Windows 10: Contradictory sizes for Windows image?

Discus and support Contradictory sizes for Windows image? in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; I'm trying to understand contradictory numbers about the size of the image which I've just made with the Win 7 tool. Win 10 File Explorer... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by Terrypin, Aug 31, 2017.

1. Terrypin Win User

Contradictory sizes for Windows image?

I'm trying to understand contradictory numbers about the size of the image which I've just made with the Win 7 tool.

Win 10 File Explorer nonsensically reports most of the folders associated with the data backup and image as having zero size. So I used TreeSize instead. This says that the image uses 156.2 GB and the data backup 89.3.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ep4jhxprw4...ze-1.jpg?raw=1

But this is contradicted here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/k7g2plni9w...ze-2.jpg?raw=1

Terry, East Grinstead, UK

:)

Terrypin, Aug 31, 2017

2. Ovi maps not available for 5800XM via Ovi Store

@swayzak

The crazy thing is that information is contradictory in that it is showing correct file size of 10.03MB for OVI Maps application for 5800XM and if you amend the .url of which not too happy discussing on forum it will deliver the version that is needed for
    this device!

aspergerguy, Aug 31, 2017
  3. Why I have folder called Documents under my user in the Explorer? One is from OneDrive and it's confusing!!!

so whats contradictory in my question?

AlonsoGutierrez Chavez, Aug 31, 2017
  4. Contradictory sizes for Windows image?

I suspect that's because Windows Backup has it's own idea of what a "system" file is.

All the more reason to avoid it.

Why mess with something you don't understand that is also cranky and inflexible?

It works well enough if you understand it and can live with it's limitations and idiosyncrasies.

But why bother when there are readily available straightforward substitutes?

ignatzatsonic, Sep 1, 2017
  5. Bree New Member
    It's permissions, your system images are being protected.

Although an administrator account has permission to look inside the WindowsImageBackup folder and see that it contains a folder with your PC's name, you don't have the required permissions to look any deeper - hence File Explorer cannot see the size of the files it contains. A standard user can't even look inside WindowsImageBackup.

If you try to look inside your PC's folder you will get a prompt saying...
    Click Continue and you will find the folders Backup, Catalog, Logs, and SPPMetadataCache. You don't (yet) have permission to access those either. If you click 'Continue' for each folder and get permanent access, then File Explorer will be able to report sensible sizes.

Of course, you now have to be careful not to damage anything in there, the system image backup is known to be 'fragile' and apparently innocuous changes can break its ability to restore an image.

Bree, Sep 1, 2017
  6. Terrypin Win User
    Thanks Bree, understood.

Terrypin, Sep 1, 2017
  7. Terrypin Win User
    You're right, but curiosity can be a powerful motivator!

Yep, as mentioned up-thread I'm sold on investing the effort in learning how to use Macrium Free. Doesn't stop me wishing for a neatly integrated no-brainer though.

Terrypin, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Contradictory sizes for Windows image?

1. Contradictory sizes for Windows image? - Similar Threads - Contradictory sizes image

2. upgrading to Windows 11 requirements Contradictory information...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    upgrading to Windows 11 requirements Contradictory information...: Hello friends!I am slowly going crazy try to upgrade my pc from Windows 10 to Windows 11. I need help.I used PC Health check to see if my PC meets the requirements for Windows 11. Initially it wasn't. I had to enable Secure Boot and TPM enabled. It took me a while and a lot...
  3. upgrading to Windows 11 requirements Contradictory information...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    upgrading to Windows 11 requirements Contradictory information...: Hello friends!I am slowly going crazy try to upgrade my pc from Windows 10 to Windows 11. I need help.I used PC Health check to see if my PC meets the requirements for Windows 11. Initially it wasn't. I had to enable Secure Boot and TPM enabled. It took me a while and a lot...
  4. Contradictory Behavior

in Windows 10 Support
    Contradictory Behavior: Hello, My W10 instance is giving me some issues when it comes to screen dimming and turning on the screen saver. Oddly enough, these are contradictory behavior in how they're acting.... Regarding the screen dimming, it seems that after about 5 minutes of inactivity, the...
  5. Contradictory information in Windows Update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Contradictory information in Windows Update: Confusing text is displayed by the Windows Update tool. In the section with the "Check for updates" button, it claims "You're up to date", after I click the button. Directly, below this I find the text "You're version of Windows 10 will stop receiving important quality...
  6. Size of a Windows 10 system image?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Size of a Windows 10 system image?: Does anybody know approximately size of a Windows 10 system backup image? The reason for my question is that I am trying to decide between a one terabyte and a two terabyte backup drive. I want to make sure that I have room for my regular backups and the system image backup...
  7. Contradictory Messages in Trying to Resolve Bad Image Error 0xc000012f

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Contradictory Messages in Trying to Resolve Bad Image Error 0xc000012f: So I have been trying to resolve a bad image error that appeared on my computer ever since yesterday which happened as a result of my PC crashing and shutting down during an installation of a game. Ever since the crash a message would appear when I tried to open any download...
  8. icon image size

in Windows 10 Customization
    icon image size: How do I increase the size of an image and print size inside an icon? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/icon-image-size/28dabf3d-b1a2-4950-897b-70ee904734db
  9. Desktop image size.

in Windows 10 Support
    Desktop image size.: I have selected and put on my desktop an image from my pictures folder. The image is too large, what I mean is it show the whole image, it is like looking at a magnified or close-up view. I would like to reduce the size, so that I can see the whole image, however when I go to...
  10. Contradictory item in Event Viewer

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Contradictory item in Event Viewer: Event Viewer shows that computer has resumed from sleep but PC is, in fact, in sleep mode despite this second message Here is what I am seeing 5 seconds apart (attached) [img] 111697