Windows 10: Controlled folder Access question

Discus and support Controlled folder Access question in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I decided to try this new feature in 1709. So I am busily adding .exe to my whitelist. But I have a question. I have a 3rd party music programme I... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Jeddie, Nov 27, 2017.

1. Jeddie Win User

Controlled folder Access question

I decided to try this new feature in 1709. So I am busily adding .exe to my whitelist.

But I have a question. I have a 3rd party music programme I use for ripping CD's, playing songs and the like.
    From time to time it prompts me to update to the latest version.

My concern is; If I update to the latest version of the programme, it will begin to download and install.
    Maybe it will install, but what if Controlled Folder Access stops a particular file (.exe? Other?) in the middle of the upgrade?
    Will I have a corrupted Music programme because it didn't install?
    How do I know what files to whitelist for this or any other programme?

Your thoughts?

PS I'm still not comfortable with this. If I had a ransom issue I would simply restore a System image.

:)

Jeddie, Nov 27, 2017

2. Controlled Access Folder

Thanks John

I'll blame you when the pir8s come hacking.

But seriously the update is running well on the Surface Pro 4

MrMikeReynolds, Nov 27, 2017
  3. Controlled Access Folder

Hi

In Windows Defender > Virus and Threat Protection Settings > there is an option:

Controlled Folder Access

Protected your files and folders from unauthorized changed(sic) by unfriendly applications.

This is followed by an On/Off switch.

After i updated to the 2017 Fall Update this switch was left as Off.

Many tech/and other websites are discussing that this should be changed to On.

Should I change it to On?

All other options were On except the Controlled Folder Access.

Regards

MrMikeReynolds, Nov 27, 2017
  4. Plankton Win User

What is the name of the program? Have you checked your version vs the support website for the software?

Plankton, Nov 27, 2017
  5. Jeddie Win User
    I think you misunderstand my question. I have updated my music software many times. Really I was just using my music programme as an example to illustrate my question.

I am concerned that if I install / Upgrade any programme, my Controlled folder may stop the install because it won't allow access to a required part of my system.
    Thereby leaving me with partially installed software.

So how do I get around this? How do I know what files to whitelist until I begin to install?

Jeddie, Nov 27, 2017
  6. Plankton Win User
    My question to you is: What is a "Controlled folder"?

OK...so I found out what it is from here. That aside.....every software I've installed that requires an update (new version of software), it updates just fine.

Plankton, Nov 28, 2017
  7. Bree New Member
    I have been had Controlled Folder Access turned on for over a month now. In that time I have reinstalled at least one of my 3rd-party programs. Controlled Folder Access didn't interfere.

Bree, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Controlled folder Access question - Similar Threads - Controlled folder Access

2. Windows Security Controlled Folder Access question

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Security Controlled Folder Access question: I have recently turned on the Controlled Folder Access feature in Windows Security. But I have noticed that shortly after I turned it on, a Windows Security notification tells me that it protected a folder from an unwanted program. I ignored it but it recently got worse and...
  3. Windows Security Controlled Folder Access question

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Security Controlled Folder Access question: I have recently turned on the Controlled Folder Access feature in Windows Security. But I have noticed that shortly after I turned it on, a Windows Security notification tells me that it protected a folder from an unwanted program. I ignored it but it recently got worse and...
  4. controlled folder access

in Windows 10 Gaming
    controlled folder access: When trying to open Controlled Folder Access, a window opened that said the IT administrator had restricted access to this page. The computer is my personal PC and I have no IT Administrator. How do I retrieve access to this page?...
  5. controlled folder access

in Windows 10 Customization
    controlled folder access: When trying to open Controlled Folder Access, a window opened that said the IT administrator had restricted access to this page. The computer is my personal PC and I have no IT Administrator. How do I retrieve access to this page?...
  6. controlled folder access

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    controlled folder access: My real-time protection, cloud-delivered protection, automatic sample submission, tamper protections all are off. I try to on it. but it doesn't work. It says to on the controlled folder access. but when I try to on that option. it doesn't work. It says, "protects files,...
  7. CONTROLLED FOLDER ACCESS

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    CONTROLLED FOLDER ACCESS: MY CONTOLLED FOLDER ACCESS WILL NOT TURN ON https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/controlled-folder-access/7c2fdde9-b968-47ee-88b5-b8411d7e02b9
  8. Controlled Folder Access

Controlled Folder Access: Why is Win 10 suddenly blocking access to all games in my STEAM folder? I have to constantly add each and every game I access to the add access in controlled folders. I understand that I can turn it off (which I don't want to do). I have already given permission for...
  9. Controlled Folder Access

Controlled Folder Access: Trying to use Controlled Folder access on a couple of machines. I am running into an issue where after about a day defender notifications no longer appear in the action center nor are they logged by defender in event viewer. If i look in event viewer at the defender...
  10. Controlled folder access

Controlled folder access: For the last week the controlled folder access is blocking my Quicken program from updating or downloading anything. When I click on the notice it takes me to the allow app but when I open that to choose to allow app nothing is there! I really need to use my Quicken. How do...