Windows 10: convert mbr not needed after diskpart clean command?

Discus and support convert mbr not needed after diskpart clean command? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; @NavyLCDR, you said in another thread: The clean command in diskpart automatically converts the drive to MBR. "Convert MBR" is never necessary after... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Ztruker, Mar 18, 2019.

1. Ztruker Win User

convert mbr not needed after diskpart clean command?

@NavyLCDR, you said in another thread:
    I tested this and does not appear to be the case. Flash drive is GPT before and after the clean command is run.

Code: >diskpart Microsoft DiskPart version 10.0.17763.1 Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation. On computer: DESKTOP DISKPART> list disk Disk ### Status Size Free Dyn Gpt -------- ------------- ------- ------- --- --- Disk 0 Online 465 GB 46 GB * Disk 1 Online 1863 GB 1024 KB * Disk 2 Online 1863 GB 0 B * Disk 3 No Media 0 B 0 B Disk 4 Online 14 GB 0 B * DISKPART> sel disk 4 Disk 4 is now the selected disk. DISKPART> clean DiskPart succeeded in cleaning the disk. DISKPART> list disk Disk ### Status Size Free Dyn Gpt -------- ------------- ------- ------- --- --- Disk 0 Online 465 GB 46 GB * Disk 1 Online 1863 GB 1024 KB * Disk 2 Online 1863 GB 0 B * Disk 3 No Media 0 B 0 B * Disk 4 Online 14 GB 14 GB *[/quote] My system is a Lenovo K450 4th gen i7 4770 Quad 3.4Ghz
    UEFI, all drives are GPT.
    1809 17763.379

convert mbr not needed after diskpart clean command? [​IMG]

Thoughts?

:)

Ztruker, Mar 18, 2019

2. Convert GPT to MBR

Easy fix, if you know diskpart *Smile convert mbr not needed after diskpart clean command? :)

1.Open up command prompt
    2. Type “diskpart” and press Enter. You will be presented with a DISKPART prompt.
    3. Select the hard disk you wish to clean by using the select disk command. By default, the primary hard disk is classified as hard disk 0. Type in list disk. Find the number of the disk you want. Then type in "select disk x" x= number of the disk you want
    4. Type in clean
    5. Open up Disk Management, and you will find it has a new disk to initialize, make sure you check mbr this time *Smile convert mbr not needed after diskpart clean command? :)

someguyfromhell, Mar 18, 2019
  3. Diskpart question-convert from GPT to MBR on a flash drive

Just had a thought.. if you just insert "convert mbr" after the clean command during the bootable drive creation procedure. Would it be necessary to close down the diskpart command prompt screen after the convert mbr command as the next command would be create partition primary? I thought Id better ask in case the create partition primary command causes a problem with the convert mbr command with you saying that you are 99% certain the clean command reverts the drive back to MBR automatically anyway. Would it be better to close down diskpart after clean and convert mbr. Then open diskpart up again and create partition primary, fs=fat32 quick, active, exit to finish off creating the bootable flash drive?

sportsfan148, Mar 18, 2019
  4. convert mbr not needed after diskpart clean command?

clone MBR HD to bootable GPT partition?

Hi,

1. You cannot convert mbr to gpt without data loss. otherwise, you can follow directions here:

FROM WINDOWS RECOVERY CONSOLE:

To change a master boot record disk into a GUID partition table disk using a command line

• Back up or move the data on the basic master boot record (MBR) disk you want to convert into a GUID partition table (GPT) disk.

• Open an elevated command prompt (right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as Administrator) and type diskpart. If the disk does not contain any partitions or volumes, skip to step 6.

• At the DISKPART prompt, type list disk. Make note of the disk number you want to convert.

• At the DISKPART prompt, type select disk <disknumber>.

• At the DISKPART prompt, type clean.

2. I'd suggest converting your vista drive to a virtual machine, load that up on your windows 10 system and use a program like virtualbox to run it.

CoatH4nger, Mar 18, 2019
Thema:

convert mbr not needed after diskpart clean command?

1. convert mbr not needed after diskpart clean command? - Similar Threads - convert mbr needed

2. Data recovery after diskpart clean command

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Data recovery after diskpart clean command: Hi Laptop: Asuspro 2520LJI encountered this error when reinstalling Windows 10: "the selected disk has an mbr partition table on efi systems windows can only be installed to gpt...". what did i do?shift+F10 = open command prompt Diskpart List disk result: I had two disks, one...
  3. Data recovery after diskpart clean command

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Data recovery after diskpart clean command: Hi Laptop: Asuspro 2520LJI encountered this error when reinstalling Windows 10: "the selected disk has an mbr partition table on efi systems windows can only be installed to gpt...". what did i do?shift+F10 = open command prompt Diskpart List disk result: I had two disks, one...
  4. Data recovery after diskpart clean command

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Restore VeraCrypt Partition after DiskPart Clean Command

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Restore VeraCrypt Partition after DiskPart Clean Command: Hello,I'm writing here after seeing another thread where this is already commented:https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/data-recovery-after-diskpart-clean/56428538-73ce-439a-8c24-543853e4db54I was trying to get in contact with Greg Carmack who seems to be...
  6. Restore VeraCrypt Partition after DiskPart Clean Command

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Restore VeraCrypt Partition after DiskPart Clean Command: Hello,I'm writing here after seeing another thread where this is already commented:https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/data-recovery-after-diskpart-clean/56428538-73ce-439a-8c24-543853e4db54I was trying to get in contact with Greg Carmack who seems to be...
  7. Restore VeraCrypt Partition after DiskPart Clean Command

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  8. diskpart clean with convert mbr to gpt makes it unrecoverable or deleting volume then...

diskpart clean with convert mbr to gpt makes it unrecoverable or deleting volume then...: diskpart clean with convert mbr to gpt makes it unrecoverable or deleting volume then convert gpt to mbr is worse makes it unrecoverable https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/diskpart-clean-with-convert-mbr-to-gpt-makes-it/d4c927e7-5a09-482b-bbfa-502b9f9b60a0
  9. Can i convert mbr to gpt with just deleting volume or diskpart clean is needed

Can i convert mbr to gpt with just deleting volume or diskpart clean is needed: Can i convert mbr to gpt with just deleting volume or diskpart clean is needed https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/can-i-convert-mbr-to-gpt-with-just-deleting-volume/2b3460fb-ca34-4104-ab83-8210e693e4c3
  10. Need diskpart commands

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Need diskpart commands: I am going to reinstall but i forgot the typical diskpart commands that i want to do before hand on my SSD , i know clean is one of them but i forgot the others . I just have one SSD for boot and usage . Thank you 19116