Windows 10: Constant Updates Driving me insane!

Discus and support Constant Updates Driving me insane! in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Does anyone know if there's a way to force Windows to STOP continually downloading "updates" and re-booting? I deliberately do NOT shut down my PC... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by kharrisma, Jun 12, 2019.

1. kharrisma Win User

Constant Updates Driving me insane!

Does anyone know if there's a way to force Windows to STOP continually downloading "updates" and re-booting?

I deliberately do NOT shut down my PC when I'm done with it... I don't like the long boot times that Windows users have to suffer through, and I especially don't like the startup time that some Windows programs require as well... if there's a program that's slower to load than Windows photo viewer, I've not seen it (other than GIMP, anyway.)

I use Windows mainly for gaming (and Linux for any serious work), and many of the games I play have very long load times as well. Not wanting to have to wait through this load up time multiple times per day, I just alt+tab out of the game and put it down until later.

I've got it set up as a dual-boot system: Windows 10 and Linux Mint. The system defaults to Linux Mint if it gets no input from me. This is how I know that Windows has updated/rebooted yet again, as when I open it up, I'm looking at the Linux login screen.

This *&%@@#'! thing has "updated" fully three times in the last five days, and I'm getting really sick of it. Another reason I don't shut things down is that many of the games I play don't have a "save and quit" option, they use the odious "checkpoint" system, so unless you've reached a checkpoint, if you quit the game you lose any progress since the last checkpoint. I have had to laboriously re-trace my way through the same game segment three times because of these updates, and I'm about to put a shotgun round through it.

I know Windows has to update (since they can't ever get it right in the first place), but I want to update it at a time when it's convenient for ME, not for Microsoft. Who owns this thing, anyway, Microsoft or me? Linux has NEVER been so inconsiderately rude with it's update policy; it's far more respectful of the user than Microsoft has ever been. So how can I get this 600-pound gorilla of an OS under some semblance of control? I can't find any option to disable updates, or confine updates to a specific time of day/night, or forbid updates at other times. Can I just disconnect from my home network as a makeshift way of cutting Windows off from being able to download it's oh-so-critical update files? Will this work to get this (expletives deleted) OS to behave in a manner less annoying to me?

Thanks for any suggestions to fix this intensely annoying, out-of-control OS.

:)

kharrisma, Jun 12, 2019

2. (SOLVED/CLOSED)looking for help with Android phone CONSTANT wireless signal notification

Yeah, thats not a solution she is interested in......I've suggested that course of action. Thanks though.

Just to clarify, I feel that there MUST be a step, or series of steps to turn off JUST the wireless notification sound. Thats what Im driving @ here.

jboydgolfer, Jun 12, 2019
  3. mbmeadows Win User
    Constant script errors and slow loading pages in 10 internet explorer 11

I have done the steps listed above. They have not helped and I am still getting constant script errors, along with slow loading pages. Are there any other suggestions?

mbmeadows, Jun 12, 2019
  4. joeyck Win User

[FS][US]   AMD x6 + AM2+ motherboard + DDR2 RAM + Sound Card = Insanely low price!

Constant Updates Driving me insane! [​IMG]

Just added this bad boy to the list! Insanely good sound card allows for maximum audio quality from BF3. Good to hear foot steps. All in all just a bad @55 card

joeyck, Jun 12, 2019
Thema:

1. Constant Updates Driving me insane! - Similar Threads - Constant Updates Driving

2. Constant crashing driving me insane!

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Constant crashing driving me insane!: I am so annoyed that I built this 5,000$ crash machine. I am not exactly tech illiterate, but when I have to learn coding to read dump files to even have a possibility of know what could possibly be wrong, and I spend 8+hrs a day troubleshooting rather than gaming.....I am...
  3. Update is driving me insane. Update files are missing or have problems.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Update is driving me insane. Update files are missing or have problems.: This update is driving me insane. 2019-02 Cumulative Update for .NET Framework 3.5 and 4.7.2 for Windows 10 Version 1809 for x64 (KB4483452 Once done it starts to install then I get this message. Some update files are missing or have problems. We'll try to download the...
  4. Windows 10 WMS and WU are broken and driving me insane.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 WMS and WU are broken and driving me insane.: Hi Everyone, I have been using a PC I built with Windows 10 installed for about 3 years now. I have run into some issues that are making me lose my mind and rendering my PC unusable at times. My build: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Spcjr/saved/z9MCJx The issues that I am...
  5. Windows constantly tells me to "restart to repair drive errors"

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows constantly tells me to "restart to repair drive errors": Its random but happens at least once a week. Then i restart it and while its shutting down it gets a blue screen and then boots into system repair. Granted my drive is old, and probably near its end, but i have almost no problems with it anymore. What makes it repair these...
  6. captcha error driving me insane!

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    captcha error driving me insane!: I keep getting this message when trying to enter my details in forms that require a captcha - like competition entries...….. Your computer or network may be sending automated queries. To protect our users, we can't process your request right now. For more details visit our...
  7. Bluetooth headphone audio issue is driving me insane! Help!

in Windows 10 Support
    Bluetooth headphone audio issue is driving me insane! Help!: I bought 2 pairs of Wireless Bluetooth Headphones to compare: A pair of TaoTronics TT-BH22 and a pair of Betron HD800. I also bought an EkoBuy® Bluetooth 4.0 USB Dongle Adapter for PC. I used the CD that came with it to download the necessary drivers (which worked). Side...
  8. High DPC found for multiple drivers, driving me insane

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    High DPC found for multiple drivers, driving me insane: Hey folks, after probably about 10 hours wasted just looking for a way to fix this, I'm finally asking for help. The past week or so there's been more than subtle audio crackling, nothing too annoying but it makes my games lag in spurts as well. The crackling usually...
  9. Drive permissions error 0x80070522, driving me insane

in Windows 10 Support
    Drive permissions error 0x80070522, driving me insane: Alright, so I just recently did a fresh installation of Windows 10 onto an SSD, and now I'm trying to get at all my personal data, which is on a separate HDD. I can access the data it seems, but whenever I try to do certain things like write to the root of the drive for...
  10. Windows 10 constantly and insanely switches to another keyboard layout

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 constantly and insanely switches to another keyboard layout: Hello. I've been having a weird issue for the last two days with Windows 10 10586.17. Normally I use the Spanish - Latin American keyboard layout besides the English - US one. Windows recently decided to add Spanish - Spanish (which is really different from the other one) and...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. delete ModifiableWindowsApps