Windows 10: Controlled folder access is off. Why am I still getting blocked app notifications?

Discus and support Controlled folder access is off. Why am I still getting blocked app notifications? in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I recently installed Windows 10 and AMD's StoreMI on a new computer. I turned on Controlled Folder Access at some point, because it sounded like a... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by KMortimer, Dec 9, 2018.

1. KMortimer Win User

Controlled folder access is off. Why am I still getting blocked app notifications?

I recently installed Windows 10 and AMD's StoreMI on a new computer.

I turned on Controlled Folder Access at some point, because it sounded like a useful security feature. When it blocked me from creating desktop shortcuts manually, I turned it off - seems like it might need a little more work.

However, I am still getting notifications - every 30 minutes, likely due to scheduling from StoreMI - saying that Controlled Folder Access prevented StoreMI's executable (entierservice.exe) from making changes to a folder. I can click on it, and it takes me to the security screen... where Controlled Folder Access is off.

What do I do to *actually* turn off Controlled Folder Access at this point?

:)

KMortimer, Dec 9, 2018
  2. Owlcroft Win User

How do I find the application executable that is blocked by Control Folder Access.

I turned on Control Folder Access. When I run a application that is not trusted I get a notification that shows an abbreviated path due to notification length restrictions. I save it to view it under Notifications it is still not readable. I click on it
    to expand the message and it goes away. I have tried going to the "Allow an app through Controlled folder". Instead of showing a list of apps it displays File Manager expecting me to find the executable. Since I cannot read the path or executable in the notification
    I cannot add the app to the list of allowed apps.

Is there a log that displays the entire notification?

Is there a log of app names blocked?

Suggestions:

1. If you are going to use notifications to advise an app is blocked display the executable only. That way I can search for the executable.

2, Give the option of accepting/denying the app access in the Notification.

Wayne

Owlcroft, Dec 9, 2018
  3. Eric Ber Win User
    Controlled Folder Access blocked

Hi Aeolus0,

The Controlled Folder Access is an enterprise-class ransomware protection component that was recently added to Windows Defender. When you turn on Controlled folder access, a lot of the folders you use most often will be protected by default. This means that
    content in any of these folders cannot be accessed or changed by any unknown or untrusted apps. Once you add additional folders, they become automatically protected as well. To add protected folders:

• Select Virus & threat protection settings.
    • Under Controlled folder access, select Protected folders.
    • Select Add a protected folder and follow the prompts to add folders.

If you see an App is blocked message when you try to use a familiar app, you can simply unblock the app. If this message displays:

• Write down or take note of the path of the blocked app.
    • Select the message, and then select Add an allowed app.
    • Browse for the program you want to allow access.

As for your query about having no sounds on your computer, it could be caused by an outdated or corrupted audio driver. For us to assist you better, kindly answer the questions below:

• Have you made any changes to your computer prior to this issue?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?
    • Which version and OS build number of Windows 10 is currently installed? To check, press the
      Windows key, type winver, and press the
      Enter
      key.
    • Have you tried to download and install the latest audio driver from the manufacturer's website of your device?

Meanwhile, you can try the steps in this
    link
    to troubleshoot sound issues on Windows 10.

We'll be looking forward to your reply.

Eric Ber, Dec 9, 2018
  4. Bree Win User

Controlled folder access is off. Why am I still getting blocked app notifications?

Controlled folder access problems

The action center notification for a Controlled Folder Access event tells you exactly what was blocked and the path to find it. You can then just add it to the 'allowed apps' list.

This is not always the obvious executable you'd expect. @NickJP's LibreOffice is a case in point. To get full access for my LibreOffice it was soffice.bin that had to be an allowed app.

If you no longer have the action center notification to hand, or if the path was truncated because it's too long, don't worry. These Controlled Folder Access events are also recorded in the Event Log as Event ID 1123 in...
    Application and Service Logs/Microsoft/Windows/Windows Defender/Operational

Bree, Dec 9, 2018
Thema:

1. Controlled folder access is off. Why am I still getting blocked app notifications? - Similar Threads - Controlled folder access

2. Controlled Folder Access did not block writes to a controlled folder. Why?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Controlled Folder Access did not block writes to a controlled folder. Why?: Background: Controlled folder access is enabled on my Windows 11 Education computer. OneDrive is set to backup C:\Users\MYNAME\Documents. So my documents are in C:\Users\MYNAME\OneDrive\Documents, and my c:\Users]\MYNAME\Documents folder is always empty. The...
  3. Controlled Folder Access did not block writes to a controlled folder. Why?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Controlled Folder Access did not block writes to a controlled folder. Why?: Background: Controlled folder access is enabled on my Windows 11 Education computer. OneDrive is set to backup C:\Users\MYNAME\Documents. So my documents are in C:\Users\MYNAME\OneDrive\Documents, and my c:\Users]\MYNAME\Documents folder is always empty. The...
  4. Controlled folder access blocked

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Controlled folder access blocked: After updating to the latest version of Windows 10, I got a notification of "controlled folder access blocked". I don't know what this means or what I should do....
  5. Controlled Folder Access Blocked

Controlled Folder Access Blocked: Since I installed the latest feature upgrade a few days ago, I have been getting constant messages entitled "Controlled Folder Access Blocked" and I have not been able to make changes to Excel files. I have had these messages for Excel, Explorer, MS Edge, Chrome files. I...
  6. Controlled folder access blocking toast notifications no longer appear

Controlled folder access blocking toast notifications no longer appear: When I first initiated "Controlled folder access" I would get toast notifications when a new app was blocked. I could then allow that app by opening the recently blocked app list , and make an exception for the blocked app. A few weeks ago the toast notifications stopped...
  7. Controlled folder access blocked

Controlled folder access blocked: All of a sudden over the past couple of weeks, I am getting controlled folder access blocked messages. As time goes by, the messages are coming with increasing frequency. At first it was blocking programs like Foxit and CCleaner. The latest blocks are: Controlled Folder...
  8. Controlled-folder Access Blocked

Controlled-folder Access Blocked: I have started having a message saying "Controlled-folder access blocked" whenever I try to run programs. It says that Windows Defender is blocking them. These are popular programs. I have never had this problem before. I don't know what started causing this or how to fix...
  9. Unauthorized changes blocked notification - Controlled folder access blocked

Unauthorized changes blocked notification - Controlled folder access blocked: The Unauthorized changes blocked notification - Controlled folder access blocked - does not provide the complete address of the file location. That is, sometimes I see ...... and can not find the file. How can I expand the file location address in the Notification section...
  10. Controlled folder access block

Controlled folder access block: Yesterday morning I was playing a game on my Windows 10 PC that requires me to have the disc inserted in my CD drive. When I went to play it today, I received a message that there was no disc inserted. I opened my CD drive and, lo and behold, my disc was right there. When I...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. controlled folder access still on

2. why am i getting alot of controlled folder access blocked messages

3. controlled folder access notifications

4. cannot add soffice.bin to allowed apps,
  5. CONTROLLED MEDIA ACCESS BLOCKED FROM MAKING CHANGES TO MEMORY IN WIN10 RY