Windows 10: Contacts were somehow added to windows dictionary

Discus and support Contacts were somehow added to windows dictionary in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I have some interest in managing my user dictionary. It is generally surprising to me that since computers are primarily word processing interfaces,... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by ebichuhamster, Apr 28, 2020.

1. Contacts were somehow added to windows dictionary

I have some interest in managing my user dictionary. It is generally surprising to me that since computers are primarily word processing interfaces, the support for user managed dictionaries is so poor. As a user grows to use technology, a dictionary is a piece of information that he or she should be able to take along with age. There are thousands of terms I have learned and forgotten throughout the years and maybe having a one stop shop to store these, that also happens to work seamlessly throughout the different platforms desktop/mobile, Android/iOS/Windows, browser/native, etc, would be of immense help. Sure, I am glossing over what "seamless" means and the implications of user-privacy are relevant, but I digress; this is not the main issue in this question.

As the subject suggests, while I was exploring my Windows 10 filesystem I discovered %APPDATA%/Microsoft/Spelling. It holds all dictionaries for all languages. When I open the default.dic for en-US, it only has 2 lines: what seems to be a comment and a single word "Telegram". To see how this file works, I try to find a text field anywhere I happen to choose MS Edge, type something wrong to get the squiggly underline and rightclick to see if I get the "Add to Dictionary" option. I do, I click it and recheck default.dic.

On this file the new term that I added was there, but also there were ~300 other terms. As I check through them I realize that they are the names and last names of the people in my contact list. That is, my iPhone contact list. This is puzzling to me. I have a couple of windows applications on my iPhone Outlook, Edge but these have not explicitly asked to access my contacts. I also added iCloud on my Windows 10 machine, but when I look at my iCloud settings, the only thing I have chosen not to synchronize is the option for "Mail, Contacts, Calendars and Tasks".

Can anyone give me some information as to how Windows 10 has access to my contacts' names? It seems intrusive.

I am choosing to post this as a discussion as I would like to get my question answered How did this happen? but I would also like to have people chime in if they have additional concerns.

Edit: Some typos

:)

ebichuhamster, Apr 28, 2020
  2. bestellen Win User

Deleting contacts from Windows 10

When you say Windows Mail Live are you referring to Mail app or Windows Live Mail?

I suggest you to try the steps provided below and check if it helps.

• Open Windows Live Mail.
    • Press Ctrl + 3 using your keyboard. Right-click on the contact to delete it if it is a single contact.
    • Highlight all contacts by pressing Ctrl + A.
    • Click Delete located on the Ribbon bar.
    • Click OK when you see the message These contacts will also be deleted from Hotmail, Messenger, and other Windows Live services.

After following the steps above, all your contacts that you have manually added to your account will be deleted however, contacts coming from third-party sites such as Facebook will not be deleted unless you remove Facebook from your account.

For Mail app:

Open People app then delete the contact.

Hope this helps in resolving the issue. If the issue persists, do get back to us. We will be happy to assist you.

bestellen, Apr 28, 2020
  3. E66 - Possible to edit/delete word in T9 dictionary

Hi

I have a problem with my T9 dictionary.

A wrong word is added to the list and this is the first word to be suggested for a very common input, very annoying as the combination is used a lot.

Is it possible to edit the T9 list in the phone?

Rgds

Jesper

mathe---01, Apr 28, 2020
  4. knickii Win User

Contacts were somehow added to windows dictionary

how to reset suggestion dictionary windows 10 phone or delete a suggestion i added accidentally

Hi,

I'd accidentally added few words to the dictionary, they are all incorrect spelling. How to I delete these words that I added accidentally, or reset the suggestion dictionary all together.

I'm using windows 10 mobile.

knickii, Apr 28, 2020
Thema:

Contacts were somehow added to windows dictionary

1. Contacts were somehow added to windows dictionary - Similar Threads - Contacts were somehow

2. Hi. Is there any way of accessing old msn messenger contacts that were added to msn...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hi. Is there any way of accessing old msn messenger contacts that were added to msn...: Hi. Is there any way of accessing old msn messenger contacts that were added to msn messenger directly? I’m taking 20 or so years ago. Thanks....
  3. Hi. Is there any way of accessing old msn messenger contacts that were added to msn...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Hi. Is there any way of accessing old msn messenger contacts that were added to msn...: Hi. Is there any way of accessing old msn messenger contacts that were added to msn messenger directly? I’m taking 20 or so years ago. Thanks....
  4. Dictionary

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Dictionary: My dictionary is stuck on French and I need it on plain old English. I have tried every help item I could find with no success. How do I get this changed? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/dictionary/6c394098-3df6-485a-9f02-4247e35abec2
  5. Dictionary

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Dictionary: My dictionary is stuck on French and I need it on plain old English. I have tried every help item I could find with no success. How do I get this changed? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/dictionary/6c394098-3df6-485a-9f02-4247e35abec2
  6. Facebook dictionary

in Windows 10 Customization
    Facebook dictionary: Today, while on FB, I accidentally clicked "add to dictionary" on a word that was misspelled. While I realize that this isn't a FB forum, I didn't know who else I could ask. So, does anyone know where the FB dictionary if one even exists is located? Did Windows play a hand in...
  7. Adding email sender to contacts in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Adding email sender to contacts in Windows 10: I have a brand new windows 10 laptop. I'm using the Mail app that came with Windows 10. My email is NOT an outlook account. I can't figure out how to save the sender of an email to my Peoples app without having to manually enter everything. From what I can find from online...
  8. Dictionary +

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Dictionary +: Необходимо в срочном порядке отредактировать словари для различных компьютерных программ и операционных систем компаний Microsoft Windows, Word etc., Adobe, Apple, Android, Google, Yandex, OpenOffice, Ubuntu и т.д. • Имена собственные: топонимы как Москва, Александров,...
  9. Cortana - Dictionaries

in Cortana
    Cortana - Dictionaries: I want to learn how to make Cortana use the Oxford dictionary and determine which dictionary it is already using. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cortana-dictionaries/ffd181e6-c5a8-4f8a-a1ab-406a54bfed39"
  10. Dictionary in Word?

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Dictionary in Word?: Good evening all, I am using the latest edition of Word. I've managed to add the Thesarus icon onto the Quick Access bar but I can't do the same for a dictionary. I want to use the dictionary to learn the meaning of selected words, as opposed to adding words to the grammar...