Windows 10: Controlled Folder Access process, Block History, gets overloaded, crashes then closes.

Discus and support Controlled Folder Access process, Block History, gets overloaded, crashes then closes. in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Controlled Folder Access process, Block History, gets overloaded, crashes then closes. This failure was consistently failing when I was on v1903.0... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by DennisCPA, Nov 14, 2019.

1. DennisCPA Win User

Controlled Folder Access process, Block History, gets overloaded, crashes then closes.

Controlled Folder Access process, Block History, gets overloaded, crashes then closes. This failure was consistently failing when I was on v1903.0

After successful update to v1909 on 11/11/2019, I received a "Block notice" and immediately accessed "Block History." I was happily stunned that the Block History was loading numerous entries and thought that it is fixed! Within seconds all the accumulating entries stopped; disappeared then disappeared .

I again accessed the Block History link and received the notice that there i.e. "there were no Block Actions". Hours latter same "there were no Block Actions."

Reasonable possibilities for this error:

1. The number of Blocks that will be displayed is limited and MS coders have not trapped that limit - thus the Crash!
    2. Dell Assistant makes 20-30 daily attempts to access my system: NOTICE: Each attempt uses a different path (see yellow highlight)

Controlled Folder Access process, Block History, gets overloaded, crashes then closes. 22300f24-1ee4-4555-8f37-410df9e91a6a?upload=true.jpg
    3. Intel Driver and Support Assistant Installer makes 2-3 daily attempts to access my system: NOTICE: Each attempt uses a different path (see yellow highlight)

Controlled Folder Access process, Block History, gets overloaded, crashes then closes. abd8d8e4-d6e9-48a4-88b1-3876fc96fe6c?upload=true.jpg

It is obvious that too many MS Partners are not aware how to smartly deal with Win 10 CFA.

It is also obvious that these errors are not trapped by MS.

Finally, give your Users a path/plan to clear these excessive intrusions: CLEAR BUTTON Please!

and/or give users info as to where the "listed items are stored" and how we can Clear them. (Regedit??)

Thanks,

DennisCPA

:)

DennisCPA, Nov 14, 2019
  2. Eric Ber Win User

Controlled Folder Access blocked

Hi Aeolus0,

The Controlled Folder Access is an enterprise-class ransomware protection component that was recently added to Windows Defender. When you turn on Controlled folder access, a lot of the folders you use most often will be protected by default. This means that
    content in any of these folders cannot be accessed or changed by any unknown or untrusted apps. Once you add additional folders, they become automatically protected as well. To add protected folders:

• Select Virus & threat protection settings.
    • Under Controlled folder access, select Protected folders.
    • Select Add a protected folder and follow the prompts to add folders.

If you see an App is blocked message when you try to use a familiar app, you can simply unblock the app. If this message displays:

• Write down or take note of the path of the blocked app.
    • Select the message, and then select Add an allowed app.
    • Browse for the program you want to allow access.

As for your query about having no sounds on your computer, it could be caused by an outdated or corrupted audio driver. For us to assist you better, kindly answer the questions below:

• Have you made any changes to your computer prior to this issue?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?
    • Which version and OS build number of Windows 10 is currently installed? To check, press the
      Windows key, type winver, and press the
      Enter
      key.
    • Have you tried to download and install the latest audio driver from the manufacturer's website of your device?

Meanwhile, you can try the steps in this
    link
    to troubleshoot sound issues on Windows 10.

We'll be looking forward to your reply.

Eric Ber, Nov 14, 2019
  3. AMX& Win User
    Windows Security - Controlled Folder Access - Recently Blocked App List

Hello,

I thank you for your response. I know how to add and remove apps to and from the controlled folder access. My question is how to remove an app from the "Recently Blocked Apps" list. In Windows 1809 they made it easier to add apps to the controlled folder
    access without having to navigate to the exe. They added a Recently Blocked Apps list you can select from. The steps for Windows 1809 are:

1. Open the Windows Security and click/tap on the Virus & threat protection icon.

2. Click/tap on the Manage ransomware protection link under the Ransomware protection section.

3. Click/tap on the Allow an app through Controlled folder access link.

4. Click/tap on Yes when prompted by UAC to approve.

5. Click/tap on Add an Allowed App (+) sign

6. Click or tap Recently Blocked Apps from the drop down menu. (NEW)

7. Click or tap on the (+) button for the app you want to add from the list. (NEW)

It is this Recently Blocked Folders List I am trying to edit to remove apps I have not authorized and that have been deleted from my PC and are still in this list. I know you can select an allowed app from the controlled folder access list and you will
    see a REMOVE button, which in 1809 will put the app back in the Recently Blocked Apps list if it was there originally. But that same process does not work on the Blocked Apps list.

My question still remains:

How do you delete an app from the "Recently Blocked Apps" list in Windows Security for Windows 1809?

AMX&, Nov 14, 2019
  4. Telos Win User

Controlled Folder Access process, Block History, gets overloaded, crashes then closes.

Controlled folder access blocking toast notifications no longer appear

When I first initiated "Controlled folder access" I would get toast notifications when a new app was blocked. I could then allow that app by opening the recently blocked app list , and make an exception for the blocked app.

A few weeks ago the toast notifications stopped for this feature (otherwise they are active). Now when a program fails to load, I have to toggle off controlled folder access and retry the program launch. If successful, I then manually locate that program to make an exception, as it does not appear in the recently blocked apps list.

How do I again receive toast notifications, and why are the blocked programs no longer appearing in the recently blocked apps list? Is there a means to manually clear the recently blocked list? This anti-ransomware feature has become a nuisance to manage.

Does anyone here use this?

Telos, Nov 14, 2019
Thema:

1. Controlled Folder Access process, Block History, gets overloaded, crashes then closes. - Similar Threads - Controlled Folder Access

2. Controlled Folder Access block history crashing

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Controlled Folder Access block history crashing: Hello, I've had this issue for a few days now. When i try to access the block history of Controlled Folder Access it freezes and then crashes after a few seconds. Before it crashes I can still switch to some other tab in Windows Security. There was a day where it worked fine...
  3. Controlled Folder Access block history crashing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Controlled Folder Access block history crashing: Hello, I've had this issue for a few days now. When i try to access the block history of Controlled Folder Access it freezes and then crashes after a few seconds. Before it crashes I can still switch to some other tab in Windows Security. There was a day where it worked fine...
  4. Controlled Folder Access block history crashing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. How to clear controlled Folder Access in Block History Protection History

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to clear controlled Folder Access in Block History Protection History: I am having trouble clearing my controlled folder access block history. I know of the method of deleting the Service folder by going into ProgramData/Mircosoft/WindowsDefener/Scans/History by deleting the files under CacheManager and turning real time protection on and off,...
  6. How to clear controlled Folder Access in Block History Protection History

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to clear controlled Folder Access in Block History Protection History: I am having trouble clearing my controlled folder access block history. I know of the method of deleting the Service folder by going into ProgramData/Mircosoft/WindowsDefener/Scans/History by deleting the files under CacheManager and turning real time protection on and off,...
  7. How to clear controlled Folder Access in Block History Protection History

in Windows 10 Gaming
  8. Clear Controlled Folder Access Block History

Clear Controlled Folder Access Block History: I am having trouble clearing my controlled folder access block history. I am aware of the method of deleting the Service folder in Windows Defender/History and turning real time protection on and off, but this does nothing for me. Neither does clearing the windows defender...
  9. Controlled folder access blocked

Controlled folder access blocked: All of a sudden over the past couple of weeks, I am getting controlled folder access blocked messages. As time goes by, the messages are coming with increasing frequency. At first it was blocking programs like Foxit and CCleaner. The latest blocks are: Controlled Folder...
  10. Controlled-folder Access Blocked

Controlled-folder Access Blocked: I have started having a message saying "Controlled-folder access blocked" whenever I try to run programs. It says that Windows Defender is blocking them. These are popular programs. I have never had this problem before. I don't know what started causing this or how to fix...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 protectes folder blocked apps window crash

2. Controlled Folder Access process Block History gets overloaded