Windows 10: Converted disk successfully from Legacy to UEFI & T470 won't boot

Discus and support Converted disk successfully from Legacy to UEFI & T470 won't boot in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi everybody, thanks for reading... I have a T470 that I ran the "MBR2GPT.exe /convert /allowfullos" command on and received the message: "Before the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by jonkeo, Jun 17, 2021.

1. jonkeo Win User

Converted disk successfully from Legacy to UEFI & T470 won't boot

Hi everybody, thanks for reading... I have a T470 that I ran the "MBR2GPT.exe /convert /allowfullos" command on and received the message: "Before the new system can boot properly you need to switch the firmware to boot to UEFI mode!" I've been in the bios and made sure the boot mode was set to "UEFI only" and turned off all CSM features. When Windows 10 boots it gets only a spinning wheel and it never boots. I have tried Start Up Repair but that would not work. Are there any common solutions I may be missing? I assume the data it still recoverable if I slave the drive. Thanks! Jonathan

:)

jonkeo, Jun 17, 2021
  2. HY0365 Win User

Legacy to UEFI boot

Hi Guys,

Is it possible to perform a disk partition and firmware boot to UEFI through cmd or powershell without rebooting the device and manually changing the info at the BIOS? I should say that I am attempting to do this remotely with no physical access to the device.
    It is a Dell laptop which I am attempting this on.

So far I have this (cmd):

mbr2gpt /convert /allowfullOS

shutdown /r /fw

It converts to GPT successfully then I get the following error message when attempting to boot through UEFI:

"boot to firmware ui is not supported by this systems firmware"

Any help is much appreciated Converted disk successfully from Legacy to UEFI & T470 won't boot :)

HY0365, Jun 17, 2021
  3. Notebook boots in Legacy not UEFI

Hi HannanShaikh,

You can convert your Legacy mode drive to UEFI boot anytime, visit this link:
    Windows Setup: Installing using the MBR or GPT partition style
    for a comprehensive guide to reformat your hard disk to boot it to a UEFI mode.

The option to "Boot the PC to the DVD or USB key in UEFI mode" is also provided there.

Make sure that you use the same USB drive which already matched the edition of Windows 10 for your computer.

If you continue to have this issue even after performing the above steps, please reply to this thread. The system will notify me so I can get back to you and provide you more answers.

Johann Eva, Jun 17, 2021
  4. Brink Win User

Convert Windows 10 from Legacy BIOS to UEFI without Data Loss  

Here it is:

Brink, Jun 17, 2021
Thema:

1. Converted disk successfully from Legacy to UEFI & T470 won't boot - Similar Threads - Converted disk successfully

2. Cannot switch to UEFI from Legacy boot

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Cannot switch to UEFI from Legacy boot: I have an Acer Aspire E5-575G and was using the new PC Health Check application by Microsoft which has the new option to check if my computer is compatible for Windows 11. It's not, and it mentions the problem is that Secure Boot is not enabled.When I try to switch in BIOS...
  3. Legacy or uefi boot?

Legacy or uefi boot?: I tried reinstalling windows again onto my hdd because i moved my linux distro from that hdd onto my main ssd. the ssd booted originally i belive with legacy mode, but with the hdd bootting with the new installi gets stuck in "getting ready" I believe the bios used to be...
  4. Legacy or uefi boot?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Legacy or uefi boot?: I tried reinstalling windows again onto my hdd because i moved my linux distro from that hdd onto my main ssd. the ssd booted originally i belive with legacy mode, but with the hdd bootting with the new installi gets stuck in "getting ready" I believe the bios used to be...
  5. Switching from Legacy to UEFI

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Switching from Legacy to UEFI: I have been thinking of converting from Legacy to UEFI (Ryzen 2600 - AsRock B450 Pro4) My questions are: Is it as easy and as safe as it looks in those youtube videos? Like literally just typing mbr2gpt.exe /convert /allowfullOS in cmd prompt with admin privileges, then...
  6. Convert UEFI to Legacy for Windows 7 installation

Convert UEFI to Legacy for Windows 7 installation: I have Ideapad 330s with Windows 10 64-bit pre-installed out of box in UEFI mode and GPT partition style . i tried to boot Windows 7 64 bit GPT style via Bootable USB but it shows an error0x000000d : an error occurred while attempting to read the boot configuration data ....
  7. UEFI versus Legacy Boot

UEFI versus Legacy Boot: I just purchased a refurbished PC that I an very happy with but I would like to know how to have this PC use the Legacy Boot rather than the UEFI. Is this a realistic possibility? I would like to multi-boot Windows 10 Pro with Ubuntu 18.04. It looks as if it is a simple...
  8. Convert Mid-2011 iMac from UEFI to Legacy BIOS.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Convert Mid-2011 iMac from UEFI to Legacy BIOS.: Hello! I have a mid-2011 iMac with which I am dual booting windows 10 and macOS high sierra. Since it is not compatible with bootcamp, I made a bootable usb drive and used that instead. This all worked very well except for that Windows does not recognize my sound card. I...
  9. Is it possible to convert a 500 GB hard disk MBR to a GPT to switch from Legacy to UEFI...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Is it possible to convert a 500 GB hard disk MBR to a GPT to switch from Legacy to UEFI...: I'm trying to convert these MBR partitions on this hard disk available to GPT without Data Loss but failing the MBR2GPT validation to begin with. Windows Disk management Status : [ATTACH] Diskpart and MBR2GPT Validation Status: [ATTACH] Is the hard disk space not...
  10. Notebook boots in Legacy not UEFI

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Notebook boots in Legacy not UEFI: HI, I have been problem in My Notebook pavilion AB-029TX , So i decided to clean install windows. I downloaded Media Creation and created ISO then using rufus I created bootable USB, Here Something happened I inserted USB then in BIOS menu it wasn't showing us so I changed...