Windows 10: Converting a hard drive from GPT to MBR.

Discus and support Converting a hard drive from GPT to MBR. in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I want to convert my GPT hard drive to mbr. I'm using a bootable USB ISO. Just one OS (Windows 10 - 20H2). I have followed these instructions and they... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Bat Boy 42, May 4, 2021 at 8:57 AM.

1. Converting a hard drive from GPT to MBR.

I want to convert my GPT hard drive to mbr. I'm using a bootable USB ISO. Just one OS (Windows 10 - 20H2). I have followed these instructions and they seem to have worked (when I reopen the command prompt the mark under gpt disappears). Problem is once Windows install and I look using the command prompt it shows the hard drive as gpt once again. Is it possible that the conversion to mbr does happens but once Windows starts installing it switches back to gpt by default?

:)

2. Megahertz Win User

Converting a hard drive from GPT to MBR.

Managing disk partitions is a risky task. Make sure you have all your data backed up.

What do you want to do:
    - Convert a data drive from GPT to MBR?
    - Convert a boot able drive from GPT to MBR?
    - Do a clean install using a win 10 installation drive and convert the drive from GPT to MBR?

If it is a data drive you can convert from GPT to MBR.
    Diskpart commands will clean up the drive. To convert without loosing data you must use a program like Mini Toll partition wizard .

But if the drive is a boot able drive, you can't just convert from UEFI - GPT to Legacy - MBR. You have to make sure your BIOS can use Legacy boot drive.
    You have to boot from an external drive (like WinPE), launch Mini Toll partition wizard, convert from GPT to MBR and rebuild bcdboot.

diskpart
    list volume (take note of windows partition letter)
    select volume x (replace x with the windows partition letter)
    active
    exit
    bcdboot C:\Windows /s C: /f BIOS
    exit

3. Smittychat., May 4, 2021 at 7:15 PM
  4. Converting a hard drive from GPT to MBR.

Cannot convert GPT to MBR.

Hi Michael,

I suggest you to follow the below steps and check if it helps.

This method you have to backup all your data and delete all partitions and volumes. Then use the
    DISKPART command.

• Open command prompt and type in DISKPART and press Enter
    • Then type in list disk (Note down the number of disk you want to convert to GPT)
    • Then type in select disk number of disk
    • Finally type in convert gpt.
    Hope the information helps. Do reply if you need further assistance.

Anup Karkal, May 4, 2021 at 7:15 PM
Thema:

Converting a hard drive from GPT to MBR.

1. Converting a hard drive from GPT to MBR. - Similar Threads - Converting hard drive

2. Problems after convert MBR to GPT

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Problems after convert MBR to GPT: I was having issues with BSOD while playing games and was recommend to either reset or fresh install. I have a M.2 WD black as my system disk partitioned with one other partition. I have a 500 gig WD blue 2 partitions one for backup\programs and other as downloads and another...
  3. changing a disk drive from mbr to gpt

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    changing a disk drive from mbr to gpt: If you have Windows 10 loaded on an MBR disk drive can that drive be changed to a GPT disk drive? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/changing-a-disk-drive-from-mbr-to-gpt/f52734b1-dc31-4705-9cdb-982cc13c9662
  4. Convert only one disk from MBR to GPT

Convert only one disk from MBR to GPT: I have one SSD and other normal HDD. On SSD, i installed window 10 and on HDD normal data. Both are MBR partition. So my question is can i re-install new window 10 using GPT partition on SSD without interrupting other hard-drive....
  5. convert MBR to GPT disk

convert MBR to GPT disk: DISKPART> list disk Disk ### Status Size Free Dyn Gpt -------- ------------- ------- ------- --- --- Disk 0 Online 465 GB 0 B Disk 1 Online 7633 MB 0 B DISKPART> list disk Disk ### Status Size...
  6. Convert 1.5TB disk from MBR to GPT

Convert 1.5TB disk from MBR to GPT: I want to convert a 1.5TB MBR disk to a GPT disk. My other two disks are GPT so I'd like them all to be. No special reason, just because. When I tried mbr2gpt /validate /disk:2 I get ERROR: MBR2GPT can only be used from the Windows Preinstallation Environment. Use...
  7. Converting W10 System Disk from MBR to GPt

Converting W10 System Disk from MBR to GPt: For some reason my W10 System Disk (SSD) is set up as an MBR Disk. My separate Data disk (HDD) is GPT. I know how to convert the System Disk to GPT using Minitools Partition Wizard. If I do that to the SSD will I loose the W10 installation? And is there any advantage to doing...
  8. Converting MBR to GPT for EFI boot?

Converting MBR to GPT for EFI boot?: I've just recently re-installed Windows on my laptop. I had the hard drive set to a GPT format disk since my system supports and previously used UEFI boot, but this install wouldn't allow it so I just went to MBR again.. Is there a way to convert the currently MBR type...
  9. Diskpart question-convert from GPT to MBR on a flash drive

Diskpart question-convert from GPT to MBR on a flash drive: Hi, I have a bootable Windows 10 USB flash drive that was created using Rufus so it has GPT partition table for UEFI setup. I want to put it back to MBR partition style using Diskpart. In diskpart if I select the disk and then use the clean command does the disk go back to...
  10. how to convert MBR to GPT?

how to convert MBR to GPT?: hi I have a problem in installing Windows 10 from usb drive. Error is "windows cannot be installed to this disk. the selected disk has MBR partition table. on efi system windows can only installed to GPT disk" I have formatted without aware this issue. I have few...