Windows 10: Converting FAT32 drive to NTFS

Discus and support Converting FAT32 drive to NTFS in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; It says that my drive already an NTFS when I go to my advanced startup cmd. But when I go look at in properties it still shows that it's a FAT32 drive.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by IrishSpringFan, Feb 20, 2021.

1. Converting FAT32 drive to NTFS

It says that my drive already an NTFS when I go to my advanced startup cmd. But when I go look at in properties it still shows that it's a FAT32 drive.

Converting FAT32 drive to NTFS [​IMG] Converting FAT32 drive to NTFS 1eef1359-872e-4b98-bc18-d2d38bd43423?upload=true.png

:)

IrishSpringFan, Feb 20, 2021

2. Converting from FAT32 to NTFS

So it's just Start - Run - type in cmd
    And then type in Convert C: /FS:NTFS where C is the letter of the drive.

My dad's laptop HDD is fat32.
    Are there any risks involved in using the above procedure to make it NTFS? (I cannot take a backup and he doesn't want to lose the info).

How long will it take for the entire HDD to be converted? It's an 80GB HDD.

Will there be noticeable improvements in performance?

Thanks!

Black Panther, Feb 20, 2021
  3. In W10, how can a FAT32 disc be converted to NTFS?

Hi,

You can convert FAT or FAT32 volumes to NTFS with this command. Important Once you convert a drive or partition to NTFS, you cannot simply convert it back to FAT or
    FAT32. You will need to reformat the drive or partition which will erase all data, including programs and personal files, on the partition.

How to Convert FAT Disks to NTFS - technet.microsoft.com

technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb456984.aspx

Smittychat., Feb 20, 2021
  4. LandonAZ Win User

Converting FAT32 drive to NTFS

In W10, how can a FAT32 disc be converted to NTFS?

I have an external IDE hard drive formatted with FAT32 with data that I want to keep. How can I convert that to a NTFS drive without losing data? My computer is using W10 and the files can be read properly but want to change the FAT32 drive to a NTFS
    formatted drive.

LandonAZ, Feb 20, 2021
Thema:

Converting FAT32 drive to NTFS

1. Converting FAT32 drive to NTFS - Similar Threads - Converting FAT32 drive

2. NTFS USB drives not showing in explorer, but FAT32 is

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    NTFS USB drives not showing in explorer, but FAT32 is: For some reason my PC is not showing NTFS formatted disks in explorer. Disk Management will show the drive as a healthy primary partition, but unformatted. It also shows when I click the remove and eject media icon. This is the same for all NFTS drives, and on all the USB...
  3. How do I convert an external hard drive from FAT32 to NTFS?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How do I convert an external hard drive from FAT32 to NTFS?: I need help on how to convert an external hard drive from FAT32 to NTFS. Procedure would work. TIA submitted by /u/SanQuiSau [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/hnctjw/how_do_i_convert_an_external_hard_drive_from/
  4. Compatibility FAT32 to NTFS

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Compatibility FAT32 to NTFS: Question is a flash drive formatted in FAT32 upward compatible to Windows 10 NTFS. If not what are the symptoms of incompatibility.. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/compatibility-fat32-to-ntfs/bbb8d2e0-5c09-4397-b909-ad8611da7ac0
  5. NTFS or FAT32

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    NTFS or FAT32: Hello. I have a copy of bootable Windows 10 on my 8gb flashdrive. The ISO was probably 4.7gb or 4.8gb and was from the April Update. I decided to delete it and download the October Update to use as a copy. I used Rufus but since the update has 5gb+ of files, and Rufus...
  6. Is it safe to convert USB Drive format from FAT32 to NTFS

Is it safe to convert USB Drive format from FAT32 to NTFS: Is it safe to convert USB Drive format from FAT32 to NTFS. Hi tried to transfer a 4.33 GB File to USB Stick,14.5 GB Free Space, message popped up . File To Large - ....... Is Too Large For This For The Destination File System. will It still play ok on my built in Tv Media...
  7. change FAT32 USB to NTFS

change FAT32 USB to NTFS: I purchased a 16 GB USB drive to use as ReadyBoost. In reading I discovered that NTFS is best because you can use more of the space and that you can convert FAT32 to NFTS. I had already devoted the drive to ReadyBoost before I tried this so maybe that is my problem....
  8. USB install - Fat32 OR NTFS ?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    USB install - Fat32 OR NTFS ?: Fresh Installing Windows 10 and before downloading file, I was thinking if I should format my drive to Fat32 OR NTFS OR exFAT? Does it make any difference ? - Plz Guide me. 13799
  9. Convert FAT32 to NTFS without Data Loss in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Convert FAT32 to NTFS without Data Loss in Windows: How to: Convert FAT32 to NTFS without Data Loss in Windows How to Convert FAT32 to NTFS without Data Loss in Windows [img] Information FAT32 (File Address Table 32) and NTFS (New Technology File System) are two different file systems that can be used to format a...
  10. Convert NTFS to FAT32 without Data Loss in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Convert NTFS to FAT32 without Data Loss in Windows: How to: Convert NTFS to FAT32 without Data Loss in Windows How to Convert NTFS to FAT32 without Data Loss in Windows [img] Information FAT32 (File Address Table 32) and NTFS (New Technology File System) are two different file systems that can be used to format a...