Windows 10: Converting VOB video from DVD to MP4 for home videos

Discus and support Converting VOB video from DVD to MP4 for home videos in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hi, I have a lot of home family videos taken over the years with my Sony DV Video Cassette camcorder which is obsolete now. I have burn all these... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by chlee70, Jul 24, 2020.

1. chlee70 Win User

Converting VOB video from DVD to MP4 for home videos

Hi,

I have a lot of home family videos taken over the years with my Sony DV Video Cassette camcorder which is obsolete now.

I have burn all these videos into DVDs using Sony's Multi-Function DVD Recorder VRD-MC6 some years ago.

I noted the video format in the DVDs are VOB.

I now wish to transfer these home videos into my HDD using MP4 format and be able to watch them on PC rather than via DVD.

I noted there are many free downloads such as Handbrake, etc, but at the same time I am concern with virus or trojan software that may be bundled with them as were mentioned in some forums.

Question: Can anyone assist to provide guidance on what software I could download free is a good option, but paid if necessary to transfer my home videos from DVD VOB format into my PC's HDD in MP4 format. I currently use Windows 10.

Thank you very much in advance for your assistance.

Warmest regards

:)

chlee70, Jul 24, 2020
  2. chlee70 Win User

Converting VOB video from DVD to MP4 (for home videos)

Hi,

I have a lot of home family videos taken over the years with my Sony DV Video Cassette camcorder (which is obsolete now).

I have burn all these videos into DVDs using Sony's Multi-Function DVD Recorder (VRD-MC6) some years ago.

I noted the video format in the DVDs are VOB.

I now wish to transfer these home videos into my HDD using MP4 format and be able to watch them on PC rather than via DVD.

I noted there are many free downloads such as Handbrake, etc, but at the same time I am concern with virus or trojan software that may be bundled with them (as were mentioned in some forums).

Question: Can anyone assist to provide guidance on what software I could download (free is a good option, but paid if necessary) to transfer my home videos from DVD (VOB format) into my PC's HDD (in MP4 format). I currently use Windows 10.

Thank you very much in advance for your assistance.

Warmest regards

chlee70, Jul 27, 2020
  3. chlee70 Win User
    Converting VOB video from DVD to MP4 (for home videos)

Dear Martmcd,

Thanks for the guidance given. Have managed to download the app from the link. Also scanned it before installing (just for good measure).

The file size for the first full DVD dropped drastically from 4.19GB to only 1.65GB and the picture is grainy. I can't replay the DVD on my DVD player at the moment, but from memory the quality of the image form the converted file is pretty poor (grainy
    and unclear). I have converted it into MP4, with REF set at 18 (as recommended for standard quality source) for the first DVD.

As these are videos with much sentimental value, I needed to convert them to PC based format with minimal or no loss in quality. (Nevertheless, the source quality is low due to the old tech it was created with (720 x 576 only)).

Will need to work on this (play around with the settings), but am not sure if the significant decrease in file size has major impact on the video quality.

BTW if you have good apps for download to playback DVD (VOB format) on Windows 10 - please feel free to advise. I have downloaded DVD Movie Player from the Microsoft online shop - but it does not work.

Thanks again

Rgds

chlee70, Jul 27, 2020
  4. gasolin Win User

Convert vob files into mp4 (chromecast)

I have draged the files from videos (dvd's) on to my pc, now i need to convert them from vob into mp4 video so i can watch it using my chromecast (have bought my first media server).

My problem is i want it converted into one video i can click on and press play, because it's chromecast it has to be mp4 but most programs i have tried like handbreak makes the video smaller or bigger then the original size on the dvd or just converts the 10-15 vob files into 10-15 mp4 files, not one file i can click on and play. I want it losless not compromised

After that i can start ripping dvd's in mp4 instead of just draggin the files into a folder and right click on the folder and choose to play it with vlc.

What program can do that? I want a free program but if i have to i will pay for it if it's a good program that's better then all the free program, as long as it works, convert the video into one video file in mp4

gasolin, Jul 27, 2020
Thema:

1. Converting VOB video from DVD to MP4 for home videos - Similar Threads - Converting VOB video

2. Trying to burn mp4 video to blank DVD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Trying to burn mp4 video to blank DVD: I'm trying to burn an mp4 video to a blank DVD+RW. However, when I inserted the blank disc and tried burning it through Windows Media Player Legacy, a pop up appeared: "Please insert a blank disc in CD drive E:. On WMPL detects the new disc, it will automatically start...
  3. Trying to burn mp4 video to blank DVD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Trying to burn mp4 video to blank DVD: I'm trying to burn an mp4 video to a blank DVD+RW. However, when I inserted the blank disc and tried burning it through Windows Media Player Legacy, a pop up appeared: "Please insert a blank disc in CD drive E:. On WMPL detects the new disc, it will automatically start...
  4. Convert MOD video files to MP4

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Convert MOD video files to MP4: I have windows 10 and my MOD video files will not play. It seems I need a converter to convert MOD video files to MP4’s.Can anyone recommend a converter? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/convert-mod-video-files-to-mp4/58b1bb4b-e2f1-4932-841e-f650ab159fa9
  5. Convert MOD video files to MP4

Convert MOD video files to MP4: I have windows 10 and my MOD video files will not play. It seems I need a converter to convert MOD video files to MP4’s.Can anyone recommend a converter? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/convert-mod-video-files-to-mp4/58b1bb4b-e2f1-4932-841e-f650ab159fa9
  6. Mp4 videos

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Mp4 videos: Hi could someone please help me to get my mp4 videos to play in windows 11, I have tried the fix for media player compression thing, but the instructions are for windows 10and I do not get the same options, so cant do it. Does anyone know the steps for windows 11. All i get...
  7. Mp4 videos

Mp4 videos: Hi could someone please help me to get my mp4 videos to play in windows 11, I have tried the fix for media player compression thing, but the instructions are for windows 10and I do not get the same options, so cant do it. Does anyone know the steps for windows 11. All i get...
  8. Convert DVD to video file

in Windows 10 Support
    Convert DVD to video file: Not sure if this is the appropriate place to post. I had Costco convert a VHS to DVD, now I have all these files. Basically it's a DVD of 9 different scenes. Any idea on how I can save into one video file so I can upload to Google drive? Thanks for any help. [img] 175091
  9. Having issues converting video to DVD

Having issues converting video to DVD: For more then a decade now my wife and I have been taking photo's and videos of our daughter. Not wanting to blindly have faith nothing will happen to the SD cards these files are stored on, I'm attempting at moving everything onto dvd. I was easily able to burn off the...
  10. Mp4 to DVD converter!

Mp4 to DVD converter!: Hello... Windows 10 Pro x 64, Amd-1090 T Cpu, 16 Gb's Ram... 6890 Gpu -2Gb,s Ram... I'm in need of a Mp4 to Dvd free converter and if possible with burner. I have been trying to find one for a while now but all the ones I find say free but they are just trial versions....