Windows 10: Constant Updates Driving me insane!

Discus and support Constant Updates Driving me insane! in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Does anyone know if there's a way to force Windows to STOP continually downloading "updates" and re-booting? I deliberately do NOT shut down my PC... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by kharrisma, Jun 12, 2019.

1. kharrisma Win User

Constant Updates Driving me insane!

Does anyone know if there's a way to force Windows to STOP continually downloading "updates" and re-booting?

I deliberately do NOT shut down my PC when I'm done with it... I don't like the long boot times that Windows users have to suffer through, and I especially don't like the startup time that some Windows programs require as well... if there's a program that's slower to load than Windows photo viewer, I've not seen it (other than GIMP, anyway.)

I use Windows mainly for gaming (and Linux for any serious work), and many of the games I play have very long load times as well. Not wanting to have to wait through this load up time multiple times per day, I just alt+tab out of the game and put it down until later.

I've got it set up as a dual-boot system: Windows 10 and Linux Mint. The system defaults to Linux Mint if it gets no input from me. This is how I know that Windows has updated/rebooted yet again, as when I open it up, I'm looking at the Linux login screen.

This *&%@@#'! thing has "updated" fully three times in the last five days, and I'm getting really sick of it. Another reason I don't shut things down is that many of the games I play don't have a "save and quit" option, they use the odious "checkpoint" system, so unless you've reached a checkpoint, if you quit the game you lose any progress since the last checkpoint. I have had to laboriously re-trace my way through the same game segment three times because of these updates, and I'm about to put a shotgun round through it.

I know Windows has to update (since they can't ever get it right in the first place), but I want to update it at a time when it's convenient for ME, not for Microsoft. Who owns this thing, anyway, Microsoft or me? Linux has NEVER been so inconsiderately rude with it's update policy; it's far more respectful of the user than Microsoft has ever been. So how can I get this 600-pound gorilla of an OS under some semblance of control? I can't find any option to disable updates, or confine updates to a specific time of day/night, or forbid updates at other times. Can I just disconnect from my home network as a makeshift way of cutting Windows off from being able to download it's oh-so-critical update files? Will this work to get this (expletives deleted) OS to behave in a manner less annoying to me?

Thanks for any suggestions to fix this intensely annoying, out-of-control OS.

:)

kharrisma, Jun 12, 2019

2. (SOLVED/CLOSED)looking for help with Android phone CONSTANT wireless signal notification

Yeah, thats not a solution she is interested in......I've suggested that course of action. Thanks though.

Just to clarify, I feel that there MUST be a step, or series of steps to turn off JUST the wireless notification sound. Thats what Im driving @ here.

jboydgolfer, Jun 12, 2019
  3. mbmeadows Win User
    Constant script errors and slow loading pages in 10 internet explorer 11

I have done the steps listed above. They have not helped and I am still getting constant script errors, along with slow loading pages. Are there any other suggestions?

mbmeadows, Jun 12, 2019
  4. joeyck Win User

[FS][US]   AMD x6 + AM2+ motherboard + DDR2 RAM + Sound Card = Insanely low price!

Constant Updates Driving me insane! [​IMG]

Just added this bad boy to the list! Insanely good sound card allows for maximum audio quality from BF3. Good to hear foot steps. All in all just a bad @55 card

joeyck, Jun 12, 2019
Thema:

1. Constant Updates Driving me insane! - Similar Threads - Constant Updates Driving

2. This is driving me insane,

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    This is driving me insane,: [ATTACH] Maximized windows create a bar at the bottom that obscures a portion of the taskbar. Clicking on the taskbar makes it disappear but it's still annoying. Any fix? submitted by /u/Moheron [link] [comments]...
  3. Upload Issue - Driving Me Insane

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Upload Issue - Driving Me Insane: Hi All - I will try to be as specific as possible with this issue When trying to upload to vimeo, facebook or youtube from my PC the upload speed skyrockets to 99% or 100% then just stays there. Sometimes it will reset and just do the same. The files do not upload and I have...
  4. Upload Issue - Driving Me Insane

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Upload Issue - Driving Me Insane: Hi All - I will try to be as specific as possible with this issue When trying to upload to vimeo, facebook or youtube from my PC the upload speed skyrockets to 99% or 100% then just stays there. Sometimes it will reset and just do the same. The files do not upload and I have...
  5. Audio issue is driving me to insanity

Audio issue is driving me to insanity: Hello all, I am not sure if this is even an appropriate place to post this problem but I am at my wit's end. Recently I have ran into some audio issues; the system's audio will default back to 50 automatically if I alt tab between applications or switch between my two...
  6. The 2004 update is driving me insane

The 2004 update is driving me insane: First it got stuck in windows update while it was installing. Today I got Windows 10 Update Assistant and it is currently at 99%. It took 6 hours to get here and I'm afraid it's stuck at 99% now. Why can't the process of updating be simple and quick? I don't even know what...
  7. Windows store driving me insane

Windows store driving me insane: Hey guys, So basically, ever since i reinstalled windows 10 version 2004, the store keeps saying that i have 22 app updates, if i select Get updates, they just sit there pending for a week, if i try to force an update, the circle just keeps circling and its driving me...
  8. Windows 10 crashes constantly, and it's slowly driving me insane.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 crashes constantly, and it's slowly driving me insane.: Ever since Win 10 installed itself on my computer, I have had nothing but issues. it has corrupted itself multiple times, forcing me to have to reinstall, created accounts that shouldn't exist, randomly acts like I'm not the admin of my own computer I can't run the "cfs...
  9. Constant crashing driving me insane!

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Constant crashing driving me insane!: I am so annoyed that I built this 5,000$ crash machine. I am not exactly tech illiterate, but when I have to learn coding to read dump files to even have a possibility of know what could possibly be wrong, and I spend 8+hrs a day troubleshooting rather than gaming.....I am...
  10. captcha error driving me insane!

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    captcha error driving me insane!: I keep getting this message when trying to enter my details in forms that require a captcha - like competition entries...….. Your computer or network may be sending automated queries. To protect our users, we can't process your request right now. For more details visit our...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. delete ModifiableWindowsApps