Windows 10: Converting a hard drive from GPT to MBR.

Discus and support Converting a hard drive from GPT to MBR. in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I want to convert my GPT hard drive to mbr. I'm using a bootable USB ISO. Just one OS (Windows 10 - 20H2). I have followed these instructions and they... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Bat Boy 42, May 4, 2021.

1. Converting a hard drive from GPT to MBR.

I want to convert my GPT hard drive to mbr. I'm using a bootable USB ISO. Just one OS (Windows 10 - 20H2). I have followed these instructions and they seem to have worked (when I reopen the command prompt the mark under gpt disappears). Problem is once Windows install and I look using the command prompt it shows the hard drive as gpt once again. Is it possible that the conversion to mbr does happens but once Windows starts installing it switches back to gpt by default?

:)

Bat Boy 42, May 4, 2021
  2. Megahertz Win User

Converting a hard drive from GPT to MBR.

Managing disk partitions is a risky task. Make sure you have all your data backed up.

What do you want to do:
    - Convert a data drive from GPT to MBR?
    - Convert a boot able drive from GPT to MBR?
    - Do a clean install using a win 10 installation drive and convert the drive from GPT to MBR?

If it is a data drive you can convert from GPT to MBR.
    Diskpart commands will clean up the drive. To convert without loosing data you must use a program like Mini Toll partition wizard .

But if the drive is a boot able drive, you can't just convert from UEFI - GPT to Legacy - MBR. You have to make sure your BIOS can use Legacy boot drive.
    You have to boot from an external drive (like WinPE), launch Mini Toll partition wizard, convert from GPT to MBR and rebuild bcdboot.

diskpart
    list volume (take note of windows partition letter)
    select volume x (replace x with the windows partition letter)
    active
    exit
    bcdboot C:\Windows /s C: /f BIOS
    exit

Megahertz, May 4, 2021
  3. Smittychat., May 4, 2021
  4. Converting a hard drive from GPT to MBR.

Cannot convert GPT to MBR.

Hi Michael,

I suggest you to follow the below steps and check if it helps.

This method you have to backup all your data and delete all partitions and volumes. Then use the
    DISKPART command.

• Open command prompt and type in DISKPART and press Enter
    • Then type in list disk (Note down the number of disk you want to convert to GPT)
    • Then type in select disk number of disk
    • Finally type in convert gpt.
    Hope the information helps. Do reply if you need further assistance.

Anup Karkal, May 4, 2021
Thema:

Converting a hard drive from GPT to MBR.

1. Converting a hard drive from GPT to MBR. - Similar Threads - Converting hard drive

2. how to convert drive from mbr to gpt

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how to convert drive from mbr to gpt: how to convert drive from mbr to gpt https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-convert-drive-from-mbr-to-gpt/f581c706-6111-47b8-ac9d-41dff4277bcd
  3. how to convert drive from mbr to gpt

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    how to convert drive from mbr to gpt: how to convert drive from mbr to gpt https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-convert-drive-from-mbr-to-gpt/f581c706-6111-47b8-ac9d-41dff4277bcd
  4. how to convert drive from mbr to gpt

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Trying to convert my Hard Drive from MBR to GPT

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Trying to convert my Hard Drive from MBR to GPT: Hello, I tried to repair Windows 10 Pro because my original windows installation got corrupted and won't boot for some reason. I tried to repair my Windows Installation but it can't. My only option is to reinstall, but an error popped up and it said "Windows cannot be...
  6. Trying to convert my Hard Drive from MBR to GPT

Trying to convert my Hard Drive from MBR to GPT: Hello, I tried to repair Windows 10 Pro because my original windows installation got corrupted and won't boot for some reason. I tried to repair my Windows Installation but it can't. My only option is to reinstall, but an error popped up and it said "Windows cannot be...
  7. Trying to convert my Hard Drive from MBR to GPT

8. Convert MBR to GPT!

Convert MBR to GPT!: Hi my name is Ahmed Malick,Which is the best way to convert MBR to GPT without data loss and without being Windows boot logo stretched. If you don't know what I am talking about, see this thread:...
  9. Convert GPT to MBR

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Convert GPT to MBR: Hi my name is Ahmed Malick,I want to convert GPT to MBR without data loss. Should I do using AOMEI partition assistant? Is it safe? Will it loss data? Will it damage HDD? Please give answer in detail....
  10. Convert GPT to MBR

Convert GPT to MBR: Hi my name is Ahmed Malick,I want to convert GPT to MBR without data loss. Should I do using AOMEI partition assistant? Is it safe? Will it loss data? Will it damage HDD? Please give answer in detail....