Windows 10: convert usb drive format

Discus and support convert usb drive format in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I have a usb drive that was originally fat32 and I converted it to ntfs. I want to convert it back to fat32 and even though I've tried file explorer,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/yihii21, Feb 5, 2021.

1. convert usb drive format

I have a usb drive that was originally fat32 and I converted it to ntfs. I want to convert it back to fat32 and even though I've tried file explorer, command prompt and powershell, nothing works. I want to use it for a macbook with m1, but it doesn't recognise ntfs or exfat through my adaptor but it does my other fat32 drive. The flash drive is Kingston DataTraveler 50 64GB USB 3.1 if that helps.

submitted by /u/yihii21
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/yihii21, Feb 5, 2021
  2. Fernandz Win User

How To Format A Write Protected Flash Memory ?

¿You already tried this one?...

Run CMD

1. diskpart
    2. list disk

Then in the 3º step, put the correct number of disk in the list for the usb flash (if it's listed in disk 3, then you'll have to write select disk 3).

2. select disk #
    3. clean
    4. create partition primary
    5. select partition 1
    6. active
    7. format fs=fat32
    8. assign
    9. exit

with that commands you will format the flash drive in fat32, if you have a large drive you can select also "format fs=ntfs" in step 7.

good luck!

Fernandz, Feb 5, 2021
  3. mikel33 Win User
    USB Flash Drive saying not formatted..?

Hi,

I have a Memorex Poker Chip USB Flash Drive 1GB, and It shows up fine on one PC as "Poker Chip" in explore, and I can transfer files... but on my other PC (the one I'm on now..specs in profile) it's listed only as H: Removable Disk, and when I click on it, it says: "The Device is not formatted, would you like to format it now? (Y/N). Why would it be recognized on one PC, but the not the other? How come the other PC didn't need it formatted? When I click yes to format it, it says: "Windows was unable to complete the format"

I went to the BIOS and USB 2.0 is enabled. And Device Manager does list it as a Memorex Poker Chip..

mikel33, Feb 5, 2021
  4. convert usb drive format

Unable to format USB drive in Windows 10

IF windows are not able to format USB drive then apply these manual steps as follows:
    First open run command box > Now, write diskpart and hit enter > Once
    Diskpart is open > Now writing the commands, one by one.
    Command 1: List disk
    [Now, it will list Disk 0 and Disk 1 in your PC. Clearly Disk 0 is your hard disk and Disk 1 is the USB flash drive.]
    Now, write the commands given below One by One.
    Command 2: Select disk
    Command 3: clean
    Command 4: create partition primary
    Command 5: active
    Command 6: select partition 1
    Command 7: format fs=fat32
    [In the above command fat32 is chosen as a file system, if you want to choose NTFS, you can choose that as well.]
    It will take time. Do not close the window before it's completed.
    This manual steps may help you to format the drive. Thanks

SandraMcgray, Feb 5, 2021
Thema:

convert usb drive format

1. convert usb drive format - Similar Threads - convert usb drive

2. Converting or formatting a USB flash drive to fat32

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Converting or formatting a USB flash drive to fat32: I either need to reformat or convert a flash drive to fat32. I have read numerous articles and most say go to accessories-system tools-disk converter but there is no disk converter is system tools. I also read an article that says to go to a command prompt and type format X:...
  3. Converting or formatting a USB flash drive to fat32

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Converting or formatting a USB flash drive to fat32: I either need to reformat or convert a flash drive to fat32. I have read numerous articles and most say go to accessories-system tools-disk converter but there is no disk converter is system tools. I also read an article that says to go to a command prompt and type format X:...
  4. Converting or formatting a USB flash drive to fat32

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Converting USB drive file format on windows 10

Converting USB drive file format on windows 10: I have recently had to reinstall windows on my PC and after inserting the drive with the media creation tool I had to convert my HDD file format to MBR through the cmd Diskpart in the installation interface. But I also accidentally converted my USB to MBR and couldn't install...
  6. Converting USB drive file format on windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Converting USB drive file format on windows 10: I have recently had to reinstall windows on my PC and after inserting the drive with the media creation tool I had to convert my HDD file format to MBR through the cmd Diskpart in the installation interface. But I also accidentally converted my USB to MBR and couldn't install...
  7. Converting USB drive file format on windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Formatted USB Drive

Formatted USB Drive: I accidentally formatted a pen drive and was wondering is there any way that I can recover data & files? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/formatted-usb-drive/9646d9c8-a251-44d1-8b1a-4b4132c5e0c1"
  9. Formating USB drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Formating USB drive: How can I format a USB memory to 2048 Byte size. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/formating-usb-drive/cb81e9aa-877a-4513-a175-81afae642744
  10. Is it safe to convert USB Drive format from FAT32 to NTFS

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Is it safe to convert USB Drive format from FAT32 to NTFS: Is it safe to convert USB Drive format from FAT32 to NTFS. Hi tried to transfer a 4.33 GB File to USB Stick,14.5 GB Free Space, message popped up . File To Large - ....... Is Too Large For This For The Destination File System. will It still play ok on my built in Tv Media...