freezes which stops my mouse, sound, everything for that split couple seconds. It doesn't happen every time, but it does happen often. Anyone else experiences this and...
  8. Short freezes

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Short freezes: Hi, when I click into like action center and system for example, I get very small brief full system lag/freezes which stops my mouse, sound, everything for that split couple seconds. It doesn't happen every time, but it does happen often. Anyone else experience this...
  9. Constant Random Freezing

Constant Random Freezing: Hi all, I'm looking for some help with this constant issue I've been having for the past month or so; all of a sudden my computer will either freeze up or instantly shutdown due to driver errors with whatever headset I plug into any USB port (including 3.0 ports). I've...
  10. Windows 10 Pro Constant Random Freeze

Windows 10 Pro Constant Random Freeze: Hi, I originally use Windows 7, trying to update that to Windows 10 but it does not allow me to. Anyway, I purchase a new SSD (Crucial BX300 480gb) to install Win 10 on it. However, it constantly freezes for no particular reason. Sometimes it freezes when it starts up....