Windows 10: Control panel folder with subfolder list, in start menu - old style

Discus and support Control panel folder with subfolder list, in start menu - old style in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Is it possible to add this kind of Control Panel shortcut (like in screenshot below), with subfolder/subitem list, to windows 10, without installing... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by procc, Dec 7, 2015.

1. procc Win User

Control panel folder with subfolder list, in start menu - old style

Is it possible to add this kind of Control Panel shortcut (like in screenshot below), with subfolder/subitem list, to windows 10, without installing Classic Shell or similar programs?

Control panel folder with subfolder list, in start menu - old style [​IMG]

:)

procc, Dec 7, 2015
  2. MesonW Win User

Windows 10 desktop slideshow not seeing sub folders!

The following has worked for me: -

I right-clicked my screenshot folder and selected...

Include in library >

Create new library

...this created a library with the name of my screenshot folder, and upon reloading the old Control Panel (as referenced by others), that library was selectable. At first this only shows the top level pictures.

I then went to each sub-folder, right-clicked and selected...

Include in library >

<name of library I created above>

Now re-opening the old-style background slideshow control panel, selecting the library results in the main folder AND the sub-folders appearing in the list. Note, each is by default showing the content, so you need to scroll down to see the other folders'
    contents listed, or click the collapse arrow top left.

This is not quite as ideal as subfolders automatically appearing for any selected folder, but the frequency I add sub-folders is so minimal this is a satisfactory workaround for me.

MesonW, Dec 7, 2015
  3. Shawn 'Cmdr' Keene [MVP], Dec 7, 2015
  4. BunnyJ New Member

I'll venture a guess but from my understanding you can't. The only way is to install Classic Shell or a similar tool.

BunnyJ, Dec 7, 2015
  5. lx07 Win User
    You can create a folder called "Control Panel" and put it in

%appdata%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs (for one user) or
    %ProgramData%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs (for all users).

Then go to control panel, right click on the things you want and select create shortcut. It will prompt you to create the shortcut on the desktop. Once you have created the shortcuts copy them into the folder you made.

That will show it under all apps.

lx07, Dec 7, 2015
  6. PJD
    pjd Win User
    Search (Win/S) for 'control panel', should see Control Panel Desktop, right click it and pin to Start, or Taskbar - I somehow got it on my Desktop, but I forget how I see this

7. Cliff S New Member
    Use the "Desktop Toolbar" option on the taskbar:

Cliff S, Dec 7, 2015
  8. Edwin New Member

Or...
    Have Control Panel reside in the 'Most used' list and populate the 'jump list' with the items you want.

Edwin, Dec 7, 2015
  9. procc Win User
    I guess for now this will be good enough *Smile

procc, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Control panel folder with subfolder list, in start menu - old style - Similar Threads - Control panel folder

2. Start Menu Subfolder Organization

in Windows 10 Customization
    Start Menu Subfolder Organization: So this organization feature from Windows 7 doesn't make sense to have removed in Windows 10: Subfolders in the All Apps list. Now, I cannot speak for Windows 11, but the fact that even after people have brought this up before see this thread back in 2015, and still even...
  3. at start I get old Control Panel panel

at start I get old Control Panel panel: Somehow, recently I'm getting the old Windows Control Panel window when I click on Settings, not the regular Windows 10 window. I didn't knowingly make a switch, but how do I get the standard Settings back?...
  4. at start I get old Control Panel panel

in Windows 10 Gaming
    at start I get old Control Panel panel: Somehow, recently I'm getting the old Windows Control Panel window when I click on Settings, not the regular Windows 10 window. I didn't knowingly make a switch, but how do I get the standard Settings back?...
  5. at start I get old Control Panel panel

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. Old style start menu

Old style start menu: Is it possible to switch the current start menu back to the old style start menu ? If so, how can it be done ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/old-style-start-menu/80ed68cc-87ea-4c18-bb6f-5bdb226476ba
  7. Control Panel is not in Windows 10 Start Menu

Control Panel is not in Windows 10 Start Menu: In Windows 10, I press Start button on keyboard. Then, I type "Control Panel" . Control Panel does not appear as a selection. Instead, after typing "Control", Settings pops up as an option. After typing the entire "Control Panel", Intel Graphics Control Panel appears....
  8. trying to get the "old style" Windows 10 start menu

trying to get the "old style" Windows 10 start menu: Forum newbie with a quick question here, had to reinstall a new PC with latest Windows 10 build, and I'm trying to get the "old style" Windows 10 start menu working. I unpin all the tiles and shrink the menu horizontally. I had thought that the ease of doing this was a plus...
  9. Control Panel List

in Windows 10 Support
    Control Panel List: Why doesn't control panel display the long list of items alphabetically? Its tiresome always searching thru it to find an item. Did I not see somewhere a picture showing it in alphabetical order, and if so, how do you do it? 74553
  10. Want old style START MENU without tiles

in Windows 10 Support
    Want old style START MENU without tiles: Hi Everyone, I did the online upgrade to windows 10 from windows 7 some time back. My windows 10 start menu was still in the old style without tiles, wish I was happy about. Last week, my laptop did a lengthy windows update, and now I have tiles on my start menu. I...