Windows 10: Converting the install.wim in install.esd file

Discus and support Converting the install.wim in install.esd file in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi Using only the Microsoft utilities, how do I convert the install.wim to install.esd file? Thanks Bye 8978 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by balubeto, Jul 25, 2015.

1. balubeto Win User

Converting the install.wim in install.esd file

Hi

Using only the Microsoft utilities, how do I convert the install.wim to install.esd file?

Thanks

Bye

:)

balubeto, Jul 25, 2015
  2. dbltapp00 Win User

windows 10 file access is S L O W

So I found install.esd and converted it to install.wim, then:

dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth /source:c:\$windows.~bt\sources\install.wim

Still get "source files can not be found."

dbltapp00, Jul 25, 2015
  3. SS-Steve Win User
    Windows 10 DISM

"I'm confused! What dose this mean? - "SFC & DISM run to completion in 14942"

What ZigZag is saying is that this means the bug was fixed by Microsoft in build 14942, but you may still have issues if your file store is corrupt (like mine was).

I finally got DISM to run successfully, but the answer is kind of convoluted (below).

-I found my install.esd file.

-I converted it to a install.wim file. (pre-windows 10 type of install file)

-...and I ran DISM with the WIM file upgrade option because the install.ESD file kept failing trying to find the source files.

- then ran sfc

Here are the brief instructions.

1.) Find install.esd on your hard drive. It is a ~3GB file. Open a command prompt <Windows Key+X> and choose "Command Prompt (Admin)" Click "Yes" to allow access. Type the following and press <Enter>.

dir c:\install.esd /s

=Note the full path of the Install.esd file. Write it down.

=You should not find more than one Install.esd on your drive.

=If you do find more than one Install.esd file, use the most recently dated version.

2.) Convert your install.esd file into an install.wim file by downloading winreducer. Follow the instructions. This creates an install.WIM file from your install.ESD file.

WinReducer ES Wim Converter

Wait for the file to be created. It will take some time, maybe 10 minutes or more.

3.) From an admin command prompt run the following command (make sure the "C:\WinSource\sources\" is the correct path for the location of your new install.WIM file. You can always run "dir c:\install.wim /s" to find the correct path to
    the install.wim file. This command looks through drive C: and all sub-directories for install.wim.

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:wim:C:\WinSource\sources\install.wim:1 /LimitAccess

4.) Run "sfc /scannow"

This worked for me on Build 14942. DISM ran 100% complete FINALLY. I then ran sfc /scannow and the utility finally fixed/repaired the files.

I hope this helps someone.

SS-Steve, Jul 25, 2015
  4. Ztruker Win User

Ztruker, Jul 25, 2015
  5. Kyhi Win User
    Code: Dism /Export-Image /SourceImageFile:c:\temp\install.wim /SourceIndex:1 /DestinationImageFile:c:\temp\install.esd /Compress:recovery /CheckIntegrity[/quote]

6. TryHard Win User
    TryHard, Jan 23, 2016
  7. TryHard Win User
    View topic - Any difference between WIM and ESD? - BetaArchive

"The proper DISM command would be:

DISM /Export-Image /SourceImageFile:[path]\install.wim /SourceIndex:1 /DestinationImageFile:[path]\install.esd /compress:recovery /CheckIntegrity

Now, if you don't have over 8GB of memory installed, or a processor above or equivalent to a 2.2Ghz Quad Core, you're best bet is to search for and download the tool "ESD2WIM-WIM2ESD"." (i found it on a chinese site)

extract ESD2WIM-WIM2ESD-dism.7z then drop install.wim into ESD2WIM-WIM2ESD-dism folder and right click at convert.cmd, then choise 1 and it's time to wait.
    (i am currently testing all this so i am not sure if it will work)
    Edit: Works like charm, just installed my fresh windows using this method.

TryHard, Jan 23, 2016
  8. cereberus Win User

Yeah - search engines do this sort of stuff all the time - they ignore words like 'to' in the search.

cereberus, Jan 23, 2016
  9. Your DISM suggestion looks like one needs a .wmi file for Install... Well all my MS win 10 build 10586-164 doesn't have a .wmi in sight. Correct me if I am wrong, please. I would love to find a .wmi file, I really, really would. In fact I would pay cold cash (void where prohibited or lack of written contract). All I have found in all my media creation downloads is a lousy .esd file and I can't take it anymore.*cry

*ShockChinese converter can't be any worse then the last 5 Russian, USA, and Chech ones I have tried- Anyway, my problem is I don;t have a .wim file anywhere in my downloaded ESD-ISO, Mounted ISO, or USB. I have only an Install.esd which refuses to dycrypt or convert to a wmi with hidden files visible, invisible, or missing. I am using build 10586-164 directly from MS. Is there any reason to suspect they re-encrypted the .esd file to obsolete all of tutorials and converters out there in the ether or vertualness, or cybervillage, whatever?

Any additional help would be a help for my eyes, and brain, both of which are in need of an exam.

[/QUOTE]

PastPEXPilot, Apr 11, 2016
  10. Word Man Win User
    The TechBench version has install.WIM if that's what you're after: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/soft...load/techbench

BTW, welcome to TenForums, PastPEXPilot.*Smile

Word Man, Apr 11, 2016
  11. fdegrove Win User
    Hi,

Not quite sure what the point of this exercise is but MS Media creation will contain the .ESD file.
    So, besides the academic "How To" this should be faster than just having Windows do it, especially so on a lowish power CPU.

Cheers, *Wink

fdegrove, Apr 11, 2016
  12. zdilto Win User
    why do i have to repeat every step again and again for multiple image why not /SourceIndex:1,2,3 etc in the same command

zdilto, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Converting the install.wim in install.esd file - Similar Threads - Converting install wim

2. .esd does work without .wim

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    .esd does work without .wim: Can use DISM for .ESD (windows is compressed) repair below without converting to .WIM: Run as admin & fix # of OS and letter of installation flash drive: ! Be sure to use the right Drive letter so likely replace the E. 1-insert OS flashdrive,2- copy 1st string to Word doc...
  3. Creating ISO file out of an ESD image -> too big to fit inside DVD, if converted to WIM;...

Creating ISO file out of an ESD image -> too big to fit inside DVD, if converted to WIM;...: Hello, I have downloaded the following file directly from Microsoft: 17763.379.190312-0539.rs5_release_svc_refresh_CLIENTBUSINESS_VOL_x64FRE_de-de.esd (3.3 GB in size) It contains almost all Windows 10 editions in ESD image format, Build 17763.379 stable. Then I...
  4. Error during convert from ESD to WIM image MSMG Toolkit 9.1

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Error during convert from ESD to WIM image MSMG Toolkit 9.1: Hi ! I'm using MSMG Toolkit 9.1 (All operations I'm doing on Windows 10_64bit_build 1809 having administrator rights ) When I want to convert ESD to WIM (install.esd to install.wim) windows_10.iso , I'm receiving next message 'D:\MSMG' is not recognized as an internal or...
  5. Iso, esd or wim?

in Windows 10 Support
    Iso, esd or wim?: Wish to correct a Source files missing problem, so need to download an ISO. Installed is W10 1511 version 10586.164 Pro.....how can I tell whether it is ESD or WIM? I know that downloads are as following.....M$ Media is ESD and TechNet is WIM. 44127
  6. Create a wim or esd file with no volume image

in Windows 10 Support
    Create a wim or esd file with no volume image: [img] Hi Using Windows ADK 10 v1511, it is possible to create a wim or esd file with no volume image so that I can add them later? Thanks Bye 42214
  7. Stuck on converting ESD to WIM File using a script tool

in Windows 10 Support
    Stuck on converting ESD to WIM File using a script tool: Hi, I'm facing difficulty while trying to convert .ESD to .WIM File I'm using a script that belongs to below source: How to convert install.esd to install.wim Mark The Tech DISM giving me the following error when reaching at 84%> error 605 the specified buffer...
  8. convert wim file to vdh

convert wim file to vdh: I have several custom wim files each containing bootable windows 7 images plus applications how do I convert these to a format to run as virtual PC's in VMware or Virtual box. There are many solutions out there (notably using a convert-windowsimage .ps1 in powershell) but...
  9. Extract a .WIM from an .ESD?

Extract a .WIM from an .ESD?: Hi guys, I'm trying to make a 10 Pro 10586 image with MDT 2013 Update 1 and I cannot use the ISO I got from the Media Creation Tool. I realized this is because the ISO now uses a install.esd instead of install.wim; I read that it is possible to extract the .wim from a ESD...
  10. Convert ESD file to WIM using DISM in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Convert ESD file to WIM using DISM in Windows 10: How to: Convert ESD file to WIM using DISM in Windows 10 [img] Information Servicing an offline image, mounting an image, committing changes, it all sounds a bit complicated to an average Windows user. However, it's just geek speak meaning modifying default Windows...