Windows 10: Convert .doc to .docx ribbon to 2016's default settings?

Discus and support Convert .doc to .docx ribbon to 2016's default settings? in Microsoft Office and 365 to solve the problem; I use Microsoft Home & Student 2016. I have some Word 2000 documents I want to convert to Word 2016. --- I just opened a Word 2000 .doc and converted... Discussion in 'Microsoft Office and 365' started by MeAndMyComputer, Jul 21, 2018.

1. Convert .doc to .docx ribbon to 2016's default settings?

I use Microsoft Home & Student 2016. I have some Word 2000 documents I want to convert to Word 2016.
    --- I just opened a Word 2000 .doc and converted it to .docx.

Convert .doc to .docx  ribbon to 2016's default settings? [​IMG]

Then I changed the Word 2000 text TNR fonts to Word 2016's text fonts to Calibri 11 manually.

But then the ribbon headings in the converted 2000 .doc document hadn't converted to the 2016.docx ribbon headings.

My Word 2016 ribbon headings are

Is it possible to set the converted .doc to .docx ribbon to 2016's default settings?

:)

MeAndMyComputer, Jul 21, 2018

2. Converting .doc files to .docx files for editing on Windows Phone?

Nice reply Todd! Nice easy steps!

If you have a lot of files and you feel the need to convert all of them then this MSDN blog post by Eric White might be of some use to you.

Bulk Convert DOC to DOCX

Although you can do them all, I'm not sure it is worth doing unless you have the need to access them all right away. It just might be as easy to do them on an as needed basis

Jack Cook - aka Help_Line, Jul 21, 2018
  3. Converting .doc files to .docx files for editing on Windows Phone?

Thanks Todd...I got a bit further with this, managed to convert a .doc attachment to .docx by modifying the setting to display "desktop versions" of web sites and then opening it in the online web app on skydrive for editing. However, whilst converting
    it to a docx file the Microsoft Word Web App came up with the error message "Sorry, we ran into a problem" and then when I then tried downloading the new docx file to my phone I got a different error message, saying that the content was not supported and therefore
    the document could not be edited. :/

I have only found one other person online somewhere who had this problem (no solution was found), so I don't know if I am going wrong somewhere here... I am still learning here!

If I was on my PC, this wouldn't even be an issue, I would just re-save the file in the new format. I bought a Windows phone in the hope that I would be able to edit files in track changes and send them back when away from my computer... then I found out
    about this compatibility issue with older office files, which I often receive from clients.

Thanks for your help - let me know if you have any other suggestions! Convert .doc to .docx  ribbon to 2016's default settings? :)

MandyFearnley, Jul 21, 2018
  4. Convert .doc to .docx ribbon to 2016's default settings?

Converting .doc files to .docx files for editing on Windows Phone?

Save the .doc file to your SkyDrive using the Office app on the phone. SkyDrive itself doesn't convert the files, but Office Live (the online version of Office) can. Launch the phone browser and and make sure its settings are set to display "desktop versions"
    of web sites. Go to SkyDrive.live.com (sign in if necessary) and open the file in the browser. Now you should be able to "Save as..." a .docx file. Now you can go into Office on the phone and download the .docx version.

A very clunky procedure, but it works in a pinch if you're away from your PC. This is far easier to do on a PC, though, if one is available, with either the Office software, or Office Live.

ToddAllcock, Jul 21, 2018
Thema:

Convert .doc to .docx ribbon to 2016's default settings?

1. Convert .doc to .docx ribbon to 2016's default settings? - Similar Threads - Convert doc docx

2. DocX versus ODT versus Doc

in Windows 10 Gaming
    DocX versus ODT versus Doc: It's been a minute since I needed to use Word. Imagine my surprise when there are now two word type documents and although I understand the main differences between the two - I don't understand why my laptop isn't saving them all as word docs. There may be something funky in...
  3. DocX versus ODT versus Doc

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    DocX versus ODT versus Doc: It's been a minute since I needed to use Word. Imagine my surprise when there are now two word type documents and although I understand the main differences between the two - I don't understand why my laptop isn't saving them all as word docs. There may be something funky in...
  4. Convert PDF to DOC

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Convert PDF to DOC: I would like to convert a PDF into DOC . I am running Office 2010. Can it be done? 175195
  5. Setting default Word version for opening docs

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Setting default Word version for opening docs: Hello, How do I choose a the default version of Word with which to open docs? Currently I have 2013 and 2019 installed, and the files are opened in 2013 by default. How do I set them so they're opened by 2019? When I go to "Open with" from the context menu and select Word...
  6. Cannot upload docx or doc files to certain webpages

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cannot upload docx or doc files to certain webpages: I have a problem with uploading docx and doc files to certain webpages like indeed and Linkedin. so I have tried to do as much troubleshooting as possible but I am running out of ideas. I'm using a Hp EliteBook 850-G4 with windows 10 Home edition I do not have any...
  7. Convert docs to pdf

Convert docs to pdf: my computer has suddenly stopped being able to convert jpeg docs into pdf. It seems to go through the usual process before saying; 'sorry we couldn't find a programme etc. It's always done it before, any ideas why it's now stopped?...
  8. WhatsApp Desktop Version converts all files (docx, doc, ppt,...) into zip that can't be...

WhatsApp Desktop Version converts all files (docx, doc, ppt,...) into zip that can't be...: Hi! Since I bought the Microsoft Surface coming with Windows 10S in October 2018 I can't send Microsoft Word documents or Powerpoint presentations via the WhatsApp Desktop App anymore. They are automatically converted into zips despite containing not even 1MB of data. As...
  9. Converting a TXT doc into a Word doc?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Converting a TXT doc into a Word doc?: How do I convert a text doc into a word doc? Thanks- LB https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/apps_windows_10-winapps-appscat_tools/converting-a-txt-doc-into-a-word-doc/d8192142-066d-49d9-b2ee-c5098ea28b03
  10. Word .doc and .docx files open minimized and will not maximize

in Windows 10 Support
    Word .doc and .docx files open minimized and will not maximize: I'm wondering if someone has seen this problem. I've been running MS Office 2007 on Windows 10 for over six months with no problems. Now all of a sudden, Word will not open to full screen, but remains minimized on the task bar. And there is nothing that I can to to maximize...