Windows 10: Convert MBR to GPT with MBR2GPT

Discus and support Convert MBR to GPT with MBR2GPT in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; In order to be compatibe with Windows 11(?) I must change following settings: Boot type: UEFI Disk partiton: GPT instead of MBR TPM Version: enabled in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by aliskander, Jul 6, 2021.

1. Convert MBR to GPT with MBR2GPT

In order to be compatibe with Windows 11(?) I must change following settings: Boot type: UEFI Disk partiton: GPT instead of MBR TPM Version: enabled in UEFI the tool MBR2GPT (already on the system as part of the Windows 10 Creators Update) does just that. my disk meets the conversion requirements (MBR2GPT validate) My question is: if I do the actual conversion from MBR to GPT will I loose data or OS? thanks in advance fot any answer. gabril

:)

aliskander, Jul 6, 2021
  2. Peer_Sam Win User

How to convert an MBR disk into a GPT disk

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

This is an unexpected behavior, after you convert the disk from MBR to GPT, it shouldn’t convert back automatically, however you can try to convert the disk back to GPT format if you are on Windows 10 version 1703 or later using the inbuilt utility
    MBR2GPT.EXE.

• Click on Start menu (Windows logo), type
      CMD.
    • Right click on Command prompt and select
      Run as administrator.
    • Type MBR2GPT /validate /AllowFullOS
    • Once the validation is successful, execute the following command and check the results.
    • Type MBR2GPT /Convert /AllowFullOS
    • Once the conversion is successful, you must boot the computer into BIOS and change the BIOS mode to
      UEFI.

Disclaimer: Modifying BIOS/ complementary metal oxide semiconductor (CMOS) settings incorrectly can cause serious problems that may prevent your computer from booting properly.
    Microsoft cannot guarantee that any problems resulting from the configuring of BIOS/CMOS settings can be solved. Modifications of the settings are at your own risk.

For more information about MBR2GPT utility, please refer to the article:
    Convert MBR disk into GPT using MBR2GPT.EXE

Hope it helps.

Thanks,

Peer Samie

Microsoft Community-Moderator

Peer_Sam, Jul 6, 2021
  3. convert MBR to GPT disk

convert mbr to gpt

There is a way to convert mbr to gpt without data loss. clean command deletes all datas inside the disk, so dont use this command

boot with windows dvd , and get into command prompt

type diskpart , find the disk number , which is need to convert mbr to gpt

say disk number is 0

exit diskpart

type below command in command prompt

mbr2gpt /convert /disk:0

wait for some minutes to complete , once you get commpleted successfuly means, exit and close ,

shutdown the pc , remove windows dvd

important

After the disk has been converted to GPT partition style, the firmware must be reconfigured to boot in UEFI mode.

Make sure that your device supports UEFI before attempting to convert the disk.

RAJU.MSC.MATHEMATICS, Jul 6, 2021
  4. Convert MBR to GPT with MBR2GPT

Smittychat., Jul 6, 2021
Thema:

Convert MBR to GPT with MBR2GPT

1. Convert MBR to GPT with MBR2GPT - Similar Threads - Convert MBR GPT

2. Mbr to gpt convert failed

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Mbr to gpt convert failed: Hello I just upgrade my PC from p8z77vlx to ProArt z690 creator and I do convert mbr to gpt for my existing Windows 10 21h2 so I can use uefi bios, the problem is the conversion failed and I can't boot to Windows.Anything I can do to be able to boot and repair the gpt...
  3. Convert MBR to GPT!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Convert MBR to GPT!: Hi my name is Ahmed Malick,Which is the best way to convert MBR to GPT without data loss and without being Windows boot logo stretched. If you don't know what I am talking about, see this thread:...
  4. Convert MBR to GPT!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Convert MBR to GPT!: Hi my name is Ahmed Malick,Which is the best way to convert MBR to GPT without data loss and without being Windows boot logo stretched. If you don't know what I am talking about, see this thread:...
  5. Convert MBR to GPT!

6. Convert GPT to MBR

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Convert GPT to MBR: Hi my name is Ahmed Malick,I want to convert GPT to MBR without data loss. Should I do using AOMEI partition assistant? Is it safe? Will it loss data? Will it damage HDD? Please give answer in detail....
  7. Convert GPT to MBR

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Convert GPT to MBR: Hi my name is Ahmed Malick,I want to convert GPT to MBR without data loss. Should I do using AOMEI partition assistant? Is it safe? Will it loss data? Will it damage HDD? Please give answer in detail....
  8. Convert GPT to MBR

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  9. Convert MBR to GPT with MBR2GPT

in Windows 10 Support
    Convert MBR to GPT with MBR2GPT: In order to be compatibe with Windows 11(?) I must change following settings: Boot type: UEFI Disk partiton: GPT instead of MBR TPM Version: enabled in UEFI the tool MBR2GPT (already on the system as part of the Windows 10 Creators Update) does just that. my disk meets the...
  10. how to convert MBR to GPT?

how to convert MBR to GPT?: hi I have a problem in installing Windows 10 from usb drive. Error is "windows cannot be installed to this disk. the selected disk has MBR partition table. on efi system windows can only installed to GPT disk" I have formatted without aware this issue. I have few...