Windows 10: Controlled Folder Access in Windows 10 is blocking iCloud Photos causing excessive download...

Discus and support Controlled Folder Access in Windows 10 is blocking iCloud Photos causing excessive download... in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I enabled Controlled Folder Access (Defender ransomware protection) in Windows 10 1 day ago. I saw some notification warnings saying various programs... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Dazzabozza, Aug 15, 2018.

1. Controlled Folder Access in Windows 10 is blocking iCloud Photos causing excessive download...

I enabled Controlled Folder Access (Defender ransomware protection) in Windows 10 1 day ago.

I saw some notification warnings saying various programs were blocked, iCloudPhotos being one them.

iCloud tray icon also reported problems writing to its default location and that it was stuck trying to sync 4 photos (which i had taken on my phone recently).

My UniFi router/controller reported a massive spike in download activity from iCloud. I thought maybe one of my Apple devices was resyncing or was stuck in a loop. Was unlikely to be iCloud Backup as this should affect uploads rather than downloads.

Closer inspection confirmed it was my Windows PC which pulled down ~20GB of iCloud traffic in the last 24 hours which is completely abnormal.

Turned off Controlled Folder Access, the 4 photos then came through and the iCloud traffic has gone back to normal levels.

Didn’t bother trying to add allowed/approved program exceptions at this stage. Defender wants you to browse to locate the EXEs manually which is a bit fiddly and poorly implemented IMO. The notification should allow you to easliy add an exception but it doesn’t. Not user friendly at all and not something a typical end user could figure out.

Controlled Folder Access in Windows 10 is blocking iCloud Photos causing excessive download... [​IMG]

Controlled Folder Access in Windows 10 is blocking iCloud Photos causing excessive download... e5b12834-4c1f-4d0f-bb2a-4978f60d32de?upload=true.jpg

Controlled Folder Access in Windows 10 is blocking iCloud Photos causing excessive download... efb26408-e3cf-4a00-aa35-450bc7ac23ee?upload=true.jpg

:)

Dazzabozza, Aug 15, 2018

2. Controlled Folder Access in Windows 10 is blocking iCloud Photos causing excessive download traffic

I enabled Controlled Folder Access (Defender ransomware protection) in Windows 10 1 day ago.

I saw some notification warnings saying various programs were blocked, iCloudPhotos being one them.

iCloud tray icon also reported problems writing to its default location and that it was stuck trying to sync 4 photos (which i had taken on my phone recently).

My UniFi router/controller reported a massive spike in download activity from iCloud. I thought maybe one of my Apple devices was resyncing or was stuck in a loop. Was unlikely to be iCloud Backup as this should affect uploads rather than downloads.

Closer inspection confirmed it was my Windows PC which pulled down ~20GB of iCloud traffic in the last 24 hours which is completely abnormal.

Turned off Controlled Folder Access, the 4 photos then came through and the iCloud traffic has gone back to normal levels.

Didn’t bother trying to add allowed/approved program exceptions at this stage. Defender wants you to browse to locate the EXEs manually which is a bit fiddly and poorly implemented IMO. The notification should allow you to easliy add an exception but it
    doesn’t. Not user friendly at all and not something a typical end user could figure out.

Controlled Folder Access in Windows 10 is blocking iCloud Photos causing excessive download... 9127da62-ddd2-4de4-b509-8c94698f6ca4?upload=true.jpg

Controlled Folder Access in Windows 10 is blocking iCloud Photos causing excessive download... e5b12834-4c1f-4d0f-bb2a-4978f60d32de?upload=true.jpg

Controlled Folder Access in Windows 10 is blocking iCloud Photos causing excessive download... efb26408-e3cf-4a00-aa35-450bc7ac23ee?upload=true.jpg

Dazzabozza, Sep 25, 2018
  3. rcamazed Win User
    Controlled Folder Access in Windows 10 and iCloud My Photo Stream

I've enabled Controlled Folder Access in Windows 10, but it is blocking iCloud. I am getting a notification from iCloud Services in the notification bar on the right side of the screen that says "My Photo Stream can't update because you do not have permission
    to add files to the download folder. Open iCloud to pick a new folder."

I am also getting a notification from "Virus & Threat Protection" (of Windows Defender) that says "Controlled folder access blocked c:/...ApplePhotoStream.... from making changes to the folder %userprofile%...\Downloads"

This began when I enabled Controlled Folder Access, which is obviously doing its job to help prevent ransomware, but also prevents Apple-ware. I would like to "Add an allowed app" through controlled folder access, but to do that I need to know the path to
    the program file iCloud uses... The notification area does not give the full path- but only part of it, and all my searches do not find "ApplePhotoStream" anywhere in my Program Files. I can't find the icloud program to allow through controlled folder access.
    What is the standard path to the iCloudServices executable file (or program) so that I can allow it as an exception?

Thanks,

Ryan

rcamazed, Sep 25, 2018
  4. Eric Ber Win User

Controlled Folder Access in Windows 10 is blocking iCloud Photos causing excessive download...

Controlled Folder Access blocked

Hi Aeolus0,

The Controlled Folder Access is an enterprise-class ransomware protection component that was recently added to Windows Defender. When you turn on Controlled folder access, a lot of the folders you use most often will be protected by default. This means that
    content in any of these folders cannot be accessed or changed by any unknown or untrusted apps. Once you add additional folders, they become automatically protected as well. To add protected folders:

• Select Virus & threat protection settings.
    • Under Controlled folder access, select Protected folders.
    • Select Add a protected folder and follow the prompts to add folders.

If you see an App is blocked message when you try to use a familiar app, you can simply unblock the app. If this message displays:

• Write down or take note of the path of the blocked app.
    • Select the message, and then select Add an allowed app.
    • Browse for the program you want to allow access.

As for your query about having no sounds on your computer, it could be caused by an outdated or corrupted audio driver. For us to assist you better, kindly answer the questions below:

• Have you made any changes to your computer prior to this issue?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?
    • Which version and OS build number of Windows 10 is currently installed? To check, press the
      Windows key, type winver, and press the
      Enter
      key.
    • Have you tried to download and install the latest audio driver from the manufacturer's website of your device?

Meanwhile, you can try the steps in this
    link
    to troubleshoot sound issues on Windows 10.

We'll be looking forward to your reply.

Eric Ber, Sep 25, 2018
Thema:

Controlled Folder Access in Windows 10 is blocking iCloud Photos causing excessive download...

1. Controlled Folder Access in Windows 10 is blocking iCloud Photos causing excessive download... - Similar Threads - Controlled Folder Access

2. Icloud photos not downloading

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Icloud photos not downloading: I have windows11 and the latest version of iCloud for Windows. Everything is working fine except for the syncing of stand alone photos. Even photo albums are syncing. I spent time with Apple support and we got apple photos to work once we created a brand new user and...
  3. Icloud photos not downloading

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Icloud photos not downloading: I have windows11 and the latest version of iCloud for Windows. Everything is working fine except for the syncing of stand alone photos. Even photo albums are syncing. I spent time with Apple support and we got apple photos to work once we created a brand new user and...
  4. Controlled folder access blocked

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Controlled folder access blocked: After updating to the latest version of Windows 10, I got a notification of "controlled folder access blocked". I don't know what this means or what I should do....
  5. Multiple iCloud Photos folders, photos not downloading to Windows 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    Multiple iCloud Photos folders, photos not downloading to Windows 10: Hi there, I have an iPhone that syncs photos to iCloud. I also use the iCloud for Windows app to automatically download my photos from iCloud to my Windows 10 laptop. Until recently, all was working fine. Since about a month ago no photos are downloading from iCloud to the...
  6. Controlled Folder Access Blocked

Controlled Folder Access Blocked: Since I installed the latest feature upgrade a few days ago, I have been getting constant messages entitled "Controlled Folder Access Blocked" and I have not been able to make changes to Excel files. I have had these messages for Excel, Explorer, MS Edge, Chrome files. I...
  7. Controlled folder access blocked a program

Controlled folder access blocked a program: Hi. I daily get notification on windows 10 about blocking of xyz by controlled folder access to memory. But I have already included that app in allowed apps still I get this daily. Somebody help. Thanks...
  8. Controlled folder access blocked

Controlled folder access blocked: All of a sudden over the past couple of weeks, I am getting controlled folder access blocked messages. As time goes by, the messages are coming with increasing frequency. At first it was blocking programs like Foxit and CCleaner. The latest blocks are: Controlled Folder...
  9. Controlled-folder Access Blocked

Controlled-folder Access Blocked: I have started having a message saying "Controlled-folder access blocked" whenever I try to run programs. It says that Windows Defender is blocking them. These are popular programs. I have never had this problem before. I don't know what started causing this or how to fix...
  10. Controlled folder access block

Controlled folder access block: Yesterday morning I was playing a game on my Windows 10 PC that requires me to have the disc inserted in my CD drive. When I went to play it today, I received a message that there was no disc inserted. I opened my CD drive and, lo and behold, my disc was right there. When I...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. controlledd acces blocked iphotos ?

2. controlled folder access blocked icloudphotos

3. My Photo Stream cant update because you do not have permission to add files to the download folder. Open iCloud to pick a new folder.

4. Controlled Folder Access in Windows 10 is blocking iCloud Photos