Windows 10: Controlled Folder Access and msiexec.exe

Discus and support Controlled Folder Access and msiexec.exe in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I know what controlled folder access CFA is. My questions are: 1. Is it safe, is it ok to provide controlled folder access to msiexec.exe? I am not... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Hey there MSSW, Jan 23, 2021.

1. Controlled Folder Access and msiexec.exe

I know what controlled folder access CFA is. My questions are:

1. Is it safe, is it ok to provide controlled folder access to msiexec.exe? I am not referring to any particular application, just msiexec.exe.

2. Or I should not provide controlled folder access to it and make a judgement call from one application to another? But then once I provide controlled folder access to one, would it not provide controlled folder access each and everytime msiexec.exe is encountered? If yes, how do I make it case to case?

3. Does installing Windows updates always need controlled folder access to msiexec.exe?

Thank you in advance.

:)

Hey there MSSW, Jan 23, 2021
  2. Matt316 Win User

Controlled Folder Access

Hi.

I've been using Controlled Folder Access recently but I'm having a problem getting one application to change/create files. I use doPDF8 to create PDF files, but when CFA is active, it won't save my work. The notice explaining that something has tried accessing the folder only comes up once. (I assume that if you don't do anything about it, the program trying to access the file is put on the 'black list'.) Turning CFA off and then on again causes the notice to appear once more. However, the notice seems to suggest that it is C:\Windows\splwow64.exe that is trying to access/create the file, but when I put this into the 'allow app control' list, it still doesn't work. The only way I can find to get the PDF file created is to turn off CFA, create the file and then turn it back on again.

Any ideas?

Matt

(Windows 10 ver 1709)

Matt316, Jan 23, 2021
  3. Jsssssssss, Jan 23, 2021
  4. Bree Win User

Controlled Folder Access and msiexec.exe

Controlled Folder Access

1709 is very old. The functioning of Controlled Folder Access has changed little since then but the UI has improve enormously. In 1903 it now tells you exactly what was blocked and allows you to add it to the list of allowed apps with a single click. With 1709 you have to dig deep into the Event log to find out the path and name of the executable you'll need to allow through CFA.

Open Event Viewer, go to Application & Service Logs > Microsoft > Windows > Windows Defender > Operational. Look for Event ID 1123 which will give the full name and path of the executable that was blocked. IDs 1125 and 1127 may also be relevant.

Note that a restart is required before any apps you have added will be allowed through CFA.

Thema:

Controlled Folder Access and msiexec.exe

1. Controlled Folder Access and msiexec.exe - Similar Threads - Controlled Folder Access

2. controlled folder access

in Windows 10 Gaming
    controlled folder access: When trying to open Controlled Folder Access, a window opened that said the IT administrator had restricted access to this page. The computer is my personal PC and I have no IT Administrator. How do I retrieve access to this page?...
  3. controlled folder access

in Windows 10 Customization
    controlled folder access: When trying to open Controlled Folder Access, a window opened that said the IT administrator had restricted access to this page. The computer is my personal PC and I have no IT Administrator. How do I retrieve access to this page?...
  4. controlled folder access

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    controlled folder access: My real-time protection, cloud-delivered protection, automatic sample submission, tamper protections all are off. I try to on it. but it doesn't work. It says to on the controlled folder access. but when I try to on that option. it doesn't work. It says, "protects files,...
  5. Controlled Folder Access w/ GPO: Multiple exes?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Controlled Folder Access w/ GPO: Multiple exes?: I'm looking to configuring Controlled Folder Access for our organization, however we have programs that have multiple exes to them (like most programs) - like, in "C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Adobe Reader DC", for example, has their main Reader.exe, but there's also other...
  6. CONTROLLED FOLDER ACCESS

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    CONTROLLED FOLDER ACCESS: MY CONTOLLED FOLDER ACCESS WILL NOT TURN ON https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/controlled-folder-access/7c2fdde9-b968-47ee-88b5-b8411d7e02b9
  7. Multiple .exe files trying to access my controlled folder

Multiple .exe files trying to access my controlled folder: I have no idea why this is happening, every time I boot or use my computer it shows that a .exe file is trying to go into my controlled folder and it was stopped. These are files such as explorer.exe, spotify.exe and adobe files. This is weird because there should be no...
  8. msiexec access denied

in Windows 10 Support
    msiexec access denied: Hello, Having got my new OC (10 Enterprise). I've done all the updating it required so it's fully up to date. I started to install all my programs. A few days later the install programs stopped working, both msi and exe. From what I can tell it's "msiexec.exe" which has...
  9. Controlled Folder Access

Controlled Folder Access: Trying to use Controlled Folder access on a couple of machines. I am running into an issue where after about a day defender notifications no longer appear in the action center nor are they logged by defender in event viewer. If i look in event viewer at the defender...
  10. Controlled folder access

Controlled folder access: For the last week the controlled folder access is blocking my Quicken program from updating or downloading anything. When I click on the notice it takes me to the allow app but when I open that to choose to allow app nothing is there! I really need to use my Quicken. How do...