Windows 10: Convert VMWare VM to Hyper-V

Discus and support Convert VMWare VM to Hyper-V in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; Hi folks am testing this little thing I saw on the Internet about converting a VM created with VMware to HYPER-V For anybody trying this too -- do... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by jimbo45, Sep 5, 2018.

1. jimbo45 Win User

Convert VMWare VM to Hyper-V

Hi folks

am testing this little thing I saw on the Internet about converting a VM created with VMware to HYPER-V

For anybody trying this too -- do back up your existing VM if you think you'll need it or if the conversion process fails,

How to Convert Vmware Virtual Machine to HYPER-V | Askme4Tech

I'll mark this post as solved after I've tried it.

You could also use the free starwind V2V converter -- GUI based for people who don't like command line -- choose ist vmdk file and let it do it's business.

Note although free you have to fill in a registration and they will send you a link -- seems OK company so you might be happier with that.

Microsofts own converter rather stupidly requires you to have Esxi or Vsphere - stupid really as individuals won't have these usually.

If converting a Windows VM uninstall VMware tools first.

I'm satisfied now for CENTOS VM on HYPER-V is stable enough -- I don't need sound on the VM or even a Linux GUI but while testing it's easier to mess around with a GUI on the VM.

Quite satisfied with performance of the VM on HYPER-V and by installing XRDP on the VM there's no problem accessing it on "Non hosted" machines on my LAN via RDP.

The starwind takes a bit of time - have breakfast or take the walk for a dog etc etc.

cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Sep 5, 2018
  2. Schism082 Win User

No Internet in Hyper-V VM's

Hi, I have Windows 10 Enterprise and just added Hyper-V. I had 3 VM's on VMware Player and deleted and uninstalled Player. I have 3 Vm's on Hyper-V. My problem is I get no Internet on my Vm's. I am new to Hyper-V and would like to know how to connect these
    to the internet. I have "Virtual switch (automatic)" selected. They show no connections available in the VM's. How do I connect to the internet? (I'm on wifi.) I'm attaching a screenshot. Thanks

Convert VMWare VM to Hyper-V a5a649f6-ec4d-4915-ad8b-d1e2d2a5cafa.png

Schism082, Sep 5, 2018
  3. BulldogXX Win User
    Hyper V

Hyper-V is either installed or not installed. It cannot be disabled.

After I was done experimenting with Hyper-V I deleted my VM and uninstalled Hyper-V. Poof, gone.

Hyper-V worked fine for me, but I still prefer VMWare. Hyper-V works best with Ethernet; it's trickier with WiFi.

BulldogXX, Sep 5, 2018
  4. SarahKong Win User

Unassign Hyper V VM with deleted User account

Hyper V is not assigned based on user accounts.

Hyper V is a server feature that allows you to create VMs but they are not assigned to users.

Can you post a screenshot of what you are referring to?

And then share on a cloud drive and post link here for me to look at?

Also what are the steps you are doing to "assign" the VM to another User?

SarahKong, Sep 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Convert VMWare VM to Hyper-V - Similar Threads - Convert VMWare Hyper

2. Hyper-V VM can't ping another Hyper-V VM

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hyper-V VM can't ping another Hyper-V VM: Hello all,I've been working on a lab network attempting to perform a test live migration. Here is my current setup:Host 1: STAN- VM COSTELLOHost 2: OLLIE Joined to the Domain- VM ABBOTT Current Domain Controller DNS ServerI have set static IP addresses for all of these...
  3. VM performance - VMware Vs HYPER-V

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    VM performance - VMware Vs HYPER-V: Hi folks would be interesting to compare performance of a VM running under VMWare (workstation / player), Virtual Box or HYPER-V. Using a W7 VM (with latest updates applied) I got a reasonable performance spec on an 8GB HP envy laptop -- I chose W7 as the built in...
  4. Hyper-V VM

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Hyper-V VM: With the Hyper-V session running on my local machine. Am I allowed to create a VM using the DVD I used on the machine? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hyper-v-vm/2b8f2e09-28ab-4e98-bba3-f835ac67d542"
  5. Suspend and Resume VM much slower on HYPER-V than vmware

Suspend and Resume VM much slower on HYPER-V than vmware: Hi there particularly @Kari - you seem to be the resident expert on HYPER-V !!!! I have two reasonably identical VM's (Linux CENTOS 7 basically runnng SAMBA, PLEX media server, logitech media server and sharing some files). The shared files are on 2 logical RAID 0...
  6. Exporting VM with hyper-v

Exporting VM with hyper-v: When you export a VM with Hyper-v, does the exported VM retain the same hardware identifier as the original? I know with VMware, when you open up a backed up VM, you select "I moved it" to retain hardware identifier, and "I copied it" if you want a new identifier. Is it...
  7. VMware with only Hyper-V Manager

VMware with only Hyper-V Manager: When you have Hyper-V fully installed on a Windows 10 machine, a Standard User can only access Hyper-V via a server connection. This gave me an idea. I was wondering if you could install only Hyper-V Management Tools on the host system and still be able to run VMware. In...
  8. HYPER-V with second level VM running on vmware workstation

HYPER-V with second level VM running on vmware workstation: Hi there just thought I'd do a Bonkers experiment - works and isn't too slow (but use SSD !!!). Host W10 X-64 PRO with HYPER-V VM1 (ist level VM - 2nd level machine) Linux CENTOS 7 with latest kernel (4.7) VM2 --installed VMware workstation on the Linux machine...
  9. VMWare VM in Hpyer V

VMWare VM in Hpyer V: HI Folks, Here is one of those really silly questions. . .*Smile,can you use a VM created with VMWare with Hyper V. Just wondering since MS doesn't want Hyper V and VMWare working together on the same OS. . .bummer. . .*Tongue 43374
  10. Hyper V or VMWare?

Hyper V or VMWare?: While not an expert, I am fairly familiar with VMWare. I know very little about Hyper V, but have watched @Kari videos about it. I know VMWare is easier to set up and there are some features easier to use in VMWare. What I am asking is what are the advantages/disadvantages...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. convert vmware to hyper-v windows 10

2. convert vmware to hyper-v 2018

3. convert vmware to hyper-v

4. export vmware workstation to hyper-v