Windows 10: Context Menu Bug

Discus and support Context Menu Bug in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; This is more of a 411-esque post... not sure if anyone has posted about this here yet. Nevertheless, there is a bug in Windows 10, that causes... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Chris2005, Sep 2, 2015.

1. Chris2005 Win User

Context Menu Bug

This is more of a 411-esque post... not sure if anyone has posted about this here yet.

Nevertheless, there is a bug in Windows 10, that causes Explorer to act up due to "resource exhaustion," at least that's what the current consensus is and it seems to happen as a result of moving large amounts of files from the OS drive to other drives, at least as far as I understand it... I'm not exactly sure what resource exhaustion is...

I've ran into the bug as well moving the large extracted folder for 3D Studio Max 2015 installation from the OS drive to my data HDD...

The bug results in glitching context menus and other UI problems regarding Explorer.exe ... restarting Explorer.exe doesn't seem to fix the problem for long, but a restart seems to rectify this issue for now... someone from Microsoft on the Microsoft support forums said that if someone running the latest beta build of Windows 10 (10532), let Microsoft know and they will explore the issue and try to fix it.

It also affects the UI in File Explorer as well, but most seem to notice via context menus first.

Examples:

Context Menu Bug [​IMG]

Context Menu Bug [​IMG]

:)

Chris2005, Sep 2, 2015

2. Email program whon't link as default email app

Wait, are you saying that mozilla thinderbird can overpass this bug and works with the context menu (send to> email)?

Andrei Craciun, Sep 2, 2015
  3. Pinned & Recent Folder Missing From Explorer in Start

I had tried that, Krishna - and it didn't help.

That said - I've found the cause of the Bug - and it's REALLY bad coding.

The "File Explorer" context menu in Start populates itself with Data using a particular Path. Quite bizarrely - this path leads through the Start Menu.

So to replicate the Bug, all you have to do is make part of that path Hidden in Explorer. Specifically:

> Open %APPDATA%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs

> Right-click "Windows System" and Select Properties.

> Add the "Hidden" attribute. Whether you apply this to Folder Contents or not makes no difference.

Hey Presto! You've broken the File Explorer context menu! And all you had to do was try to customise your Start menu!

The Start menu is a catalogue of Shortcuts and should NOT be used by Windows in its internal calls.

head-on-desk, Sep 2, 2015
Thema:

Context Menu Bug

1. Context Menu Bug - Similar Threads - Context Menu Bug

2. context menu

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    context menu: i just reinstalled windows but when we right click on desktop which shows refresh option it i s always showing to my left . the menu opens to the left of my mouse.should not it be opening to the right of my mouse...
  3. Context menu

Context menu: Hello, I am running a machine with Windows 10 Pro which had version 1703, a few days ago I updated to 20H2. When I had 1703 all ok.... But when I upgraded to 20H2 EACH RIGHT CLICK TAKES ABOUT 5 SECONDS. I think a 4GB ram and i3 processor should not take so long for a right...
  4. context menu

in Windows 10 Customization
    context menu: how to add 'desktop' to 'send to option' WIN 10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/context-menu/671f83fb-b3a9-449a-9564-ea120c0b78b8
  5. Rightclick context menu bug on startup

in Windows 10 Support
    Rightclick context menu bug on startup: Im getting undo copy every bootup. Locating the file it does not exist and its dated more than a month ago. How to remove? [img] [img] 160045
  6. Context Menu

Context Menu: Is there a way to edit context menus in Windows 10 without having to deal with the registry? If yes, how? Thank you in advance. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/context-menu/593aefd6-7ccd-433f-920b-1da873dd4694
  7. Context Menu

Context Menu: I think I installed a demo software or game really long time ago by a private developer on my PC, but I noticed later that had led to the presence of "usmanworldfree.com" on the right click menu. How can i remove it? Help in this regard will be much appreciated....
  8. New Context Menu Bugs With 1903 Update

New Context Menu Bugs With 1903 Update: Windows new version update which was just made available to me this month fixed a few bugs from 1809 (that MS consistently denied their existence regardless of hundreds of community threads regarding them)but created more (no surprise). Now, any pinned shortcut on the task...
  9. context menue

context menue: my context menu does not show the ability to set windows in a pattern ,side by side etc. how can this be add? all tutorial for moving windows into various groupings start with right clicking to get the context menu which has these patterns....
  10. context menu

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    context menu: right click on desktop blank space, a context menu appears as I click on its "new" item no respond and the menu automatically closed. what is the matter? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/context-menu/2843ddc0-0011-4c82-b2ab-ab281dd3271b