Windows 10: Controlled Folder Access: Prevents many benign apps/programs from properly installing and...

Discus and support Controlled Folder Access: Prevents many benign apps/programs from properly installing and... in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Hi: I'm new to Windows Defender Security and to Windows 10. I found the "Controlled Folder Access" function, listed under Ransomware Protection... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by eliuri, Oct 13, 2018.

1. eliuri Win User

Controlled Folder Access: Prevents many benign apps/programs from properly installing and...

Hi:

I'm new to Windows Defender Security and to Windows 10.

I found the "Controlled Folder Access" function, listed under Ransomware Protection the most troublesome aspect of it. Often a benign program won't install properly, and I get no notification in the notification center. Also: When it blocks a program from installing, it of course is impossible to allow it into that "whitelist"--since its been blocked from even being on the PC. The pathway, when an alert is actually given, is difficult to quickly jot down.

Simply put: I have to disable the Controlled Folder Access feature entirely until this is refined by Defender. Otherwise it's tons of work and book keeping.

I spent hours trying to troubleshoot my printer software. I got no notice from Defender that it was even blocking that. But it was in fact blocking an important component of the install. It even blocked some drivers of Malwarebytes, which i only realized after disabling the CFA.

I had read somewhere about an audit mode of learning what the CFA feature is actually doing and thereby making it more user friendly, , while at same time leaving it on OFF . It does seem lots of work. But I'd like to read up on that anyhow..I had lost that link in all the chaos. So if anyone has it, I'll have another look

Meanwhile, it behooves Microsoft to develop some recognition pattern whereby Defender can distinguish between benign programs and/or processes. Instead of requesting us to do so much work on this. and second guess why some program isn't running properly even after allowed to install.

:)

eliuri, Oct 13, 2018

2. Preventing access to modern app

Ive been tasked with preventing the children from accessing instagram. I've got it listed in my windows hosts file and internet options/security/restricted site but the windows 10 app is still allowing access. Any suggestions other then deleting app which can just be reinstalled?

FrostyWinnipeg, Oct 13, 2018
  3. Eric Ber Win User
    Controlled Folder Access blocked

Hi Aeolus0,

The Controlled Folder Access is an enterprise-class ransomware protection component that was recently added to Windows Defender. When you turn on Controlled folder access, a lot of the folders you use most often will be protected by default. This means that
    content in any of these folders cannot be accessed or changed by any unknown or untrusted apps. Once you add additional folders, they become automatically protected as well. To add protected folders:

• Select Virus & threat protection settings.
    • Under Controlled folder access, select Protected folders.
    • Select Add a protected folder and follow the prompts to add folders.

If you see an App is blocked message when you try to use a familiar app, you can simply unblock the app. If this message displays:

• Write down or take note of the path of the blocked app.
    • Select the message, and then select Add an allowed app.
    • Browse for the program you want to allow access.

As for your query about having no sounds on your computer, it could be caused by an outdated or corrupted audio driver. For us to assist you better, kindly answer the questions below:

• Have you made any changes to your computer prior to this issue?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?
    • Which version and OS build number of Windows 10 is currently installed? To check, press the
      Windows key, type winver, and press the
      Enter
      key.
    • Have you tried to download and install the latest audio driver from the manufacturer's website of your device?

Meanwhile, you can try the steps in this
    link
    to troubleshoot sound issues on Windows 10.

We'll be looking forward to your reply.

Eric Ber, Oct 13, 2018
  4. NickJP Win User

Controlled Folder Access: Prevents many benign apps/programs from properly installing and...

Controlled folder access problems

I turned on controlled folder access in latest Windows 10 and tested with a few programs I use. I tested by adding Libreoffice calc (c:\program files\libreoffice5\scalc.exe) as an allowed app. However, with controlled folder access on I can't save any spreadsheets that I modify in my Documents folder, which is one of the controlled folders. Same problem with saving an image from either Gimp or Photoshop Elements when I add them to the list of allowed apps.

In its present state this feature seems pretty unusable.

NickJP, Oct 13, 2018
Thema:

1. Controlled Folder Access: Prevents many benign apps/programs from properly installing and... - Similar Threads - Controlled Folder Access

2. Prevent Windows from installing apps

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Prevent Windows from installing apps: Windows keeps installing worthless config apps when I install hardware.I do not have the Store installed, it should not be getting them.It isn't coming from the install files. Unless .INF files are a lot more compressed than I thought....
  3. Preventing access to an app/program temporarily without uninstalling it?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Preventing access to an app/program temporarily without uninstalling it?: My kids need to take a break from fortnite, but I don’t want to uninstall it. Is there a way to hide it or make it so it won’t work for a couple of days? I was wondering if I could just move some of the files to a different folder or something and then move them back when...
  4. Steam is installed but is missing from apps and programs in control panel

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Steam is installed but is missing from apps and programs in control panel: Super weird issue, I have steam installed and it opens and works no problem, but it's missing from programs in control panel. I was going to uninstall it to try to fix it but I can't since it's literally missing from the programs list. Just wanted to see if there was a fix...
  5. REMOVE a default folder from Controlled Folder Access

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    REMOVE a default folder from Controlled Folder Access: We need a way to disable individual default Controlled Folder Access protected folders. As of this writing, the only way to install and use many programs, especially games, is to disable Controlled Folder Access entirely. Example: Many game applications require write access...
  6. Controlled folder access blocked a program

Controlled folder access blocked a program: Hi. I daily get notification on windows 10 about blocking of xyz by controlled folder access to memory. But I have already included that app in allowed apps still I get this daily. Somebody help. Thanks...
  7. How add many programs to Controlled Folder Access?

How add many programs to Controlled Folder Access?: I am considering enabling Controlled Folder Access to minimize the chance of a ransomeware attack. However, adding all of the programs that should be allowed to access files one .EXE at a time will take months. Is there any way to add all of the executables in the Program...
  8. How add many programs to Controlled Folder Access?

in Windows 10 Support
    How add many programs to Controlled Folder Access?: I am considering enabling Controlled Folder Access to minimize the chance of a ransomeware attack. However, adding all of the programs that should be allowed to access files one .EXE at a time will take months. Is there any way to add all of the executables in the Program...
  9. prevent access to certain folder from an account

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    prevent access to certain folder from an account: hi my computer has 2 accounts, both administrators. one is mine, the other is my wife's. I have a folder that contains pictures and videos which I don't want my wife to view/access. I DO need the indexing search mechanism to keep indexing it but I don't want the...
  10. Many programs installing??

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Many programs installing??: After windows 10 downloaded, I was able to use it for a few minutes with no problems. Testing my older programs to see which ones would work. But after only an hour or so I started to have multiple programs download and install themselves. I have spent the last five or six...