Windows 10: Converting a RAW drive back to ntfs

Discus and support Converting a RAW drive back to ntfs in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have an external USB drive which has changed to a RAW drive from an NTFS drive, so Windows cannot access the drive. I have tried suggestions made on... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by michaelbickley, Oct 6, 2018.

1. Converting a RAW drive back to ntfs

I have an external USB drive which has changed to a RAW drive from an NTFS drive, so Windows cannot access the drive. I have tried suggestions made on the Community website, so far non have worked, due to the fact I thing that the suggestions made are not up to date as far as Windows 10 is concerned.

My Windows 10 is up to date, (October 2018).

Could yo please suggests something that works for the current version of Windows 10?

:)

michaelbickley, Oct 6, 2018
  2. tf2029 Win User

How to convert RAW partition to NTFS partition.

Thanks for your reply. Apparently the convert drive to NTFS doesn't work when the drive is RAW. After following your instructions in step 2 I get message "convert is not available for RAW drives.

Any suggestions?

tf2029, Oct 6, 2018
  3. How to convert RAW partition to NTFS partition.

Hi,

Welcome to Microsoft Community and thank you for your interest in Windows 10.

I understand the inconvenience that you are experiencing. I will definitely assist you.

Please try the below steps to convert the RAW partition to NTFS partition.

• Press Windows key + X and click on
      Command Prompt (Admin).

• At the command prompt, type convert drive_letter: /fs:ntfs, where drive_letter is the letter of the drive you want to convert, and then press Enter. For example,
      convert E: /fs:ntfs would convert drive E to the NTFS format.

• Type the name of the volume you want to convert, and then press Enter. You must use the existing name of the volume or the conversion will be canceled. You can view all available volumes in the
      Computer folder under Hard Disk Drives
    Notes: After you convert a partition to NTFS, you cannot convert it back. If you want to use the FAT file system on the partition again, you will need to reformat the partition, which erases all data on it.

Although the chance of corruption or data loss during a conversion is minimal, you should back up all data on the partition before you begin.

Hope this helps. Post us with status we will be glad to help you.

Billion Debbarma, Oct 6, 2018
  4. LMiller7 Win User

Converting a RAW drive back to ntfs

Converting RAW external HDD to NTFS?

The "convert" command will only convert a FAT 16 or FAT 32 partition to NTFS. RAW isn't a real file system, just the name Windows assigns when the actual file system cannot be determined. If this is due to a physical problem with the drive it will have to be replaced. Otherwise repartitioning should work.

LMiller7, Oct 6, 2018
Thema:

Converting a RAW drive back to ntfs

1. Converting a RAW drive back to ntfs - Similar Threads - Converting RAW drive

2. Can't format a RAW drive to NTFS

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't format a RAW drive to NTFS: I recently received a new SSD and installed it into my system. I tried to format it into NTFS, which turned into the RAW format. When I try to reformat the drive in the Disk Management tool it says," The format did not complete successfully." I looked up some tutorials on...
  3. Can't format a RAW drive to NTFS

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't format a RAW drive to NTFS: I recently received a new SSD and installed it into my system. I tried to format it into NTFS, which turned into the RAW format. When I try to reformat the drive in the Disk Management tool it says," The format did not complete successfully." I looked up some tutorials on...
  4. Can't format a RAW drive to NTFS

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. I converted my drive from RAW to NTFS, i need to get my files back.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I converted my drive from RAW to NTFS, i need to get my files back.: I converted my drive from RAW to NTFS because i just had a blue screen when starting.I changed it so i can reinstall windows. I did it in the CMD in diskpart and i typed "format fs=ntfs quick"I also put some things on my desktop and i heard you shouldnt do that because things...
  6. I converted my drive from RAW to NTFS, i need to get my files back.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I converted my drive from RAW to NTFS, i need to get my files back.: I converted my drive from RAW to NTFS because i just had a blue screen when starting.I changed it so i can reinstall windows. I did it in the CMD in diskpart and i typed "format fs=ntfs quick"I also put some things on my desktop and i heard you shouldnt do that because things...
  7. I converted my drive from RAW to NTFS, i need to get my files back.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  8. Converting FAT32 drive to NTFS

Converting FAT32 drive to NTFS: It says that my drive already an NTFS when I go to my advanced startup cmd. But when I go look at in properties it still shows that it's a FAT32 drive. [IMG][ATTACH]...
  9. Convert RAW Filesystem into NTFS

Convert RAW Filesystem into NTFS: So this is an interesting story. I have an USB-Stick with 64gb space on it. I so far only used it for readyboost because i didnt really find an other use for it. But today, i wanted to set up an virtual machine and needed the usb-stick. I realized i had an windows backup on...
  10. Converting RAW external HDD to NTFS?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Converting RAW external HDD to NTFS?: My toshiba 1tb external hard drive currently says it is a raw file system and i cant seem to format it no matter what i do. I dont care for what is inside (only one word file) but i just want to be able to use it again. Is there anyway i can format the HDD and make it usable...