Windows 10: Controller drift when controller works fine on console

Discus and support Controller drift when controller works fine on console in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Every time I try to use a controller on Windows 10, it displays a large amount of drifting despite it not showing this problem on its intended console.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by LoganMalone, Apr 5, 2020.

1. Controller drift when controller works fine on console

Every time I try to use a controller on Windows 10, it displays a large amount of drifting despite it not showing this problem on its intended console. Tried both Dualshock 4 and Switch pro controller and both had the issue despite both being new. Calibration doesn't work either. What can I do to fix this?

:)

LoganMalone, Apr 5, 2020

2. Controller connection

Hi,

If the controller keeps disconnecting when you use it on an Xbox One console, it may be due to outdated controller firmware. To resolve this issue, we suggest checking if there are updates available for the controller. Refer to

Update your Xbox One Controller
    for the steps.

In addition, keeping your console up-to-date can also help resolve connection issues with Xbox accessories. To manually update your console, kindly perform the following steps:

• Make sure your console is connected to the Internet, and then open the
      Guide
      and choose Settings > All settings.
    • Select System > Updates > Update console.
    If no update is available, your console is up-to-date.

See
    Xbox One Wireless Controller disconnects or can't connect
    for more troubleshooting solutions that you may perform.

Keep us posted with the progress. We'd be glad to clear things up.

Catherine Cus., Apr 5, 2020
  3. Controller configuration window freezing, unable to fix joystick drift.

Hi, AdamtheMute,

I am an Independent Advisor.

I'm sorry your friend has experienced issues with her controller. This from what I understand is typical of 360 controllers.

1. Member, Ender89 suggests:

"The stick drift is usually caused by plastic dust (from the thumbstick wearing against the shell of the controller) gumming up the analog mechanism that tracks the position of the thumbstick. I get it occasionally on my left thumbstick, and I fix it by prizing
    off the plastic piece on side of the controller grip, exposing the space between the circuit board and the shell, and blasting some canned air at the mechanism to clean it."

https://www.technobezz.com/xbox-one-controller-...

2. Steam Community Reply related to Xbox One however may work for Xbox 360.

https://steamcommunity.com/app/320140/discussio...

3. I'd advise going into a Clean Boot state to determine what is causing the system to Hang. You might also look into Event Viewer > Windows Logs > Application Log

Look for Errors that have Hang in them. This usually is a driver conflict causing the system to Hang.

In Clean Boot, pay attention to the Steps Listed here under - How to determine what is causing the problem after you do a clean boot. You may wish to print this page for reference.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/929135...

4. You might also try doing the Drift Fix while in Safe Mode with Networking.

Start > Type Msconfig > Press Enter

Select Boot Tab

Select Safe boot

Select Networking

Click Apply, Ok

Reboot and Windows will load into Safe Mode with Networking.

Verify if the Hang/Freeze issue arises while fixing the Drift issue.

Before rebooting the computer, go back to Msconfig window. Uncheck Safe Boot.

Click Apply, Ok

Reboot the computer and Windows will load Normally.

Smittychat., Apr 5, 2020
  4. Controller drift when controller works fine on console

Game controller ID settings

Hi Joe,

Thank you for the update. I understand your concern.

I would suggest you to look for the Devices settings in Control Panel and check if the game controllers are listed. If so, refer to the following steps to alter the settings and check if these are helpful in resolving your issue.

a. Right click on one of your game controllers and click Game Controller Settings. Note where in the list it is. If it is not at the top proceed to the next step.

b. Right click and remove all your other controllers (not the 360/gamepad) and let them reinstall automatically.

c. Once complete right click and check the list again and see if the 360 controller/gamepad is at the top. If so, give the game another try and see if it detects your controller.

If the issue still persists, restart your console and then try to reconnect your controller.

Hope this information is helpful. Please post back your results for further assistance.

Harkanwar Singh, Apr 5, 2020
Thema:

Controller drift when controller works fine on console

1. Controller drift when controller works fine on console - Similar Threads - Controller drift controller

2. Left stick drift on all Xbox controllers on win 11?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Left stick drift on all Xbox controllers on win 11?: I have 3 Xbox controllers, one is Xbox One and the other 2 are Xbox series S controllers, and all three left analog sticks drift to the bottom right in any game I try on my windows 11 fully updated laptop. I've downloaded the Xbox accessories app but my connections are...
  3. Left stick drift on all Xbox controllers on win 11?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Left stick drift on all Xbox controllers on win 11?: I have 3 Xbox controllers, one is Xbox One and the other 2 are Xbox series S controllers, and all three left analog sticks drift to the bottom right in any game I try on my windows 11 fully updated laptop. I've downloaded the Xbox accessories app but my connections are...
  4. Game stutters while using controller, fine without controller

Game stutters while using controller, fine without controller: I have recently upgraded from Windows 10 to Windows 11, and now I have a problem playing a game using a controller. The game runs perfectly when the controller is not connected, but if I launch the game with the controller, it starts stuttering; however, FPS is not dropping I...
  5. Game stutters while using controller, fine without controller

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Game stutters while using controller, fine without controller: I have recently upgraded from Windows 10 to Windows 11, and now I have a problem playing a game using a controller. The game runs perfectly when the controller is not connected, but if I launch the game with the controller, it starts stuttering; however, FPS is not dropping I...
  6. controller not working

controller not working: Ever since I updated to windows 11 my Xbox one first gen controller don't work. Normally back in windows 10 if I just plug my controller it works. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/controller-not-working/4fc30232-a282-4c93-88c1-4b91cbe58036
  7. Controllers not working?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Controllers not working?: Recently my DirectInput controllers just stopped working natively. The only way I can get them to function is by using steam to configure them as Xinput (Xbox One). It seems as they are detected, but non-steam games do not detect them. I am using Nintendo Pro Controllers, and...
  8. realtek audio control/console unavailible/not launching

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    realtek audio control/console unavailible/not launching: As the title says. I have Msi x570 tomahawk motherboard and I installed latest audio drivers from the support page of the product. I see app widget for realtek audio console, but it does not open when I click on it. I tried most things suggested from results of...
  9. controller is fine but software is broke?

in Windows 10 Customization
    controller is fine but software is broke?: Hi My controller's right analog stick seems to be fine however when I a playing any game it makes me look down as if I am pushing it forwards and i dont know what to do, any suggestions? thanks...
  10. Controller configuration window freezing, unable to fix joystick drift.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Controller configuration window freezing, unable to fix joystick drift.: Trying to help out a friend fix her gamepad. She's had bad luck with her past 2 new Xbox 360 controllers, both are drifting to the left. Not just an annoying slight-aiming movement, you actually slowly move to the left. I suppose it's possible to have to defective ones in a...