Windows 10: Continuing backup File History after original backup HDD is full.

Discus and support Continuing backup File History after original backup HDD is full. in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have a File History backup on a drive that is nearing full. The full backup would be 520-ish Gb. and so the backup has stalled when there is less... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by GeoffreyHYDE FYNN, May 25, 2020.

1. Continuing backup File History after original backup HDD is full.

I have a File History backup on a drive that is nearing full. The full backup would be 520-ish Gb. and so the backup has stalled when there is less than 520 GB left on the drive even though only a few files will have been amended or added in the meantime.

1 Is the right? i.e. it won't continue the cumulative backup if there is not enough space to do a full backup? Have I missed a setting to enable this?

2 I have tried but can find no means of using a drive of less than 520 Gb to take over the cumulative backing up. I have plenty of HDDs of 500Gb which could be part of a series of HDDs but cannot see how to use them.

3 Do I therefore need to acquire new HDDs of mega-size in order to continue using the File History system?

Thanks.

HyFy

:)

GeoffreyHYDE FYNN, May 25, 2020
  2. Rhen Pal Win User

Windows 10-Reconnect your drive...No longer able to use original USB HDD for File History backups

Perform these steps to enable backup:

• Connect an external hard drive to your computer.
    • Next, open the Settings app from your Start Menu.
    • Navigate to Update & Security > Backup.
    • Click or tap the “Add a drive” option under Back up using File History to add an external drive that File History will back up to.
    It’ll list external drives and give you the option to back up to them.

Regards.

Rhen Pal, May 25, 2020
  3. Lampje200 Win User
    Backup Using File History

I wanted to clean up my backup hdd and I deleted the folder File History. Now, if I say Backup Now in Backup Using File History, it says last backup …, it goes for 1 second and returns to cancel. How can I get Backup Using File History to work again without
    reinstalling Windows 10? Any help appreciated.

Lampje200, May 25, 2020
  4. Continuing backup File History after original backup HDD is full.

File History backups

Hi William,

To help you with your File History backups issue, we suggest running the
    System File Checker
    with the steps found on this
    thread

Update us on the results.

Regards.

Angela Pun, May 25, 2020
Thema:

Continuing backup File History after original backup HDD is full.

1. Continuing backup File History after original backup HDD is full. - Similar Threads - Continuing backup File

2. How to continue Windows backup after one backup drive is full?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to continue Windows backup after one backup drive is full?: I have a Windows 10 machine with a large nearly 4TB drive; and I have a nearly 4 TB external back up drive. Using Microsoft's inbuilt backup program, I backed up all of the data on my PC; photos, videos, documents, music. Now both the Windows 10 machine and the back up are...
  3. How to continue Windows backup after one backup drive is full?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to continue Windows backup after one backup drive is full?: I have a Windows 10 machine with a large nearly 4TB drive; and I have a nearly 4 TB external back up drive. Using Microsoft's inbuilt backup program, I backed up all of the data on my PC; photos, videos, documents, music. Now both the Windows 10 machine and the back up are...
  4. How to continue Windows backup after one backup drive is full?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. File History backup?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File History backup?: If I move a file from folder A already backedup in file history to a USB PenDrive to folder B, will it show up in folder B in FileHistory in the next backup? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-history-backup/2135cd57-4a9e-4e43-9fd9-d1bbff65e057
  6. File History backup?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File History backup?: If I move a file from folder A already backedup in file history to a USB PenDrive to folder B, will it show up in folder B in FileHistory in the next backup? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-history-backup/2135cd57-4a9e-4e43-9fd9-d1bbff65e057
  7. File history backup

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    File history backup: I am planning to upgrade my notebook. Ques is, I have my data saved as file history in an external drive. Will I be able to restore data into new notebook from this file history?...
  8. File History for Backup

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File History for Backup: Are there any complete instructions how File History works and how one is to retrieve documents when needed. Also how to eliminate files when File History back up drive is full. Thanks.... RDH...
  9. File History states that backup drive is Full

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File History states that backup drive is Full: I have been using File History for some time now. It is set to keep files, until space is required. In the past, it has deleted old file versions and backed up the new one. After the latest update to Windows, it now only produces an error that the destination drive is...
  10. Backup file history

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Backup file history: How do I set up File History to back up to an external hard drive in Windows 10? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-security/backup-file-history/2809c456-e34a-47f9-93ab-ea6c9188fd03"