Windows 10: control panel options greyed out

Discus and support control panel options greyed out in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; when trying to use control panel most options are greyed out or do not respond 23266 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by teecee1953, Sep 19, 2015.

1. control panel options greyed out

when trying to use control panel most options are greyed out or do not respond

:)

teecee1953, Sep 19, 2015
  2. msaba497 Win User

Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Display

When I got to:

Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Display

I see the "Change only the text size", but the options below the title are greyed out.

msaba497, Sep 19, 2015
  3. maddy345 Win User
    Upgraded from Windows 7 Pro to Windows 10 Pro. Cortono sign into microsoft account greyed out

I upgraded to Windows 10 Pro on a stand alone Dell laptop. I tried to sign into my Microsoft account with Cortona but the option is greyed out.

I then tried to go to the "sign on with a Microsoft account" in the control panel and that option is greyed out also.

Whats the deal?

maddy345, Sep 19, 2015
  4. jds63 Win User

control panel options greyed out

Give more information on make and model of PC. When this started, right after an upgrade to Windows 10 ? Can you screen capture the image of Control panel and post it ?

jds63, Sep 19, 2015
  5. most of control panel just does not respond

teecee1953, Sep 19, 2015
  6. jds63 Win User
    this is not the control panel though.Has to believe due to Firewall. Not really giving make and model, OS info and CPU and RAM.

jds63, Sep 19, 2015
  7. sys info op sys were attached with other screen shots

AMD 4 gb ram win 10 the firewall was accessed thru control panel and shows greyed out buttons but mostly none of buttons even if not greyed out do not respond, just upgraded a week ago from win 7 to win 10, I have scanned with numerous malware and anti virus software, and also cant boot in safe mode

teecee1953, Sep 19, 2015
  8. jds63 Win User

When you first mentioned Control panel items are greyed out, i thought you meant the actual control panel, but you are showing Windows Firewall options. Why is Smart Screen Off ? Not a good idea. As i am not using Windows Firewall, it is hard for me to take a look ,but a bit confused on what exactly trying to do.

jds63, Sep 19, 2015
  9. as an example the panel shows smart screen off so I go into control panel and it cant be turned on, I want to allow a programme/app to be allowed thru firewall via control panel but when click on change settings nothing happens

teecee1953, Sep 19, 2015
  10. XweAponX Win User
    Well, for one thing, that does not look like the right control panel for advanced firewall options. That can be accessed by right clicking on the networking icon in your tray, which brings up the Network and Sharing center. From there, you can open Windows Firewall and from inside that, you can access the Advanced Firewall Settings, which can then be used to change firewall rules:

control panel options greyed out [​IMG]

That's what it should look like, I have no idea where you are at in your image. I'm using Pro, but it should look identical in Home versions.

XweAponX, Sep 19, 2015
  11. I go into control panel / system & security /windows firewall

advanced settings on left panel

clickon it but nothing happens like nearly 90% of all functions in control panel

troubleshoot show s working ok but all other s nothing seems to work

i am using win 10 home as administrator

teecee1953, Sep 19, 2015
  12. bro67 Win User
    You can go into the Firewall settings without all of those steps. If you are disabling certain items. Yes your Firewall settings are going to become restricted. Especially if you are using a third party utility. The only time that I use the Firewall, is when I am on Public Hotspots.

bro67, Sep 19, 2015
  13. XweAponX Win User

Ah - You must have Norton AV or McAfee installed, those both remove access to the firewall. To find out which AV is taking over, open "Turn Windows Firewall on or off" and it will tell you in big red letters which app has usurped control from you. Then delete the blazes out o f that app, and use Eset NOD32 Antivirus (Not Smart Security) instead, which does not do that.

OR, you can open whatever AV is doing it, and change the firewall settings from there, except that all of those apps that install 3rd party FWs are very not user friendly. Only the Windows Firewall is.

XweAponX, Sep 21, 2015
  14. thank you for your help

teecee1953, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. control panel options greyed out - Similar Threads - control panel options

2. speech option greyed out.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    speech option greyed out.: Hi everyone, need some help in relation to this issue, been having this for more than 2 weeks and is still unresolved. On settings I'm getting this error....
  3. speech option greyed out.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    speech option greyed out.: Hi everyone, need some help in relation to this issue, been having this for more than 2 weeks and is still unresolved. On settings I'm getting this error....
  4. Control panel,...devices, shows multiple greyed out icons for my Zoneripper. they are...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Control panel,...devices, shows multiple greyed out icons for my Zoneripper. they are...: Control panel,...devices, shows multiple greyed out icons for my Zoneripper. they are indicated as not connected. Can I remove them, without affecting the one that is connected which I want ? How the multiple icons got there in the first place, I dont know ! I just need to be...
  5. Control panel,...devices, shows multiple greyed out icons for my Zoneripper. they are...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Control panel,...devices, shows multiple greyed out icons for my Zoneripper. they are...: Control panel,...devices, shows multiple greyed out icons for my Zoneripper. they are indicated as not connected. Can I remove them, without affecting the one that is connected which I want ? How the multiple icons got there in the first place, I dont know ! I just need to be...
  6. Control panel,...devices, shows multiple greyed out icons for my Zoneripper. they are...

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  7. index option greyed out

in Cortana
    index option greyed out: index option greyed out https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/index-option-greyed-out/c5624f66-4b32-48b5-b9d5-680c2c4165ce
  8. No 'Microphone' option in Control Panel.

in Windows 10 Customization
    No 'Microphone' option in Control Panel.: I'm not sure why, because as far as I'm aware, the Microphone setting should always be on the control panel however when I went to check mine Because I bought a new headset and need to connect my microphone to it it wasn't there. I figured it would just be disabled and all I...
  9. Taskbar option greyed out

in Windows 10 Support
    Taskbar option greyed out: I tried to find the English correspondent to that option and I guess that, due to its position, it's about the taskbar buttons badges. My system: [img] English version: [img] Any idea why it is greyed out? My system is Windows 10 Pro 1809 (17763.292). Thanks in...
  10. Controlled folder access is greyed out

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Controlled folder access is greyed out: In the new Fall update there is a controlled folder access option. Which I would much like to use. I think it is meant to be on by default, for at least basic protection.. Mine is both off and greyed out so that I can not turn it on. I've read a couple of random internet...