Windows 10: Convert dual boot to single boot

Discus and support Convert dual boot to single boot in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I currently have a dual boot (separate drives) of Win 10 Pro and the Win 10 Insider. I'm considering dropping the Insider and only having my production... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by fireberd, Nov 17, 2018.

1. fireberd Win User

Convert dual boot to single boot

I currently have a dual boot (separate drives) of Win 10 Pro and the Win 10 Insider. I'm considering dropping the Insider and only having my production Win 10 Pro. I had the Insider versions to test my recording studio software and hardware but that is no longer necessary (like it was when Win 10 was first introduced).

According to the listing in my (UEFI) BIOS, the first entry is "Windows Boot Manager" which is shown as being on the drive for Win 10 Pro.

I have EasyBCD and I deleted the Insider from the boot list but that didn't work. It wouldn't boot with just the one drive listed. I tried recovering the boot loader for that drive, with several command line commands and none of that worked. I had to restore a disc image. Thus I'm stuck at what to do, if I convert to just the Win 10 Pro installation. Is there something else I can do in EasyBCD to accomplish this? I don't want to do a clean install.

Thanks/Jack

:)

fireberd, Nov 17, 2018
  2. Jose Est Win User

Converting a dual boot system disc to single boot

Hi Panagiotis,

Disk Management is a built-in tool in Windows 10 which helps you manage hard disk partitions without rebooting the system and any interruption. Some of the features of Windows 10 Disk Management are as follows:

• Create, delete and format partitions.
    • Change drive letter and paths.
    • Mark partition as active.
    • Explore partition to view files.
    • Extend and shrink partition.
    • Add mirror.
    • Initialize a brand new disk before you can use it.
    • Convert empty MBR to GPT disk, and vice versa.
    • Convert empty dynamic disk to basic disk.

To answer your question, once you have erased the Linux partition, the Boot Manager should not prompt you to choose which OS to be use in booting. Otherwise, we strongly suggest doing a Windows 10 clean install.

If you have other concerns, don't hesitate to get back to us.

Jose Est, Nov 17, 2018
  3. Solaris17 Win User
    Dual Boot?

I can help here iv had both i used partition magic to split my HDD and i installed vista on one and xp was already on the other only problem is id watch out if i were you for some reason vista does not like to dual boot iv seen this on a couple of my machines and my buddys. so step one have xp installed step 2 find a partitioner of your choice i dont know of any except partition magic and the one included on xp...only thing is i dont think the one on xp will even partition them...then pop in your vista DVD and select the drive of your choice....the only thing i can think of that causes vista to hate dual booting sooo much is that when their are 2 OS's installed xp uses its own prog to list them on boot well vista uses a totally diff boot loader than the previous os's and i think they conflict the problems i hade were the standard missing windows folder missing HAL.dll and the nt one dont remember the name.....that and after your done vista and boot into xp things didnt like to start correctly specially if you scan disk with vista.

Solaris17, Nov 17, 2018
  4. Convert dual boot to single boot

Dual Booting

Please follow the steps in the tutorial for how to post the screenshot. I cannot even see Disk 0, 1 and 2 on the drive map, and the columns were not spread so i can see the labels in the listings above even though it lllustates how to do this.

As long as you don't have a UEFI install then you can move the boot loader to Windows 10 so that it manages the Dual Boot using it's menu, add the Dual Boot back from there. These same steps using EasyBCD should do it:

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/209885-boo...

Greg Carmack - Windows MVP, Nov 17, 2018
Thema:

Convert dual boot to single boot

1. Convert dual boot to single boot - Similar Threads - Convert dual boot

2. Changing dual boot Windows computer to single

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Changing dual boot Windows computer to single: W7/W10 dual boot computer My computer was initially a W7 machine. Besides System Reserved, there have been three partitions on the machine's single drive: 1) A primary partition with W7, program files, etc. 2) "My Stuff" (my documents and project files) 3) "Video" for my...
  3. dual boot

in Windows 10 Customization
    dual boot: how do i remove a dual boot to make it single boot system w/Windows 10? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/dual-boot/1f4d89b9-3e50-4e91-97b5-f8589935661c
  4. Dual Booting

Dual Booting: I have Windows 10 set in msconfig as my default operating system. When I turn on the computer I get the black Boot Manager screen and if I want Windows 7 I have to use the up arrow and hit enter. my question is how do you get that blue screen with both operating systems in a...
  5. Convert dual boot disk into single OS

Convert dual boot disk into single OS: Greetings all. May I ask for a bit of sanity check please. I have a PC running two Windows 10 OS's on two separate partitions. Windows asks me which one I want to run when booting up. I now want to remove one OS and recover its space. If I understand correctly I need to:...
  6. Dual booting

in Windows 10 Customization
    Dual booting: I have set up a VHD and loaded it with ubuntu 18.04.1 LST. The problem is I can't make the VHD visible so I can't dual boot my laptop. If I go to This PC and look, all I see is C:. If I open C: then I can see the VHD but can't access it. What did I do wrong? How can I fix...
  7. Convert dual boot install to normal boot

Convert dual boot install to normal boot: After several weeks of testing I'm ready to go full on Windows 10 and want to get rid of Windows 7 but I have some partitioning issues I want to clean up. I currently have Windows 7 on drive 0 (360 GB) and Windows 10 on drive 1 (500 GB). Both are SATA drives and RAID is...
  8. Dual Boot

Dual Boot: This is a two part question, and please note I do not have Win10 myself. In fact I do not have direct access to the computer I am talking about although I do have the full technical details of it, including all drivers, etc. Firstly, If Win10 is already installed on a...
  9. How do I change a dual boot into a single boot PC

How do I change a dual boot into a single boot PC: Perhaps my explanation wasn't clear. I want to install all the programs I want on Partition F (while booted into it). This is my clean install. When they all work as I want them to, I intend to delete the current partition C: (the old installation) and just use the clean...
  10. What is my upgrade path from dual boot back to single boot

What is my upgrade path from dual boot back to single boot: My laptop has dual boot - Windows 7 and Windows 10. My Win7 environment is my main working environment with lots of programs installed and important files. I installed the Win10 environnment just to play around with 10 during the technical preview. Now, I would like to...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how to make a dual boot pc in to single boot