Windows 10: Contacts Folder

Discus and support Contacts Folder in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I don't remember seeing in any posts that SFC /SCANNOW had been run. 10 minutes or less to rule out corruption if you want to run it. Actually, this... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by kitpzyxmsir, May 30, 2017.

1. Contacts Folder

[/quote] Attachment 138195

SFCFix version 3.0.0.0 by niemiro.
    Start time: 2017-06-05 12:00:55.776
    Microsoft Windows 10 Build 15063 - amd64
    Not using a script file.

AutoAnalysis::
    SUMMARY: No corruptions were detected.
    AutoAnalysis:: directive completed successfully.

Successfully processed all directives.
    Failed to generate a complete zip file. Upload aborted.

SFCFix version 3.0.0.0 by niemiro has completed.
    Currently storing 0 datablocks.
    Finish time: 2017-06-05 12:03:22.263
    ----------------------EOF-----------------------

kitpzyxmsir, Jun 4, 2017
  2. f14tomcat Win User

I think it needs to be run in a Command prompt, not Powershell.

f14tomcat, Jun 4, 2017
  3. Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.

kitpzyxmsir, Jun 5, 2017
  4. f14tomcat Win User

Contacts Folder

Good. Thanks for running it.

f14tomcat, Jun 5, 2017
  5. Mystere Win User
    Sorry, I misread that. It should be

Code: regsvr32 /i "C:\Program Files\Common Files\System\wab32.dll"[/quote] And if you have a 64 bit version of windows also do (make sure you use the version in syswow64 folder):

Code: C:\windows\syswow64\regsvr32 /i "C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\System\wab32.dll"[/quote] Ironically, the 32 bit version of regsvr32 is in the SysWOW64 folder. The 64 bit version of regsvr32 is in System32 (on 64 bit systems)

If those also generate the "valid DLL or OCX" message, then the DLL's may not be self-registering. You may need to get someone to export their registry settings for you.

Mystere, Jun 5, 2017
  6. And if you have a 64 bit version of windows also do (make sure you use the version in syswow64 folder):

Code: C:\windows\syswow64\regsvr32 /i "C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\System\wab32.dll"[/quote] Ironically, the 32 bit version of regsvr32 is in the SysWOW64 folder. The 64 bit version of regsvr32 is in System32 (on 64 bit systems)

If those also generate the "valid DLL or OCX" message, then the DLL's may not be self-registering. You may need to get someone to export their registry settings for you.[/quote] Hi Mystere;1043516,

Thanks for all you guys hangin' in there with me.

"valid DLL or OCX" still there.

kitpzyxmsir, Jun 5, 2017
  7. Mystere Win User
    Yeah, I gave it a try myself, and had the same results.

You're going to be stuck getting someone to export those registry settings, or else doing a Windows Reset to try and reinstall it.

Mystere, Jun 6, 2017
  8. f14tomcat Win User

Contacts Folder

Which reg settings are you referring to? Is it something I might have? Be happy to if I knew what they were. TC

f14tomcat, Jun 6, 2017
  9. I keep several Macrium backups, each one representing a sequential stage of custom development after a fresh install.

Yesterday, I restored the first in the series, and the Contacts folder was back.

Installed the latest windows updates...no negative effects.

In hindsight, I should have done it sooner, but was hoping for a solution that would save me from the excruciatingly tedious task of having to build the OS again from an immature stage. I mean, isn't that why I made those backups in the first place, so I could finally to avoid that? I just wish I had caught it sooner.

Ironically, in the final analysis, I probably wasted more of your time and mine than it would have taken going straight to the possible explanation from the beginning.

I will bring it back up to speed, carefully monitoring my steps along the way. I keep a comprehensive checklist that I follow in the procedure, so hopefully I will discover what caused it. If so, I will let you know in case you're still interested.

Sincere, thanks for everything. I did learn some good things along the way *Wink

kitpzyxmsir, Jun 6, 2017
  10. f14tomcat Win User
    I'm glad to hear you have a solution, unfortunately with some pain. Please do let us know what you find. It may help others if they hit that issue.

Take care. TC

f14tomcat, Jun 6, 2017
  11. I found the solution.

I was methodically rebuilding the OS, checking to verify along the way that my Contacts folder was still "Intact".

I started to implement some Winaero tweaks.

It was the "DISABLE AUTOMATIC FOLDER TYPE DISCOVERY" tweak in Winaero that broke the Contacts folder. Furthermore, unchecking the tweak did "not" undo the damage. I had to do a system restore to reverse it.

Thanks for all the help.

kitpzyxmsir, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Contacts Folder

1. Contacts Folder - Similar Threads - Contacts Folder

2. The "Action" bar for the Windows Contacts Folder does not appear in the folder's shortcut.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    The "Action" bar for the Windows Contacts Folder does not appear in the folder's shortcut.: The action bar for Windows Contacts folder only exists when I open the folder directly original location, but not in the shortcut of the folder.How can I fix this?ORIGINAL LOCATION FOLDER:SHORTCUT FOLDER:...
  3. The "Action" bar for the Windows Contacts Folder does not appear in the folder's shortcut.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    The "Action" bar for the Windows Contacts Folder does not appear in the folder's shortcut.: The action bar for Windows Contacts folder only exists when I open the folder directly original location, but not in the shortcut of the folder.How can I fix this?ORIGINAL LOCATION FOLDER:SHORTCUT FOLDER:...
  4. My Windows contacts folder is missing the export toolbar

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My Windows contacts folder is missing the export toolbar: My Windows Contacts directory is missing the Export toolbar in File Explorer and also in Directory Opus. The result is that I can no longer export Windows .contact files to VCF and import them elsewhere, such as to my phone. Disaster!I have been using Windows Contacts for...
  5. My Windows contacts folder is missing the export toolbar

My Windows contacts folder is missing the export toolbar: My Windows Contacts directory is missing the Export toolbar in File Explorer and also in Directory Opus. The result is that I can no longer export Windows .contact files to VCF and import them elsewhere, such as to my phone. Disaster!I have been using Windows Contacts for...
  6. How can I see my 'contacts' in my 'contacts' folder?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How can I see my 'contacts' in my 'contacts' folder?: Microsoft takes all my links and wants to store them in the cloud. I want to see my links in my local 'contacts' and 'favourites'. What's up Microsoft? Can't you do that? If you need to have them in the cloud, can you also store them back into my local folders....
  7. How can I see my 'contacts' in my 'contacts' folder?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How can I see my 'contacts' in my 'contacts' folder?: Microsoft takes all my links and wants to store them in the cloud. I want to see my links in my local 'contacts' and 'favourites'. What's up Microsoft? Can't you do that? If you need to have them in the cloud, can you also store them back into my local folders....
  8. How can I see my 'contacts' in my 'contacts' folder?

9. How do I create a new .contact file in my 'Contacts' folder?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I create a new .contact file in my 'Contacts' folder?: I am still learning the idiosyncrasies of Windows 11.I have a 'Contacts' folder full of '.contact' files, but I cannot find how to create a new entry .contact file.I believe that had originally copied and pasted the existing files.How do I create a new .contact file in this...
  10. How do I create a new .contact file in my 'Contacts' folder?

How do I create a new .contact file in my 'Contacts' folder?: I am still learning the idiosyncrasies of Windows 11.I have a 'Contacts' folder full of '.contact' files, but I cannot find how to create a new entry .contact file.I believe that had originally copied and pasted the existing files.How do I create a new .contact file in this...