Windows 10: copied file has no file type

Discus and support copied file has no file type in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello can someone tell me how to add the file type to a file? I copied 2 video files from my samsung galaxy onto my dell PC but when I open properties... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by artislee, Feb 25, 2017.

1. artislee Win User

copied file has no file type

Hello can someone tell me how to add the file type to a file? I copied 2 video files from my samsung galaxy onto my dell PC but when I open properties beside file type it just says file instead of mp4 which I know they are because I made the videos. Im assuming the solution is fairly simple but I cant really find anything about it so here I am. Any help will be greatly apopreciated. Thanks in advance.,

:)

artislee, Feb 25, 2017

2. File Explorer has gone crazy after last nights upgrade.

My only has icons instead of full descriptions. I can not get back to a point where I have tabs that actually say something. Please tell me how to get my view repaired? help... Help.... HELP!!!

File Explorer, Feb 25, 2017
  3. No sound plays back from copied mp4 file in Windows10

Hi Linda,

Thank you for being a part of Windows 10.

I appreciate you for providing details about the issue and we are happy to help you.

I suggest you to refer to the following Microsoft article on
    Fix sound problems and check if it helps.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/fix-sound-problems#v1h=tab01

Reference: Refer to the following Microsoft article on
    Windows 10 help & how-to

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/support

Kindly let us know if you need any further assistance with Windows. We are glad to assist you.

Thank you.

Harshavardhan Rathod, Feb 25, 2017
  4. Berton Win User

Right-click one of them and Rename, type .mp4 then double-click and see if it opens.

Or open File Explorer, click View, click Options and on the View tab Uncheck the Hide extensions for known types, check the result, should show the file type if it has been assigned.

Berton, Feb 25, 2017
  5. Bree New Member
    .mp4 is the file extension. You must put it at the end of your file's name like this: filename.mp4

It will help make things clearer if you turn on 'show file extensions', there's a tick-box for this in File Explorer's 'View' tab.

Bree, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. copied file has no file type - Similar Threads - copied file has

2. Copying Files

in Windows 10 Customization
    Copying Files: Hi, I started copying a single file from drive 1 to drive 2, it was copying at 200MB/s give or take. Then I started copying another file from Drive 1 to drive 3, and both are copying at 40MB/s. Why does copying 2 files cut the total traffic by 60% ? I can understand both...
  3. Copying / moving only one specific type of file

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Copying / moving only one specific type of file: Hi! First of all, thank you for even taking the time to read this. TL:DR - How do I, in a large folder with ~200 more folders, select one type of file? To move on to my 'issue' right away; I have one large folder that consists of ~200 more folders. Each of those folders has...
  4. Batch file to search directory for file type and copy to new location

in Windows 10 Support
    Batch file to search directory for file type and copy to new location: Hi all, Not sure if posting in correct area, I would like to have a batch file that can search a directory or drive for file type and copy that file into a new directory renaming the file to reflect what users folder it came out of. To be a little more specific, I have...
  5. copying files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    copying files: How do I transfer music files to my linked phone? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/copying-files/883dd539-1427-418a-b163-426df9d620fd"
  6. Copying Files

Copying Files: There is something I observed while bulk copying : The copy speed while backing up 100s of GB of data from one Hard Drive to back-up drive. I wonder it is a problem of windows or a problem in my system? When I, say copying a smaller amount of data (for example 30-40 GB...
  7. Copying Files

Copying Files: How can I copy user files from one PC to another? I have given myself permissions to the user folder on the old PC and shared the folders out but I can't access them from the new PC....
  8. Copy/Paste Clipboard file types.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Copy/Paste Clipboard file types.: I lose transparency when copying and pasting from Photoshop to Illustrator. I believe this is because when switching applications, Photoshop exports the clipboard data to the OS clipboard, and Windows clipboard(as I understand it) only takes image data as BMP which doesn't...
  9. Problem copying file to desktop - System has file Open?

in Windows 10 Support
    Problem copying file to desktop - System has file Open?: I'm trying to copy a ripped movie file (iso) from my G drive to desktop. The file is 45GB. It gets to 99% then a message comes up saying the process can't complete because the System has the file open. I have nothing running and can't find anything where the System is...
  10. Copying files

in Windows 10 Support
    Copying files: I have a flash drive with many mp3's on it, however they are split up into various folders. How can I copy all mp3's to my fixed disc without the directories, ie just copy the mp3's without having to access each individual directory. TIA, Mike 83198