Windows 10: Continuing to protect Chrome users from malicious extensions

Discus and support Continuing to protect Chrome users from malicious extensions in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; We’re always working to improve Chrome extensions while keeping our users as safe as possible. In May 2014 we announced a new policy to protect Windows... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by Brink, May 12, 2015.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Continuing to protect Chrome users from malicious extensions

Source: Chromium Blog: Continuing to protect Chrome users from malicious extensions

Brink, May 12, 2015
  2. LEE
    Lee Win User

Thanks for the info. . .*Smile

:)

3. JS/Paco.A Proxy Trojan

Hello everyone!

I've been experiencing a weird type of malware, windows defender is catching this thing several times a day but I cannot find any info on it and where it's coming from.

JS/Paco.A on Windows "Encyclopedia"

That's all the information available via the Microsoft "malware encyclopedia" which labels it as a severe threat. I want to figure out how to get rid of this thing if I can, it's driving me nuts.

Defender always says it finds it in a location like -

"file:C:\Users\Korbin\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\INetCache\IE\0EU83XU0\localhost[1].local"

I've also got Malwarebytes picking up something that seems related -

Processes: 0

(No malicious items detected)

Modules: 0

Registry Keys: 0

Registry Values: 2

Hijack.AutoConfigURL.PrxySvrRST, HKU\S-1-5-21-3009677750-2374012560-642225824-1001\SOFTWARE\MICROSOFT\WINDOWS\CURRENTVERSION\INTERNET SETTINGS|AutoConfigURL, http://localhost.world/localhost.local, , [111fa081ecaef6401762ec024fb46d93]

Hijack.AutoConfigURL.PrxySvrRST, HKU\S-1-5-21-3009677750-2374012560-642225824-1001\SOFTWARE\WOW6432NODE\MICROSOFT\WINDOWS\CURRENTVERSION\INTERNET SETTINGS|AutoConfigURL, http://localhost.world/localhost.local, , [7ab6f8298416b581a5d434ba659e639d]

Registry Data: 0

Folders: 3

PUP.Optional.CrossRider, C:\Users\Korbin\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Extensions\lkadffjmnaiokkdncgdlecdegajoiemi, , [141cef328614270fea2b2e959d65df21],

PUP.Optional.CrossRider, C:\Users\Korbin\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Extensions\lkadffjmnaiokkdncgdlecdegajoiemi\0.1_0, , [141cef328614270fea2b2e959d65df21],

PUP.Optional.CrossRider, C:\Users\Korbin\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Extensions\lkadffjmnaiokkdncgdlecdegajoiemi\0.1_0\_metadata, , [141cef328614270fea2b2e959d65df21],

Files: 2

PUP.Optional.CrossRider, C:\Users\Korbin\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Extensions\lkadffjmnaiokkdncgdlecdegajoiemi\0.1_0\_metadata\computed_hashes.json, , [141cef328614270fea2b2e959d65df21],

PUP.Optional.CrossRider, C:\Users\Korbin\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Extensions\lkadffjmnaiokkdncgdlecdegajoiemi\0.1_0\_metadata\verified_contents.json, , [141cef328614270fea2b2e959d65df21],

Physical Sectors: 0

Does anybody have any ideas? Greatly appreciate any help!

KorbinPerry, May 12, 2015
  4. BulldogXX Win User

Microsoft Edge

For now, Microsoft Edge doesn't support browser extensions. Most security software tries to install web browser extensions to rate search results, protect you from accessing malicious web sites, provide extra security for online banking and shopping, and
    other security features. If these features are important to you, don't use Microsoft Edge.

Edge won't get support for browser extensions until Q1 of 2016 at the earliest. You can use it without security software extensions, but many people rely on those extensions to keep them safe as they search the web. If you want that extra security, use Google
    Chrome or Mozilla Firefox instead of Edge.

BulldogXX, May 12, 2015
Thema:

1. Continuing to protect Chrome users from malicious extensions - Similar Threads - Continuing protect Chrome

2. Microsoft Defender Browser Protection extensions for chrome question

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Microsoft Defender Browser Protection extensions for chrome question: is Microsoft Defender Browser Protection extensiosn still supports for Google Chrome? Because Microsoft Defender Browser Protection extensiosn was updated last year...
  3. Microsoft Defender Browser Protection extensions for chrome question

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microsoft Defender Browser Protection extensions for chrome question: is Microsoft Defender Browser Protection extensiosn still supports for Google Chrome? Because Microsoft Defender Browser Protection extensiosn was updated last year...
  4. Microsoft Defender Browser Protection extensions for chrome question

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Three million users installed 28 malicious Chrome or Edge extensions

in Windows 10 News
    Three million users installed 28 malicious Chrome or Edge extensions: [ATTACH] Extensions could redirect users to ads, phishing sites, collect user data, or download malware on infected systems. More than three million internet users are believed to have installed 15 Chrome, and 13 Edge extensions that contain malicious code, security firm...
  6. Google Protecting users from insecure downloads in Google Chrome

in Windows 10 News
    Google Protecting users from insecure downloads in Google Chrome: Today we’re announcing that Chrome will gradually ensure that secure (HTTPS) pages only download secure files. In a series of steps outlined below, we’ll start blocking "mixed content downloads" (non-HTTPS downloads started on secure pages). This move follows a plan we...
  7. chrome extensions

in Browsers and Email
    chrome extensions: Anybody know why Google has pulled the Ghostery extension from it's web store? Even the actual website, when trying to install it you get error 404. Same thing from when trying to get it from MajorGeeks site. 141805
  8. Stop user from uninstalling chrome extensions

in Browsers and Email
    Stop user from uninstalling chrome extensions: As the title suggest i want to know how do i stop someone from uninstalling chrome extensions on a personal computer. Long story If someone wants to use my pc to browse internet, he also gains access to websites where i am already logged in like gmail facebook etc. At first...
  9. How to Protect Your Network from the Dangers of Chrome Extensions

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    How to Protect Your Network from the Dangers of Chrome Extensions: Without a doubt, Google Chrome is the most popular internet browser on the market. It is regarded as the most secure browser as well, owing partly to the effectiveness of its sandbox (which prevents unverified content from being downloaded into end users’ devices) and the...
  10. Google Chrome Improving extension transparency for users

in Windows 10 News
    Google Chrome Improving extension transparency for users: We strive to ensure choice and transparency for all Chrome users as they browse the web. Part of this choice is the ability to use the hundreds of thousands of extensions available in the Chrome Web Store to customize the browsing experience in useful and...