Windows 10: Converting Raw C drive into a file which I can access without deleting the data inside

Discus and support Converting Raw C drive into a file which I can access without deleting the data inside in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello everyone, I apologize if my wording of the situation is poor and if I'm describing several different problems under this post. Anyway,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Ross_337, Jan 5, 2021.

1. Ross_337 Win User

Converting Raw C drive into a file which I can access without deleting the data inside

Hello everyone,

I apologize if my wording of the situation is poor and if I'm describing several different problems under this post.

Anyway, roughly two weeks ago I installed a driver as part of an update a software Hitfilm express suggested I get. After getting that update my Lenovo G50-80 began to crash frequently and needed to restart after each one, but about a week ago I got stuck in an automatic repair screen which would keep loopokg me back to a black screen where all I could do was move my cursor.

I did a bit of research on my own and found the issue was most likely a booting error and the way to resolve it was to reinstall windows 10 through a USB which is what I have begun to do. On the windows 10 setup I cannot perform any of the repair or troubleshooting methods and I cannot do a basic install, it asks that I do a custom install where I change around the disk partitions but I'm reluctant to do anything that may remove any data on those drivers as I've been using it for five years now and much of what's on it isn't backed up anywhere.

The route I've tried to take is going to command prompt and trying to get access to the C drive so I can save the data somewhere else such as another USB or disk. When ive tried to use CD C: I end up staying on X: which I believe is my USB driver?

I tried opening up notepad and seeing if I could access my C drive that way but it told me I would need to format the drive which again I'm relectuant to do in case I lose any data on the drive.

I used diskpart and list volume to find the c drive was listed as being RAW and when I looked up what that meant saw other people had similar issues to what I was facing but I could fond no clear solution that would work for me.

Is there any way I can convert the C drive into a format which I can access and save the already existing data on it before I begin repairs and is what I have been doing until now the right way to go about reolving this boot issue?

I've attached images showing what I see in diskpart and in custom setup in case I missed anything which may be relevant.

Converting Raw C drive into a file which I can access without deleting the data inside [​IMG]Converting Raw C drive into a file which I can access without deleting the data inside [​IMG]

:)

Ross_337, Jan 5, 2021
  2. tf2029 Win User

How to convert RAW partition to NTFS partition.

Thanks for your reply. Apparently the convert drive to NTFS doesn't work when the drive is RAW. After following your instructions in step 2 I get message "convert is not available for RAW drives.

Any suggestions?

tf2029, Jan 5, 2021
  3. RM20QQ Win User
    Windows 10 installation media converted my data to RAW Partition - need help

I downloaded Windows 10 installation media onto a USB drive which had some additional data on it from before. Installation media created a bootable drive, I was able to recover the damaged windows BUT it partitioned my USB drive data into a RAW partition
    that I now can see in Disk Management tool but can't access my files. I can't format this RAW partition as it has files that i need. Can someone help walk me through as to how to access this data or convert this partitions to be accessible ?

RM20QQ, Jan 5, 2021
  4. topgundcp Win User

Converting Raw C drive into a file which I can access without deleting the data inside

Save RAW drive - Don't want data

Open Admin command prompt, then type:
    1. diskpart
    2. list disk ======> Take note of disk # of the RAW drive
    3. select disk # ======> is the number in step 2
    4. clean
    5. exit
    Open Disk Management and initialize it, Create Simple, format.

topgundcp, Jan 5, 2021
Thema:

1. Converting Raw C drive into a file which I can access without deleting the data inside - Similar Threads - Converting Raw drive

2. RAW FILE SYSTEM HOW TO ACCESS WITHOUT DATA LOSS

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    RAW FILE SYSTEM HOW TO ACCESS WITHOUT DATA LOSS: 1 TB NVME RAW FILE SYSTEM HOW TO ACCESS WITHOUT DATA LOSSraw file system readerHow to Convert RAW Drive to NTFS WITHOUT DATA LOSS https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/raw-file-system-how-to-access-without-data-loss/30bf70f2-5f9b-464a-bc7e-424a919ba73c
  3. RAW FILE SYSTEM HOW TO ACCESS WITHOUT DATA LOSS

in Windows 10 Gaming
    RAW FILE SYSTEM HOW TO ACCESS WITHOUT DATA LOSS: 1 TB NVME RAW FILE SYSTEM HOW TO ACCESS WITHOUT DATA LOSSraw file system readerHow to Convert RAW Drive to NTFS WITHOUT DATA LOSS https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/raw-file-system-how-to-access-without-data-loss/30bf70f2-5f9b-464a-bc7e-424a919ba73c
  4. RAW FILE SYSTEM HOW TO ACCESS WITHOUT DATA LOSS

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. How to convert RAW SSD to NTFS without losing data?

How to convert RAW SSD to NTFS without losing data?: I just open my laptop and suddenly it wont boot up. It goes to BSOD then advance boot options and just loops until forever. I found out my SSD is the problem.I tried plugging my SSD into another laptop using external enclosure and it only detects the SSD for a moment then...
  6. How to convert RAW SSD to NTFS without losing data?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to convert RAW SSD to NTFS without losing data?: I just open my laptop and suddenly it wont boot up. It goes to BSOD then advance boot options and just loops until forever. I found out my SSD is the problem.I tried plugging my SSD into another laptop using external enclosure and it only detects the SSD for a moment then...
  7. How to convert RAW SSD to NTFS without losing data?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Can I convert my C drive to a spanned volume without destroying data?

Can I convert my C drive to a spanned volume without destroying data?: Is it possible to convert my current C: drive simple, boot into a spanned volume without destroying data? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/can-i-convert-my-c-drive-to-a-spanned-volume/f9c4516f-262f-4963-9f7e-526c59b8e2dc
  9. which folder can be deleted in c drive

which folder can be deleted in c drive: hi in my c drive their are three program files folders 1. program files {4,050 Files, 640 Folders, 1.57GB} 2. program files x86 {15,705 Files, 3,370 Folders, 4.43GB} 3. program data hidden folder {2,360 Files, 488 Folders, 1.41GB} pls let me know which folder i can...
  10. Converting a RAW drive back to ntfs

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Converting a RAW drive back to ntfs: I have an external USB drive which has changed to a RAW drive from an NTFS drive, so Windows cannot access the drive. I have tried suggestions made on the Community website, so far non have worked, due to the fact I thing that the suggestions made are not up to date as far as...