Windows 10: Convert Windows 10 account to local and keep all settings and data

Discus and support Convert Windows 10 account to local and keep all settings and data in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; HiJust bought a new laptop and spent a day configuring everything and restoring data from backups etc to find that I need to be connected to the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Chris75k_751, May 17, 2022.

1. Convert Windows 10 account to local and keep all settings and data

HiJust bought a new laptop and spent a day configuring everything and restoring data from backups etc to find that I need to be connected to the Internet to sign in… this appears to be because somehow I now have a Microsoft account… obviously missed a setting somewhere that didn’t explain during setup… the issue is the laptop is used away from home and office and at times no Internet available… could you please help me with information on how to change this to a local account whilst keeping my settings and data?Many thanks in advance.

:)

Chris75k_751, May 17, 2022

2. Local account converted to Microsoft account?

Hi,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft Community. We will assist you in resolving the issue.

Follow the steps below to convert to local account, follow the steps below and check if the issue is resolved.

• Sign in to your Microsoft account on Windows 10.
    • Press Windows logo key on the keyboard, type Settings and select the top most search result.
    • Click Accounts and under Your emails and accounts
      click on sign in with a local account instead option.
    • Enter your Microsoft account's password and click on Next.
    • Type in a Password, and
      Password Hint
      that you want set for your local account and click
      Next
      . Click on Sign out and Finish button.

If you want to switch back to Microsoft account, follow the steps below:

• On the newly converted Local account, press Windows logo key on the keyboard, type
      Settings and select the top most search result.
    • Click Accounts and under Your emails and accounts click on
      sign in with a microsoft account instead option.
    • Enter the Microsoft account ID and Password and click Sign in.
    • Follow the on-screen instructions and check if the changes are effective.

Write back to us with the status of the issue on the same post for further assistance. Your reply is most important for us to ensure we assist you accordingly.

Thank you.

Likhitha V, May 17, 2022
  3. Darshan J Win User
    Windows 10 - Trying to convert local to Microsoft account - getting "account already exists" error

Hello James,

To convert local account to Microsoft account follow the steps below.

• Logout from your existing Microsoft account, login using local account.
    • Make sure your connected to internet.
    • click Start and then Settings.
    • Click Accounts and click on Sign in with a Microsoft account instead.
    • Follow onscreen instructions.
    [*]This will help you to convert local account to Microsoft account.
    [*]Get back to us if you are still unable to convert the account so we can further troubleshoot the issue.
    [*]

Darshan J, May 17, 2022
  4. Kari Win User

Convert Windows 10 account to local and keep all settings and data

Convert online Microsoft Azure account to local account?

Unfortunately, you cannot switch an Azure AD account to a local or Microsoft account. You need to create a new user account first, make it an admin account, then disconnect from your organizational account, restart and sign in to new local account.

All software remains installed and intact but all user specific customizations and settings are lost, new local user starting from scratch with default settings.

The whole process step by step:

1.) Copy your personal data (documents, images etc.) from current Azure AD user profile folder to respective folders in C:\Users\Public

2.) In Settings > Accounts > Other people, add a new local user (see Option One in this tutorial) and change it's account type to Administrator (tutorial)

3.) Check that everything is correct, that you will see your Azure AD account under Work or school users (yellow highlight), and your new local admin account under Other people (blue highlight):

Convert Windows 10 account to local and keep all settings and data [​IMG]

4.) Select Access work or school on left pane, select the connected Azure AD domain, click Disconnect:

5.) Click Yes:

6.) Click Disconnect:

7.) Enter the username and password for your new local admin account, click OK:

8.) Click Restart now:

9.) When back on desktop with your new local admin account, move personal data from Public folder and its subfolders you backed up in step 1 above to respective subfolders on new user profile folder. If the old Azure AD user profile folder is still present in Users folder, it can be deleted now.

That's it.

Thema:

Convert Windows 10 account to local and keep all settings and data

1. Convert Windows 10 account to local and keep all settings and data - Similar Threads - Convert account local

2. Convert Windows 10 account to local and keep all settings and data

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Convert Windows 10 account to local and keep all settings and data: HiJust bought a new laptop and spent a day configuring everything and restoring data from backups etc to find that I need to be connected to the Internet to sign in… this appears to be because somehow I now have a Microsoft account… obviously missed a setting somewhere that...
  3. Convert Windows 10 account to local and keep all settings and data

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Convert Windows 10 account to local and keep all settings and data: HiJust bought a new laptop and spent a day configuring everything and restoring data from backups etc to find that I need to be connected to the Internet to sign in… this appears to be because somehow I now have a Microsoft account… obviously missed a setting somewhere that...
  4. Secondary Accounts on Windows 10 converting to Local Accounts

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Secondary Accounts on Windows 10 converting to Local Accounts: Have 2 child accounts on Windows 10 installation as Microsoft accounts.Cannot convert them to Local accounts using standard method Settings -> Accounts -> "sign in with local account Instead".How do I convert these Microsoft accounts to local accounts without losing all their...
  5. Secondary Accounts on Windows 10 converting to Local Accounts

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Secondary Accounts on Windows 10 converting to Local Accounts: Have 2 child accounts on Windows 10 installation as Microsoft accounts.Cannot convert them to Local accounts using standard method Settings -> Accounts -> "sign in with local account Instead".How do I convert these Microsoft accounts to local accounts without losing all their...
  6. Secondary Accounts on Windows 10 converting to Local Accounts

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Convert local account to microsoft account

Convert local account to microsoft account: When I installed windows I couldn't get online, so I created a local account. Now that I am online, I want to convert it into my Microsoft account but there is no option in account settings to switch to or from a local account, which is what every since guide is telling me I...
  8. Convert local account to microsoft account

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Convert local account to microsoft account: When I installed windows I couldn't get online, so I created a local account. Now that I am online, I want to convert it into my Microsoft account but there is no option in account settings to switch to or from a local account, which is what every since guide is telling me I...
  9. Would converting microsoft account to local account will it keep files?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Would converting microsoft account to local account will it keep files?: Would converting microsoft account to local account will it keep files? submitted by /u/StillPut7 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/i9ziju/would_converting_microsoft_account_to_local/
  10. Convert Local Windows Account to Microsoft Account

Convert Local Windows Account to Microsoft Account: I recently converted an old Windows account to a local account with the intent to convert it to another account I currently use. The first conversion worked well, but when I tried to switch to the new account I'm hitting a roadblock. I may have inadvertently added the...