Windows 10: Constantly getting default gateway is not available

Discus and support Constantly getting default gateway is not available in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; This issue has been occurring for the last couple of days, my internet (wire connection) just stops working, i troubleshoot the problem and after ~30... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by alaslipknot, Jan 12, 2018.

1. Constantly getting default gateway is not available

This issue has been occurring for the last couple of days, my internet (wire connection) just stops working, i troubleshoot the problem and after ~30 seconds it said it fixed the :
    default gateway is not available
    and sometimes i get :
    The connection between your access point, routers, or cable modem and the internet is broken
    this 2nd error don't get fixed when it appears, it have a yellow triangle, but the internet works.
    I tried :

• reinstalling the driver (latest version of the intel network drivier for the MSI Z270 sli)
    • those ipconfig steps (flushdns, release, etc..)
    • removed VmWare adapters (i use virtual machine sometimes)
    • installed "Complete Internet repair" ticked all the boxes and apply.

And the issue is still occurring, knowing that all of my other devices (phones, ps4, switch, other computers) all work fine.
    any idea how i can identify the issue please ?
    The only clue that i have is that this have started occurring after i tried using DNS4ME to watch Netflix outside the U.S, but i made sure to reverse all the steps they asked to do here

also,
    I am using 2 Routers,

• ZTE provided by my ISP (ZXHN H367N)
    • Asus RT-N12+
    The computer with the problem is connected to the ZTE with a cable, ZTE is also having its own Wifi so my other devices can connect to it.
    The Asus router is connected to the ZTE via cable into to the available 4 ports that you use to connect any other device (i have a red port in the ZTE called WLAN but i never used that).
    The reason i use the Asus router is because it allows me to control the bandwidth for those connected to it, so am using it as a "guest wifi access point"
    Could this be the issue ?
    i am not sure what i should be looking for but is this normal :

Constantly getting default gateway is not available [​IMG]

The 1st client is the Asus router, 2nd is this computer, is it okay that the router doesn't have an IpV6 address ?
    Internet got cut while the Asus router is completely unplugged, and after troubleshooting am getting this :

Knowing that the Issue (default gateway is not available) is still happening even when the Asus router is completely disconnected and shutdown.

ipconfig/all result :

C:\WINDOWS\system32>ipconfig/all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : MegaMonster
    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
    Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Ethernet:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) Ethernet Connection (2) I219-V
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 4C-CC-6A-AE-15-4D
    DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
    Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::b9b3:9aeb:f92f:7b61%17(Preferred)
    IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.100.21(Preferred)
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Friday, January 12, 2018 23:30:55
    Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Saturday, January 13, 2018 23:30:55
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.100.1
    DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.100.1
    DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 323800170
    DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-20-9B-07-38-4C-CC-6A-AE-15-4D
    DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : fe80::1%17
    NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Ethernet adapter Connexion réseau Bluetooth 4:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Bluetooth Device (Personal Area Network) #4
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-1F-81-00-08-30
    DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes

Tunnel adapter Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
    DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
    IPv6 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 2001:0:9d38:6abd:3819:36c6:d61d:82e(Preferred)
    Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::3819:36c6:d61d:82e%6(Preferred)
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : ::
    DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 419430400
    DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-20-9B-07-38-4C-CC-6A-AE-15-4D
    NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled

C:\WINDOWS\system32>

Edit:

could this help ? running ipconfig/all when the net is broken give a different result for the Tunnel adapter Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-interface, it has less more values than the "normal one"
    Tunnel adapter Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
    DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No

Thank you!

:)

alaslipknot, Jan 12, 2018
  2. graham.d Win User

Default gateway-issue,

Default gateway-issue, constantly dropping out an annoying problem.

Default gateway is not available, always resolved by the trouble shooter

I have checked, it is not a power management issue

Moved from: [Windows / Windows 10 / Performance & system failures]

graham.d, Jan 12, 2018
  3. No internet found after switching WLAN connection, Default Gateway not updating

After the previous update on my Lenovo Z51 running windows 10, I've found that switching he wi-fi connection to any other network causes the network to appear to have "no internet connection". Troubleshooting the network fixes the problem with the message
    "default gateway not available - fixed". This happens every time I switch networks regardless of which network I connect to or whether I've connected to that network before. The problem seems to be that the default gateway doesn't update when the network is
    switched.

Here is the "default gateway" part of the "Wireless LAN Adapter" output of
    ipconfig
    during different conditions:

Normal, working connection to network 1:

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : fe80::1%18

After connecting to network 2, no internet found:

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1

After running network diagnostics, "default gateway not available - fixed":

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1

After connecting again to network 1, no internet found:

After running network diagnostics, "default gateway not available - fixed":

What seems to be the problem and is there any way to fix this? I am constantly moving around and frequently have to connect to different WLANs.

Ethernet connections do not seem to be affected

The laptop is dual booted with Linux, which has no problem switching networks, hence the
    network interface card is working fine

AniketPande, Jan 12, 2018
  4. Constantly getting default gateway is not available

Hi alaslipknot.

You said this started after you installed DNS4ME. Likely this has cause corruption.

Your router config looks fine and the way it is set up looks fine. As you said the other devices are fine that are connected to your ZTE. You also said issue happens when Asus removed. Your Asus in my opinion has nothing to do with this.

Something is corrupt in computer.

First I would power cycle ZTE router, easy to do and gets it out of the way.

Next on I would reset your Network on your computer.

Start > Settings > Network and Internet > Scroll to bottom on right hand side > Reset Network.

You will have to install any custom communication software like VPN's and maybe your VM connections.

I would then run the following four bolded commands. Use a Command Prompt(admin) or Powershell(admin)
    Do not key in info in brackets, there for your information.
    ipconfig /flushdns (Clear the dns cache)
    nbtstat -RR (release and refesh NetBIOS names)
    netsh int ip reset (reset ip settings)
    netsh winsock reset (Reset Winsock Catalog)

Hopefully this sets things back to the way they were. As an alternative if you have restore points enable you could run system restore.

We recommend Macrium Reflect to take images of your system. Easy to restore, free and reliable.

Backup and Restore with Macrium Reflect

Ken

Caledon Ken, Jan 12, 2018
  5. Hi Caledon Ken,

Thanks a lot for the help man!

This just mean turn off--wait ~30sec--turn it on again right ? if yes, then done.

I also did all the other steps you mentioned, I had a little issue with netsh int ip reset :

I googled it and the 1st result solved the issue, so yeah now that all is done, i think i just have to wait and see.

Also not sure if this is related but when i was running out of solution I installed MalwareByte and run a scan and it found :
    adware.elex.shrtcln withing chrome files, am a bit surprised why Windows defender didn't caught that, but yeah, glad its out.

Thanks and i'll update this post tomorrow!

have a good day

6. Update

damn... it didn't take that long to get messed up again ...

Honestly am almost sure that it's some malware messing around with my network, is there a way to debug these kind of events ? for example filter the system log to only see network related actions ?

Thanks!

7. Bree New Member
    It's a Potentially Unwanted Program (PUP) and Defender doesn't detect those by default. It does however have the ability to detect PUPs (or PUAs as Microsoft calls them). This is intended for use in the Enterprise, but can be turned on in any edition of Windows 10.

Enable or Disable Windows Defender PUA Protection in Windows 10

8. Bree New Member

Constantly getting default gateway is not available

9. yeah but is there a way to be sure that the issue is caused by that adware ?
    any chance windows can tell what app is messing with its network settings ?

10. Well as long shots sometimes pay off, did you replace lan cable?

You said you are using the latest driver for your Lan, lets go back one or two. Note the version number in device manager before and after installing to confirm installation took.

Also we need to temporarily shut off Windows Driver updates. Option four in the tutorial.

Enable or Disable Driver Updates in Windows Update in Windows 10

11. Yes i did replace the cable (3 times)

Also when uninstalled the driver the first time, restarted, the driver got installed again with a 2015 version, which is supposedly the one i got when i just bought (build) this pc, so i don't think it's related to that but i'll try it anyway.

However, i still wanna know something, in the Windows event log, it must be a way to see when the network is not working right ? forget about the DNS and default gateway, the OS must log when the internet is cut off, can i see and filter that ? i want to know EXACTLY when did this started to happen, it would help a lot getting to the end of this.

12. Yes I would expect that this is being recorded under the System portion of the log.

Open the log and then use the filter on right. Exactly what you should filter for is the question. I'd start with the word connection.

Search and there are a lot of issues with your NIC. Think I just got one, oh joy.

Found this.

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/...connected.html

I haven't tried, you have to decide suitability. After you confirm older driver doesn't work you may wish to head to intel and see what drivers and tools they have.

Ken

13. Constantly getting default gateway is not available

UPDATE:

Problem solved *Smile

i feel a bit stupid for not taking a screenshot before doing it, but, in the adapter options, after going to the properties of the network, there was another "thing" (no idea what these are called) in the position of the red line the picture below :

It had the same "screen" icon, and was named "Intel Technologie (r) [something]", and all i did was uninstall that, the reason i did it, is because i turned on my old computer (built in 2015 and running the exact version of Windows) i went to the network propreties and started comparing, and that Intel thing didn't exists in that computer, i know the main reason is because the old pc has a Realtek hardware while my current one is using Intel, but i was like "screw it!" and just deleted it, I've done this 2 days ago btw, and I just waited to confirm that the problem is gone for good, and it did.

Note:
    I just received a major windows 10 update this morning (running version 1709 now) and checked the network property after it and that Intel thing wasn't added automatically.

Thank you all for your help!

alaslipknot, Jan 14, 2018
  14. Hey great news. Thank you for posting solution to your issue.

Caledon Ken, Jan 14, 2018
  15. cheers! thanks for the help mate *Smile

alaslipknot, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Constantly getting default gateway is not available

1. Constantly getting default gateway is not available - Similar Threads - Constantly getting default

2. The default gateway is not available.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    The default gateway is not available.: I just recently reset my computer removed all my files, and during the setup, the computer connected, but I have no internet access. I ran the troubleshooter but it couldn't resolve my issue. I've tried multiple solutions but they all didn't work. I've tried enabling and...
  3. The Default Gateway is Not Available

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    The Default Gateway is Not Available: This has been happening since updates. I have tried all solutions and nothing is working. Everytime I put the computer to sleep or start up, it's not connected to the internet. I do a troubleshoot and it ALWAYS comes up the same. "Reset the Wi-fi Adapter," The Default Gateway...
  4. Default Gateway not available

Default Gateway not available: Every hour or so I get kicked off the internet. First Teams goes. Then Zoom a few seconds later. Then I'm kicked off wifi. When I troubleshoot, it says Default gateway unavailable "fixed". Then I get back on and it happens again within 30 min to an hour. Seems to happen when...
  5. Constant Internet Disconnections Default Gateway is not available

Constant Internet Disconnections Default Gateway is not available: Can someone please help me with this issue? I've been dealing with it off and on for months and now that I'm working from home it's insufferable. My computer constantly disconnects from the internet, sometimes it will disconnect and I will troubleshoot it, it will connect...
  6. The Default Gateway Is Not Available constantly.

The Default Gateway Is Not Available constantly.: I have a Dell Inspiron 15 5000 Series with Intel (R) Dual Band Wireless AC 3160, running Windows 10. The problem is that my internet keeps disconnecting, but my WiFi is still connected, no internet. I have run the troubleshooter and this message comes up: "The default...
  7. Default Gateway Not Available

Default Gateway Not Available: I have been having this problem for months now... every time I attempt transfer a large amount of data between my computers, one or both of the machines lose their network connection and windows does the "Default Gateway is not available thing" I have looked online and tried...
  8. "The default gateway is not available"

"The default gateway is not available": Hello all, I recently got a new laptop and I've been having trouble with connecting to the internet. Several times a day, internet pages will stop loading and Windows diagnostics will come up with the message "The default gateway is not available". This is fixed by...
  9. Default gateway not available

Default gateway not available: Help! I've searched for hours for help on this issue and can't seem to solve my limited internet issue. First it was showing up: IP not configured correctly I input the following (which I found off another random site so don't even know if it's right) IP:...
  10. Default Gateway Not Available

Default Gateway Not Available: I have been having this problem for months now... every time I attempt transfer a large amount of data between my computers, one or both of the machines lose their network connection and windows does the "Default Gateway is not available thing" I have looked online and...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. default gateway is not available constantly

2. the default gateway is not available constantly