Windows 10: converted my internal hdd to external but unable to use the windows partition now

Discus and support converted my internal hdd to external but unable to use the windows partition now in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I switched my laptops hdd to ssd and converted the HDD to external hard drive but was unable to get rid of the partitions and windows installed on it.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Prabuddh Singh, Feb 28, 2024.

1. converted my internal hdd to external but unable to use the windows partition now

I switched my laptops hdd to ssd and converted the HDD to external hard drive but was unable to get rid of the partitions and windows installed on it. Initially it used to work but it was kinda slow. But now the partition containing windows doesn't open up and other drives also work damn slow. To the best of my understanding I think the old system files and drivers in external hdd start interacting with the system making it unusable. How to sort this?

:)

Prabuddh Singh, Feb 28, 2024

2. External HDD or Internal HDD?

I'm contemplating whether or not if I should purchase a external hard drive for saving all of my work, music, photo's backup etc, instead of saving it on my pc hd. Now the problem is external hdd vs internal hdd's longevity, hardware differences, file corruption typically on external hdd's or flash drives. Is it a mistake saving personal stuff separate from the pc or are ex hdd as good as internal? I've had experiences loosing my stuff because of viruses, hdd failure and lack of prior experience not partitioning my hdd *Smile converted my internal hdd to external but unable to use the windows partition now :)

omiknight52, Feb 28, 2024
  3. Accidentally Converted External Hard Drive to "ESD-USB"

I can help you:

1. Press Windows Key+R

2. Type 'cmd'

3. type 'diskpart'

4. type 'list disk'

5. find your external HDD in the list

6. type 'select disk (what ever the disk number is for the external HDD)

7. type clean

8. open Disk Management

9. right click the external HDD

10. click 'New Partition'

11. Complete the steps

BenjyP9250, Feb 28, 2024
  4. converted my internal hdd to external but unable to use the windows partition now

internal to external HDD not recognized

Since you're using a converter to connect your HDD to your laptop, we suggest contacting the device manufacturer of either the converter or the laptop to get proper assistance on connecting the HDD using a converter.

Our support is limited since the issue involves hardware issues.

Get back to us with the outcome so we can help you out further.

Martin Bar, Feb 28, 2024
Thema:

converted my internal hdd to external but unable to use the windows partition now

1. converted my internal hdd to external but unable to use the windows partition now - Similar Threads - converted internal hdd

2. converted my internal hdd to external but unable to use the windows partition now

in Windows 10 Gaming
    converted my internal hdd to external but unable to use the windows partition now: I switched my laptops hdd to ssd and converted the HDD to external hard drive but was unable to get rid of the partitions and windows installed on it. Initially it used to work but it was kinda slow. But now the partition containing windows doesn't open up and other drives...
  3. External disk converted back to internal

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    External disk converted back to internal: Running Windows 10New computerIn my prior PC, I had a E: Drive as an internal drive.While setting up my new PC, I temporarily used the HD as an external USB drive.To my recollection, no changes were made to the disk.When I installed the HD as an internal drive today, it is...
  4. External disk converted back to internal

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External disk converted back to internal: Running Windows 10New computerIn my prior PC, I had a E: Drive as an internal drive.While setting up my new PC, I temporarily used the HD as an external USB drive.To my recollection, no changes were made to the disk.When I installed the HD as an internal drive today, it is...
  5. External disk converted back to internal

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. Formatting/partitioning an external HDD

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Formatting/partitioning an external HDD: HiI have a USB 3TByte HDD that is somewhat older. DIsk Management 'Datenträgerverwaltung displays it as two different drives #7 and 8. I wonder how to merge these into one single drive. I tried everthing using Disk Management, but I get an error message, see screenshots....
  7. Formatting/partitioning an external HDD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Formatting/partitioning an external HDD: HiI have a USB 3TByte HDD that is somewhat older. DIsk Management 'Datenträgerverwaltung displays it as two different drives #7 and 8. I wonder how to merge these into one single drive. I tried everthing using Disk Management, but I get an error message, see screenshots....
  8. Internal HDD unable to initialized

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Internal HDD unable to initialized: It seems that one of my RAM was faulty and when it couldn't access one of my HDD. Afterwards I decided to shut down and take the RAM out and now that HDD is faulty. It doesn't appear on This PC anymore but it does appear on Disk Management. In the Disk Management it is listed...
  9. My External hdd is converted to ext3-ext4

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    My External hdd is converted to ext3-ext4: Hi hope this is the right place and someone can help. I had to convert my external hdd to ext3 ext4 in order to use with a zgemma box but I now want my hdd back to normal by formating it but my PC doesn't recognise it I done a long search on Google but no joy so I would...
  10. How to convert an internal drive to external?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    How to convert an internal drive to external?: I will be removing a Dell's OEM mechanical HD and installing an SSD then installing Windows 10 clean. Although the mechanical HD is a dog I'm thinking that it would serve just fine as a USB/Macrium Reflect destination for this laptop. Is it possible to buy a 'box' that...