Windows 10: Converting VMWare Windows VM to run on Linux hypervisors

Discus and support Converting VMWare Windows VM to run on Linux hypervisors in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; Hi Virtual Machine user Geeks !!! You can convert Windows VMWare VM's to run on KVM or XEN --- these are 2 of the Linux HYPERVISORS equivalent to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by jimbo45, Jun 3, 2019.

1. jimbo45 Win User

Converting VMWare Windows VM to run on Linux hypervisors

Hi Virtual Machine user Geeks !!!

You can convert Windows VMWare VM's to run on KVM or XEN --- these are 2 of the Linux HYPERVISORS equivalent to HYPER-V on Windows.

For XEN (although KVM these days is the preferred method) :

If you are using a Linux Host and have Windows VM's running under VMWare here's an interesting little experiment : Get the VM to run under XEN (one of Linux's HYPERVISOR). Copy / backup the VMWARE VM though first.

1) you need to get the .vdmk files into a single "big" file if you used the option to create the VHD in "chunks".

run this script : (as root of course)

# for i in `ls *[0-9].vmdk`; do qemu-img convert -f vmdk $i -O raw ${i/vmdk/raw} ; done
    # cat *.raw >> flattened.img

2) convert to "raw" using "Good old qemu" -- still working !!!

# qemu-img convert vm1.vmdk -O raw /vms/vm1/vm1.img

3) Create an appropriate Xen Project VM configuration file in /etc/xen/vm1/, with a line specifying the converted file as disk:
    disk = [ ‘file:/vms/vm1/vm1.img,hda,w’ ]

4) Boot and go

Still got some sound issues but looks good - ensure of course libvirt packages are installed.

I'll have a go also with the other Linux HYPERVISOR system KVM and see what happens there too.

I'm really interested in comparing performance of Windows VM's under these with Ms's HYPER-V - although one disadvantage of HYPER-V using a W10 Host is that the overhead of the Host OS (Windows 10) will be much higher than that of a lean mean linux distro especially if you install without a GUI.

@Kari -- any ideas on maximizing performance of Windows HYPER-V VM's on a Windows Host (preferably W10).

This stuff is quite addictive so ensure you have plenty of time before starting !!!!!!

KVM though IMO is the way to go with this but I already had a little experience with XEN.

For KVM : If you have RHEL or can get the virt-v package : it's easier but can't gurantee that you can do this easily on non Red Hat type distros. I have RHEL7/8 and Centos so no prob here.

Converting Virtual Machines from Other Hypervisors to KVM with virt-v2v in RHEL 7 - Red Hat Customer Portal

Works also on CENTOS (make sure >7.2) which is easily available (free) if you can't get RHEL --it's pretywell 100% comaptible with RHEL anyway

package installs just fine on my CENTOS 7.6 system.

Converting VMWare Windows VM to run on Linux hypervisors [​IMG]

will post results of VM's back later

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Jun 3, 2019

2. How do i convert a Win 10 Pro Pysical machine to a vmware vm.

I want to do this while using system resources.

The vm will be hosted on the same hardware. I will be using VMware's free vSphere hypervisor on the bare metal that the win 10 machine is currently on.

I have attempted to use the VMware stand alone converter but it fails.

Assistance would be greatly appreciated.

ArmySithLord, Jun 3, 2019
  3. JRM
    jrm Win User
    Convert VMWare VM to Hyper-V

Thanks for sharing.
    I bet someone will get sound working on a Hyper-V Linux VM someday Converting VMWare Windows VM to run on Linux hypervisors :)
    As for the conversion, great examples. I actually prefer GUI tools for Windows (just easier for me).
    StarWind V2V has done the job for me conversion to variety of Hypervisor I was using (Hyper-V, VMware, Xen).

4. Derek12 Win User

Running your Browser in a VM?

• Install VMware Player or Virtualbox, VMware being faster in my experience
    • Create a VM with sufficent RAM HD and all CPU cores
    • Install Ubuntu/Linux Mint/Debian or some lightweight distro with Xcfe or LXDE
    • Install VMware/Virtualbox tools
    • Almost any distro comes with Firefox
    • Install Ublock Origin/Noscript/Ghostery
    • Disable cookies with a whitelist/use private browsing.
    In my experience, running a browser through a VM can slow down scrolling smoothness, video playback and increase ping delay

Derek12, Jun 3, 2019
Thema:

1. Converting VMWare Windows VM to run on Linux hypervisors - Similar Threads - Converting VMWare run

2. Convert VMWare / Vbox VM's to KVM

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Convert VMWare / Vbox VM's to KVM: Hi folks If you want to convert VMWare VM's or VBOX ones to KVM it's a fairly straight forward but longish process. depending on the size of the original VM's. The Virtual disk though must be in a single vdmk image so if you have several vdmk files (most people do not...
  3. WIN XP (32 bit) VM's convert from VMWare - I'm VMWare free now

WIN XP (32 bit) VM's convert from VMWare - I'm VMWare free now: Hi there For some people there's still a need to run XP systems - even as VM's. To run XP VM's on the latest hardware and Linux kernels (KVM) - forget about converting from VMWare / VBOX if you have those Install again from new --- use Windows XP Pro with SP3 or later ....
  4. VMWare installing Linux / Windows VM's with NVme Disks

VMWare installing Linux / Windows VM's with NVme Disks: Hi folks on Windows latest VMWare releases (>15.5.6 ) allow the use of an NVme driver -- works super well on bog standard SSD's too. For Windows VM's -- no problem just install your VM. However there's a catch when installing a Linux distro from a live distro (those that...
  5. Esxi - Linux VM itself running VMWare Workstation

Esxi - Linux VM itself running VMWare Workstation: Hi there @johnnyZ Here's a screenshot of an Arch Linux system running as a VM on ESXI 5.7 (Esxi is the HOST OS) with the arch linux kernel at 5.3.11 and this VM running VMWare workstation -- so in theory your VM's could easily use any VMWare VM images from USB devices while...
  6. VMWare - enabling 3D and HW acceleratio(Linux Hosts with Windows VM's

VMWare - enabling 3D and HW acceleratio(Linux Hosts with Windows VM's: Hi there clicking the 3D / hardware acceleration doesn't always work to get hardware acceleration and 3D to work on VM's with Linux hosts. A "get around" that usually works is to manually add this line to the .vmx (VMWare configuration file) : mks.gl.allowBlacklistedDrivers...
  7. Example of Windows 10 Running on KVM (Hypervisor) on Linux Host

Example of Windows 10 Running on KVM (Hypervisor) on Linux Host: Hi folks Here's a recent build of Windows 10 running on the Linux HYPERVISOR (equivalent to Windows HYPER-V) KVM -- it's built into the kernel so all the extra packagres are available to run this. The main problem is to create a network bridge (equivalent to HYPER-V external...
  8. Can we run Windows 10 on a VMWare VM?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Can we run Windows 10 on a VMWare VM?: my company would like to use Windows on a VMWare Vm. The host is a VMWAre server and we don't care which Windows version we use except that the VM will be configured with 2 CPU and 1 TB of disk and single user. I hear tell that Windows 10 USB would work but has anyone...
  9. Convert VMWare VM to Hyper-V

Convert VMWare VM to Hyper-V: Hi folks am testing this little thing I saw on the Internet about converting a VM created with VMware to HYPER-V For anybody trying this too -- do back up your existing VM if you think you'll need it or if the conversion process fails, How to Convert Vmware Virtual...
  10. Unity Mode Fix for W10 VMware VM's on Linux Hosts

Unity Mode Fix for W10 VMware VM's on Linux Hosts: Hi there This seems to work fine for Windows 10 VM's on some Linux Hosts. 1) Uninstall VMware tools on the VM - shut down but don't re-power on 2) uninstall open-vm-tools on your HOST machine - typically as root or sudo yum autoremove open-vm-tools or whatever it is in...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. VM conversion problem using Rainbow for KVM