Windows 10: Convert public network to private

Discus and support Convert public network to private in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Running Windows 10, using router modem provided by the internet service provider. The ISP previously provided a modem which they incorrectly told me... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by MartinRubinstein, Dec 15, 2019.

1. Convert public network to private

Running Windows 10, using router modem provided by the internet service provider. The ISP previously provided a modem which they incorrectly told me was a router modem.

Windows has decided that the computers are on a public network, and I cannot connect computers in the network.

How do I

delete the old network and create a new private network or convert the existing network to private?

Is it possible to create permissions to read files on one computer in the network from another computer in the network without converting to private?

:)

MartinRubinstein, Dec 15, 2019

2. Change Network from Public to Private

Hi,

Thank you for your interest in Windows 10.

I suggest you to follow the steps below to
    change your network from Public to Private:

• Type PowerShell in Search Window and then right click on it and click on
      Run as Administrator.

• Type the following command to find your interface Index:
      Get-NetConnectionProfile

• Use your interface index (for example 5) with this command:
      Set-NetConnectionProfile -InterfaceIndex 5 -NetworkCategory Private

• Now reboot the device and check if the network has changed from Public to Private.
    Hope this information is helpful. Please do let us know if you need further assistance, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Giridhar J, Dec 15, 2019
  3. Stud_1946 Win User
    How to change the network setting (Private, public, etc)

this answer from a different Microsoft page worked for me

Convert public network to private [​IMG]
    Giridhar
    J
    replied on

• Microsoft

Accomplishments

• Microsoft

Hi,

Thank you for your interest in Windows 10.

I suggest you to follow the steps below to
    change your network from Public to Private:

• Type PowerShell in Search Window and then right click on it and click on
      Run as Administrator.

• Type the following command to find your interface Index:
      Get-NetConnectionProfile

• Use your interface index (for example 5) with this command:
      Set-NetConnectionProfile -InterfaceIndex 5 -NetworkCategory Private

• Now reboot the device and check if the network has changed from Public to Private.
    Hope this information is helpful. Please do let us know if you need further assistance, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Stud_1946, Dec 15, 2019
  4. Convert public network to private

Changing Network from Public to Private

To use these steps to set a network to public or private, your PC must be running Windows 10 Version 1709.

To see which version of Windows 10 your device is currently running, select Start, then select Settings > System > About

To change a Wi-Fi network to public or private:

- Select Start, then select Settings > Network & Internet > Wi-Fi

- Select Manage known networks, select the network you want to change, and then > select Properties.

- Under Network profile, select Public or Private.

Taken from:

Make a Wi-Fi network public or private in Windows 10

Gianni1962, Dec 15, 2019
Thema:

Convert public network to private

1. Convert public network to private - Similar Threads - Convert public network

2. Network showing as 'public' not 'private'.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Network showing as 'public' not 'private'.: My private network shows up as 'public' on my new laptop and 'private' on my 1-year old desktop. Both are using Windows 11. How do I get it private on the laptop?...
  3. Network showing as 'public' not 'private'.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Network showing as 'public' not 'private'.: My private network shows up as 'public' on my new laptop and 'private' on my 1-year old desktop. Both are using Windows 11. How do I get it private on the laptop?...
  4. Public or Private network question

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Public or Private network question: OK so in in Windows 10 you can choose whether your computer is on public or private network. I did my homework so I know that Private is recommended for home and it makes your PC discovarable and opens file sharing and public is recommended for public places like coffee shops...
  5. Public or Private network question

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Public or Private network question: OK so in in Windows 10 you can choose whether your computer is on public or private network. I did my homework so I know that Private is recommended for home and it makes your PC discovarable and opens file sharing and public is recommended for public places like coffee shops...
  6. Public or Private network question

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  7. public or private network settings

public or private network settings: windows 10, network created as private to enable sharing of network devices, but the public network takes over when rebooting, how to make the private settings stay primary? aslo the subnet pickups up the wifi factory address as 192.168.7.1 and locks to 255.255.255.0 no...
  8. Public or Private Network

Public or Private Network: Hello, May I ask: Should a home PC user select (from their network properties) the Public or Private Network Option? I don't want my PC to be viewed or discoverable by any neighbors in the WiFi Network. I will not be file sharing. Just simply want security. Thanks...
  9. Private and Public Network Connections

Private and Public Network Connections: Hey everyone, just recently I reset my modem and router and my laptop. I have made sure that my home router is secure yet when I connect to it, if I go to settings it sets me as a public network. This is weird because when I got my laptop and connected, the computer...
  10. Setting public to private networks

Setting public to private networks: I have a VPN for internet traffic which has a virtual adaptor, that is set to private. But the real adaptor is set to a public network and I want to set it to see other devices, therefore I want to change it to private how do I do this in build 1809? Winver says I have win...