Windows 10: Contacts Folder

Discus and support Contacts Folder in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; @kitpzyxmsir If you right click on the Contacts folder, is the Target in Properties/Location properly defined? What happens if you create a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by kitpzyxmsir, May 30, 2017.

1. Edwin New Member

Contacts Folder

@kitpzyxmsir
    If you right click on the Contacts folder, is the Target in Properties/Location properly defined?

What happens if you create a contact in your folder?

Edwin, Jun 3, 2017
  2. f14tomcat Win User

Yes. It was a typo. I put Au instead of CU.

f14tomcat, Jun 3, 2017
  3. f14tomcat Win User
    Thanks, Edwin. That's why I went and mocked up one in mine, to show it could be done.

f14tomcat, Jun 3, 2017
  4. Contacts Folder

"C:\Users\xxx\Contacts".

Do you mean if I move a contact(s) to the folder, as in a file from a .vcf folder? It will reside there like any other file. I can click on an individual contact file, and the profile will open to exhibit the information. At this moment, it is nothing more in structure than a generic folder.

If you guys have the latest updates as I do, then I really stumped here? I'm pretty sure it happened around the time of the creators update, but it could be a coincidence, I suppose.

kitpzyxmsir, Jun 4, 2017
  5. Mystere Win User
    More than likely, your Contacts folder shell extension became de-registered during an upgrade process (or rather, didn't survive a migration to a new version). In theory, if you knew what DLL it was that provided that functionality, you could just re-register the shell extension. But, I don't know what it might be, and a google search did not return any immediately visible results.

The only other option might be to do a Reset, which should re-register everything.

Mystere, Jun 4, 2017
  6. f14tomcat Win User
    @Mystere
    Not sure if this is what you're referring to. Using shellexview ShellExView - Shell Extension Manager For Windows
    I can see this. The display line is quite long, but here are snippets of it. Is this the DLL?

Contacts Folder [​IMG]

Contacts Folder [​IMG]

f14tomcat, Jun 4, 2017
  7. Mystere Win User
    Yes, that looks like it might be it.
    @kitpzyxmsir - You might try running this command from an elevated command prompt (cmd - run as administrator)

Code: regsvr32 /i "C:\Windows\System32\Common Files\System\wab32.dll"[/quote]

Mystere, Jun 4, 2017
  8. Contacts Folder

[/quote] Tried it and got:

Attachment 138077

wab32.dll exists in 4 different locations. Used Winaero's reg file to register it from the context menu and got variations of this, depending on location:

Attachment 138079

kitpzyxmsir, Jun 4, 2017
  9. f14tomcat Win User
    This folder does not exist on my machine, even with all hidden attributes turned off.
    C:\Windows\System32\Common Files\System\wab32.dll

f14tomcat, Jun 4, 2017
  10. Edwin New Member
    @kitpzyxmsir
    Type shell:Contacts into a Run box and press OK or Enter; what do you get?

Also,
    if you right click an empty space in your 'Contacts' folder, do you see 'Customize this folder' in the right click menu and if so is 'Contacts' an option in the drop down menu?

Edwin, Jun 4, 2017
  11. f14tomcat Win User
    FWIW, I do not. Not even with shift+right click (extended). Those options are across the top.

Contacts Folder [​IMG]

f14tomcat, Jun 4, 2017
  12. Edwin New Member
    Edwin, Jun 4, 2017
  13. dalchina New Member

Contacts Folder

This is where it is on mine (x64)

Contacts Folder [​IMG]

dalchina, Jun 4, 2017
  14. Still the same.

Attachment 138183

kitpzyxmsir, Jun 4, 2017
  15. f14tomcat Win User
    I don't remember seeing in any posts that SFC /SCANNOW had been run. 10 minutes or less to rule out corruption if you want to run it.

Actually, this would do more....

Code: Dism.exe /online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup&sfc/scannow&Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth&sfc/scannow&pause[/quote]

f14tomcat, Jun 4, 2017
Thema:

Contacts Folder

1. Contacts Folder - Similar Threads - Contacts Folder

2. The "Action" bar for the Windows Contacts Folder does not appear in the folder's shortcut.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    The "Action" bar for the Windows Contacts Folder does not appear in the folder's shortcut.: The action bar for Windows Contacts folder only exists when I open the folder directly original location, but not in the shortcut of the folder.How can I fix this?ORIGINAL LOCATION FOLDER:SHORTCUT FOLDER:...
  3. The "Action" bar for the Windows Contacts Folder does not appear in the folder's shortcut.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    The "Action" bar for the Windows Contacts Folder does not appear in the folder's shortcut.: The action bar for Windows Contacts folder only exists when I open the folder directly original location, but not in the shortcut of the folder.How can I fix this?ORIGINAL LOCATION FOLDER:SHORTCUT FOLDER:...
  4. My Windows contacts folder is missing the export toolbar

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My Windows contacts folder is missing the export toolbar: My Windows Contacts directory is missing the Export toolbar in File Explorer and also in Directory Opus. The result is that I can no longer export Windows .contact files to VCF and import them elsewhere, such as to my phone. Disaster!I have been using Windows Contacts for...
  5. My Windows contacts folder is missing the export toolbar

My Windows contacts folder is missing the export toolbar: My Windows Contacts directory is missing the Export toolbar in File Explorer and also in Directory Opus. The result is that I can no longer export Windows .contact files to VCF and import them elsewhere, such as to my phone. Disaster!I have been using Windows Contacts for...
  6. How can I see my 'contacts' in my 'contacts' folder?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How can I see my 'contacts' in my 'contacts' folder?: Microsoft takes all my links and wants to store them in the cloud. I want to see my links in my local 'contacts' and 'favourites'. What's up Microsoft? Can't you do that? If you need to have them in the cloud, can you also store them back into my local folders....
  7. How can I see my 'contacts' in my 'contacts' folder?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How can I see my 'contacts' in my 'contacts' folder?: Microsoft takes all my links and wants to store them in the cloud. I want to see my links in my local 'contacts' and 'favourites'. What's up Microsoft? Can't you do that? If you need to have them in the cloud, can you also store them back into my local folders....
  8. How can I see my 'contacts' in my 'contacts' folder?

9. How do I create a new .contact file in my 'Contacts' folder?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I create a new .contact file in my 'Contacts' folder?: I am still learning the idiosyncrasies of Windows 11.I have a 'Contacts' folder full of '.contact' files, but I cannot find how to create a new entry .contact file.I believe that had originally copied and pasted the existing files.How do I create a new .contact file in this...
  10. How do I create a new .contact file in my 'Contacts' folder?

How do I create a new .contact file in my 'Contacts' folder?: I am still learning the idiosyncrasies of Windows 11.I have a 'Contacts' folder full of '.contact' files, but I cannot find how to create a new entry .contact file.I believe that had originally copied and pasted the existing files.How do I create a new .contact file in this...