Windows 10: Contacts Folder

Discus and support Contacts Folder in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I cant find my contacts folder. Well, that's not exactly true, I do have a folder at "C:\Users\xxx\Contacts", but it's just a regular folder. Seems to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by kitpzyxmsir, May 30, 2017.

1. Contacts Folder

I cant find my contacts folder. Well, that's not exactly true, I do have a folder at "C:\Users\xxx\Contacts", but it's just a regular folder. Seems to have happened around the time I installed the creators update?

Searching for an answer It looks like I 'm way behind the times since I seem to be the only one still using it, or wanting to.

I like it because its an easy way for me to have a backup for my phone contacts that I can edit easily and import back to my phone.

Has this feature been phased out? Whats a good alternative?

I know about the "People App", but I find it crude and clumsy. I don't want my email always open and accessible from the desktop. I'd rather open it form the browser and let the password manager do the work. Maybe I'm doing it wrong. Help.

:)

kitpzyxmsir, May 30, 2017

2. Contacts Folder ????

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community. Let me assist you.

The Windows Contact Folder is replaced by the People app on Windows 10. Type People on the search bar and go to the People app and sign in with your email id. All your mail contacts will be synced with this app. You can even add your
    Facebook and other social media contacts to People App.

Refer the link below:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/...k-and-other-social-networks-to-the-people-app

Hope this information is helpful. Please do let us know if you need further assistance, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Pawan Dhondiyal, May 30, 2017
  3. B Munro Win User
    Contacts Folder ????

Have updated to Windows 10 and cannot find Windows Contact folder anywhere on my machine!

B Munro, May 30, 2017
  4. Contacts Folder

Hi kitpzyxmsir

Could you share what kind of phone you are using and which domain you use for mail, (@outlook.com, @gmail.com, etc ) and if you are using POP, IMAP or EAS?

This will help if people have some suggestions / alternatives.

Ken

Caledon Ken, May 30, 2017
  5. Mystere Win User
    I don't recall any Contacts folder... not saying it didn't exist, but it's probably been a long time. There is now a People app, have you tried using that?

Mystere, May 30, 2017
  6. dalchina New Member
    Well, there's something I've never used, but does exist still:

Windows Contacts - Wikipedia

Contacts Folder [​IMG]

I simply typed contacts in Cortana's search field, and clicked on the result.
    However, this would be a completely isolated, manually maintained set of data, whereas the People App is intended to sync with data from multiple accounts and across devices. Thus it is a relic, presumably provided so people can't complain about losing data stored there.

The contacts feature (folder above) does not appear in the Start Menu by default.
    Windows Contacts - Windows Tutorials
    - used by (the withdrawn) Windows Mail of which a relic still exists in Win 10:

Contacts Folder [​IMG]

Perhaps somewhat confusingly there's this:

Contacts Folder [​IMG]

- which I would guess does not make use of that folder, rather the People app's data.

I would, however, have concerns about the security (or complete lack of it) of the data in that folder.

dalchina, May 30, 2017
  7. Edwin New Member
    You can still use the Windows Contacts folder but you'll need to create contacts manually or import contacts from a VCard file, and use a 3rd party email client.

Contacts Folder [​IMG]

Edwin, May 30, 2017
  8. Mystere Win User

Contacts Folder

Oh, right... THAT contacts folder. Now I remember.

IIRC this was like an XP-era feature designed to integrate with Outlook Express and the like.

Yes, I do notice it has a virtual shell folder, with various options. There is likely a way to re-register this shell extension, but a quick google did not turn anything up... Maybe someone else can come up with the dll to register.

Mystere, May 31, 2017
  9. Have you installed the Creators update? I ask because the only explanation I have is that my installation of the Creators update eliminated "Contacts"

That's what my "C:\Users\xxx\Contacts" used to look like, with all the options for import, export, etc.

Now for me it just looks like a regular empty folder.

If someone has Creators, can you confirm?

XP had an address book, basically a file with a .wab extension, so the "Contacts" feature that you see in Edwins post came sometime after.

I jumped straight from XP to Windows 10, was able to import/convert that backed up .wab file into "Contacts".

I got the Creators update about a week ago, and a few days later realized the Contacts folder had changed, so it either happened at that point or due to another fairly recent Windows cumulative update.

That's what I'm trying to confirm. As you discovered, there isn't anything out there addressing this.

Looks like I'm going to need another option, probably a third party contacts manager, that I can easily sync my phone contacts with via .vcf, in both directions.

I've checked out a few, maybe someone would like to recommend something?

Yeh, I suspect the developers had the same opinion of this "relic", and it wasn't secure,

The Peoples app is completely separate and poorly conceived, IMO, thats why I'm looking for a substitute.

thanks

kitpzyxmsir, Jun 1, 2017
  10. My wife was using Companion Link. It was okay but plenty of sync failures.

In essence we use "People" on our outlook.com web accounts as the book of record. On our pc we use Outlook 2013. Without the use of a third party we can change contact info on PC, or web or phone and they all sync. I have an iPhone and she has old Android Samsung Galaxy.

I have one Outlook.com account and I just use it for data, people, tasks, calendar.

Could I pry a little and ask what is you don't like about the People app?

Caledon Ken, Jun 1, 2017
  11. It's been a while since I tinkered with it. I just tried it again. From what I remembered, with my over 400 contacts, it was quite a chore scrolling thru that interface. I dont remember having to sync it with an email account before to import contacts, but that's the only way It appears to work now. I tried to hook it up to my gmail, but it wont let me copy/paste my password from my password manager into the field (why do they do that?), and the password is hidden once you type it in (why do they do that??), and with my 20 character password, I guess I made an error that couldn't be seen, so I don't feel like fighting that all day (sheesh!), and once I do manage to set it up, it'll be an automatic login to my email, but I dont want that kind of easy access to my email from the desktop, I prefer to access it from my browser using my password manager.

I've had a lot of frustration keeping a clean phone contact list. No matter how I try to set it up, it gets mixed up with my gmail contacts, and I end up in a mess of multiple entries for the same contacts which destroys voice calling attempts, and complicates manual selection. I need a contact manager list that will maintain a pristine, single entry list, with only phone numbers.

That old contact list did that, but it was far from perfect. I could import on my phone just fine, but in the other direction, I could only import one contact at a time from the main file to the computer contact list.

Well, you asked. *Wink I'm out of breath.

If I'm doing it wrong, please tell me a better way to manage it, I'd appreciate it.

kitpzyxmsir, Jun 1, 2017
  12. Can't say you are doing it wrong, we each have our methods that work for us.

I agree with not having easy access to email from desktop so I login to my machine. If it sleeps it requires password. If I'm in a strange place, Crtl-Alt-Delete, then lock. I'm kind of using the idea that I lock the front door to my house but once I'm in my house I have access to all my stuff.

Interesting on phone and voice dialing. Each phone must be different. I will give my wife's android a try. At least on my phone I say call John Doe Work or John Doe Mobile and it calls that number.

By using web address book, gmail in your case, my address list is pushed to phone, tablet and Desktop. No importing required and if I want a special backup I can export a file. A change anywhere and they all sync up. (and they all have passwords)

Wish I had a contact manager suggestion. Lots of other members, lots of other ideas.

One thing I found in some cases where you want to paste a password and right clicking doesn't work, CRTL-V sometimes does.

Ken

Caledon Ken, Jun 1, 2017
  13. Contacts Folder

The problem is that the phone contact list is the source for the voice prompt. If you ask to call someone, it will look for the phone number on the appropriate line in the contact. If there are multiple phone numbers and/or notes have been incorporated into that line in the contact file, where only a single phone number belongs, it cant dial the number.

In my case, when things sync, it creates duplicates on duplicates. For example, I created 10 separate contacts for a particular company, but after involuntary gmail syncing, I now have 16, and they are a mixed up mess. I went into one of them and the "Connected Via" category (where they were imported from) has 6 icons; 2 phone icons, and 4 gmail icons. I only have one phone and 2 gmail accounts, so hard to figure.

That was my problem. It doesn't allow CRTL-V, so I had to blindly try to enter a 20 character password. Thoughtless design. Little things like that make a big difference sometimes.

So for now the conversation changes, and I hope you will permit me.

I found a third party PC contact manager. So, right now, If someone could suggest an app that can export a .csv type phone list with all the details in each contact (it seems that some export with some information omitted, like notes), that would be appreciated

kitpzyxmsir, Jun 2, 2017
  14. f14tomcat Win User
    Contacts folder does exist in your User Folder. 15063 AU. I just added a bogus contact and exported it as a .cvs. Is this what you're looking for?

Contacts Folder [​IMG]

f14tomcat, Jun 2, 2017
  15. Hi f14tomcat,

As I mentioned in my OP

This is what it now looks like

Attachment 137903

Microsoft Windows 10 Professional (x64) Build 15063.332 (RS2) release 170317-1834.

Do you have the creators update?

kitpzyxmsir, Jun 3, 2017
Thema:

Contacts Folder

1. Contacts Folder - Similar Threads - Contacts Folder

2. The "Action" bar for the Windows Contacts Folder does not appear in the folder's shortcut.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    The "Action" bar for the Windows Contacts Folder does not appear in the folder's shortcut.: The action bar for Windows Contacts folder only exists when I open the folder directly original location, but not in the shortcut of the folder.How can I fix this?ORIGINAL LOCATION FOLDER:SHORTCUT FOLDER:...
  3. The "Action" bar for the Windows Contacts Folder does not appear in the folder's shortcut.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    The "Action" bar for the Windows Contacts Folder does not appear in the folder's shortcut.: The action bar for Windows Contacts folder only exists when I open the folder directly original location, but not in the shortcut of the folder.How can I fix this?ORIGINAL LOCATION FOLDER:SHORTCUT FOLDER:...
  4. My Windows contacts folder is missing the export toolbar

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My Windows contacts folder is missing the export toolbar: My Windows Contacts directory is missing the Export toolbar in File Explorer and also in Directory Opus. The result is that I can no longer export Windows .contact files to VCF and import them elsewhere, such as to my phone. Disaster!I have been using Windows Contacts for...
  5. My Windows contacts folder is missing the export toolbar

My Windows contacts folder is missing the export toolbar: My Windows Contacts directory is missing the Export toolbar in File Explorer and also in Directory Opus. The result is that I can no longer export Windows .contact files to VCF and import them elsewhere, such as to my phone. Disaster!I have been using Windows Contacts for...
  6. How can I see my 'contacts' in my 'contacts' folder?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How can I see my 'contacts' in my 'contacts' folder?: Microsoft takes all my links and wants to store them in the cloud. I want to see my links in my local 'contacts' and 'favourites'. What's up Microsoft? Can't you do that? If you need to have them in the cloud, can you also store them back into my local folders....
  7. How can I see my 'contacts' in my 'contacts' folder?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How can I see my 'contacts' in my 'contacts' folder?: Microsoft takes all my links and wants to store them in the cloud. I want to see my links in my local 'contacts' and 'favourites'. What's up Microsoft? Can't you do that? If you need to have them in the cloud, can you also store them back into my local folders....
  8. How can I see my 'contacts' in my 'contacts' folder?

9. How do I create a new .contact file in my 'Contacts' folder?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I create a new .contact file in my 'Contacts' folder?: I am still learning the idiosyncrasies of Windows 11.I have a 'Contacts' folder full of '.contact' files, but I cannot find how to create a new entry .contact file.I believe that had originally copied and pasted the existing files.How do I create a new .contact file in this...
  10. How do I create a new .contact file in my 'Contacts' folder?

How do I create a new .contact file in my 'Contacts' folder?: I am still learning the idiosyncrasies of Windows 11.I have a 'Contacts' folder full of '.contact' files, but I cannot find how to create a new entry .contact file.I believe that had originally copied and pasted the existing files.How do I create a new .contact file in this...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. contacts folder