Windows 10: Context menu on the desktop

Discus and support Context menu on the desktop in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; How do I recover a lost right-click drop-down context menu on the desktop?... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Katie.Ronsvalle, Sep 12, 2018.

1. Context menu on the desktop

How do I recover a lost right-click drop-down context menu on the desktop?

:)

Katie.Ronsvalle, Sep 12, 2018

2. Custom context menu entries

So, just throwing this out there, in case somone knows.

I have added a custom context menu entry for the program rightload, since by default the menu is broken in vistax64.

It works pefect with single files, but when I select mutiple files and try to open, I get mutiple instances of the program (which makes sense), here is my entry:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Rightload\Rightload.exe --server=1 --autostart %1

So the %1 passes the filename to the program, and when I select multiple files it is just opening multiple instances of rightload each with a different file.

What I'd like to do is be able to pass a list of the files selected to the program. Since I know it is capable of uploading multiple files from the context menu, all in one instance.

So, is there something I can pass besides %1 that will do this? I have looked around and can't seem to find an answer anywhere... *Frown Context menu on the desktop :(

ArmoredCavalry, Sep 12, 2018
  3. windows 10 desktop icon context menus

Hi Ramon,

In reply to your questions:

• Asus, not sure of model - 64 bit desktop system, Asus motherboard, Intel E5300 dual-core @ 2.6 GHz, 8 Gb RAM, 600 Gb disk (<80% full).
    • No error messages at all.
    • None of the desktop shortcuts (icons) launch their apps, including old original shortcuts and newer ones. (In other words, all icons' context menus misbehave the same way.)
    • No changes or custom mods... off-the-shelf prebuilt system, stock Windows install. Strictly used for home office functions - no gaming or external hardware hung off the PC.
    Some additional points:

• Note that the Win-X context menu also mostly not working - none of the utilities launch from the choices on the upper 75% of the menu, only system functions (Run, Shutdown, etc.) at the bottom.
    • Also note that context menus work normally elsewhere in the system: like inside File Explorer, and inside the Start Menu.
    • Not aware of any other issues anywhere in my system. Applications run promptly and at normal speed, no unusual hangs or error pop-ups. (BTW, Windows tablet mode is OFF - I checked.)
    • Windows 10 was an upgrade directly from Windows 7.
    • At that time everything worked, including all the desktop shortcut context menus and Win-X.
    • The context menus on the desktop stopped functioning after the Anniversary update... now shortcuts only launch on double-click from mouse.
    • All additional MS updates and patches since that time have successfully installed.
    Thanks for your help.

WarrenClearfield, Sep 12, 2018
  4. Necrofire Win User

Context menu on the desktop

CCC Context menu

I was recently greeted to a new entry in my desktop context menu after installing 8.12 drivers with the Catalyst Control Center:

Context menu on the desktop ati2.png

I have no idea what the second entry does, since clicking it results in nothing happening.
    So I open up CCC and find this new section:

Context menu on the desktop ati1.png

It's completely disabled. I only have a single HD3850. The IGP on my mobo is nVidia, which is disabled anyway.

I spent the last hour or so finding a way to remove the second entry, and this is the only thing I could find:
    Deleting this key removes both entries from the context menu
    Code: KEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\Background\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\ACE[/quote] This solved one problem and caused another. I do not like the tray icon, so I have it disabled, so the only way I know to get into CCC is via the context menu. Does anyone know of a way to disable just the "Configure Additive Graphics" entry and keep the CCC entry?

If I kept both disabled, is there some sort of shortcut I could make to get there instead? I don't want to have to go to Display->Settings->Advanced->CCC every time.
    EDIT: Just made a hotkey to get there. *Smile Context menu on the desktop :)

Necrofire, Sep 12, 2018
Thema:

Context menu on the desktop

1. Context menu on the desktop - Similar Threads - Context menu desktop

2. Context Menu on Desktop Doesn't Scroll

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Context Menu on Desktop Doesn't Scroll: The only time I seem to have this context menu scrolling issue is on the Windows Desktop and using Widows Explorer. Obviously the context menu has to exceed the height of the screen for this to be a problem, something most advanced users will most likely all suffer from. I...
  3. Context Menu on Desktop Doesn't Scroll

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Context Menu on Desktop Doesn't Scroll: The only time I seem to have this context menu scrolling issue is on the Windows Desktop and using Widows Explorer. Obviously the context menu has to exceed the height of the screen for this to be a problem, something most advanced users will most likely all suffer from. I...
  4. Context Menu on Desktop Doesn't Scroll

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. New context menu at desktop missing options

New context menu at desktop missing options: right click desktop context menu New is missing options. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/new-context-menu-at-desktop-missing-options/962bad6a-a3b9-4c2a-bef3-2517df5b7e8e
  6. Windows Desktop Context Menu Problem

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows Desktop Context Menu Problem: Hello, I recently reset my Laptop, but I notice as soon as I click right click on the Desktop, the blue progressbar appears for more than 5 mins after that the context menu occurs. not only that during that time the icons on the Desktop as well as the Desktop itself freezes....
  7. Cascade Windows Desktop Context Menu

in Windows 10 Support
    Cascade Windows Desktop Context Menu: The "Cascade Windows" item in the taskbar context menu, is there a way to put that in the desktop background context menu? 129006
  8. Add Shut Down to Desktop Context Menu

Add Shut Down to Desktop Context Menu: I finished upgrading my laptop to Window 10 Pro and I got Microsoft Money Sunset and Frontpage 2003 working. So I am happy. *Party An old problem came back, after a shutdown, the system "resumes" instead of starting without the option of allowing me to get into the bios. I...
  9. Black Context Menu for Taskbar and Old Context Menu for Desktop

Black Context Menu for Taskbar and Old Context Menu for Desktop: Hello. Today I got an update, and I noticed afterwards that the Windows 10 context menu when you right click the desktop went back to the old version and not the Windows 10 version. Also, the context menu for right clicking in the taskbar turned black in the background. Not...
  10. No context menu on desktop icons

in Windows 10 Support
    No context menu on desktop icons: I just upgraded my Win 7 Pro desktop to Windows 10 Professional (32-bit). Minor problems, as usual, when a new system is installed, but a specific one is getting me crazy. When I click on any desktop icon, I do NOT get the traditional context menu, but the whole screen turns...