Windows 10: Copied my Windows 10 partition to a new location, desktop flashes

Discus and support Copied my Windows 10 partition to a new location, desktop flashes in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Would simply moving my windows partition to an earlier location on the disk, and running bcdedit to create a new boot entry, be expected to cause any... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by foobarbecue, Apr 28, 2016.

1. Copied my Windows 10 partition to a new location, desktop flashes

Would simply moving my windows partition to an earlier location on the disk, and running bcdedit to create a new boot entry, be expected to cause any problems?

Here's what happened:

I had a windows partition that was near the end of the disk (~3tb to ~4tb on a 4tb disk) and I wanted to expand it, so I copied it (sector-by-sector) to free space near the beginning of the (4tb gpt) disk using AOMEI Partition Assistant.

Then I used bcdedit to add a boot entry for the newly copied partition.

• It seemed to start up fine, but upon logging in, the screen started flashing.
    • Explorer.exe was crashing several times per second.
    • It was hard to do much but I managed to taskkill explorer.exe to stop the flashing and look at the system logs.
    • The explorer.exe error is in twinui.dll.
    • There are also errors popping up about attempted memory access to very low addresses like 0x00000000008.
    • I rebooted to a recovery console command prompt and "ran sfc /scannow". sfc got to 100% verifying and then said "Windows Resource Protection could not perform the required operation."

I can boot from the original partition without any trouble.

Please don't bother telling me I need to reinstall windows.

(I also posted on superuser)

:)

foobarbecue, Apr 28, 2016
  2. JohnSci Win User

DISM Clone to same PC unusable due to Flashing Screen

Working desktop PC with GPT partitioned disks, running Windows 10 Pro x64.

PC does not have IDT Audio, and never had any 3rd party Antivirus software.

Uninstalled Apple iCloud and restarted PC a couple of times before image.

Used WinPE 10 DISM 10.0.10586.0 to image the working partition.

Then applied image to partition on different disk and added boot entry / files to Windows Boot Manager.

New copy of Windows 10 boots fine, displays Date/Time screen and Sign-on screen.

Sign-on with any Username and desktop screen flashes rapidly on and off.

NO desktop icons are displayed. Task bar displays Start button, Cortana search box, desktops icon and notification icon.

Ctrl-Alt-Del displays a stable screen with Security and Shutdown options.

Run task manager

Background processes includes 1-3 Windows Problem Reporting processes.

Run a new task: msconfig with admin privileges

msconfig

DISABLE Services

Windows Error Reporting Service

Problem Reports and Solution Control Panel

Restart PC

---

SAME problem as above.

So using Microsoft's DISM to clone a working copy of Windows 10, we have an unusable PC.

---

Then tried restarting in Safe mode.

Identical problem, we now have a flashing Safe mode screen

----

JohnSci, Apr 28, 2016
  3. Yowa N Win User
    How to recover the deleted files from Windows10

My first advice is don't copy new files and don't defragment windows partition.

Auto update Windows 10 doesn't delete anything from your library including desktop.

In case Custom installation your files are in the folder Windows.Old/Users/User(your name)/Desktop.

If they are there select them all with Ctl-A copy and paste to your new library.

Yowa N, Apr 28, 2016
Thema:

Copied my Windows 10 partition to a new location, desktop flashes

1. Copied my Windows 10 partition to a new location, desktop flashes - Similar Threads - Copied partition location

2. My new copy of windows 10 will not activate

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My new copy of windows 10 will not activate: I have purchased a new copy of windows 10 for a new build but the product will not activate.It keeps saying key is not valid, but this is a new sealed copy of windows *** Email address is removed for privacy ***...
  3. My new copy of windows 10 will not activate

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My new copy of windows 10 will not activate: I have purchased a new copy of windows 10 for a new build but the product will not activate.It keeps saying key is not valid, but this is a new sealed copy of windows *** Email address is removed for privacy ***...
  4. My new copy of windows 10 will not activate

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
  5. Windows 10 installation: Couldn't create a new partition or locate an existing one

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 installation: Couldn't create a new partition or locate an existing one: I'm trying install Windows 10 to a Dell XPS 9360 laptop from 2018 I've had Debian on for the last couple of years, but which originally came with Win 10. I downloaded the installation media from Microsoft site and created a bootable USB drive on my Macbook. The installation...
  6. Partitioning a Flash Drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Partitioning a Flash Drive: I purchased a Samsung 2 Tb flash drive and tried to partition it. It appeared that I first needed to change it from exfat to NTFS so I did using Windows 10 Disk Management. I then created a 1 Tb partition that appears to be okay but I haven’t tried using it yet. I then...
  7. windows 10 "we couldn't create a new partition or locate an existing..

windows 10 "we couldn't create a new partition or locate an existing..: I am trying to install windows 10 1909 downloaded from microsoft download page into my m.2 drive. I want to use mbr system so I made sure that my m.2 drive is mbr using AOMEI partition tool but the problem when I run the windows 10 setup I get this error when I select my m.2...
  8. windows 10 "we couldn't create a new partition or locate an existing..

in Windows 10 Support
    windows 10 "we couldn't create a new partition or locate an existing..: I am trying to install windows 10 1909 downloaded from microsoft download page into my m.2 drive. I want to use mbr system so I made sure that my m.2 drive is mbr using AOMEI partition tool but the problem when I run the windows 10 setup I get this error when I select my m.2...
  9. Copy of the Windows 10 recovery partition.

Copy of the Windows 10 recovery partition.: How do I make a complete copy of the Windows 10 recovery partition to DVD for recovery. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/copy-of-the-windows-10-recovery-partition/b50f08ab-faa0-4f77-817e-ad1c95a8f40e
  10. We Couldn't create a new partition or locate ... Installing Windows 10

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    We Couldn't create a new partition or locate ... Installing Windows 10: [ATTACH] Hi everyone! I am trying to install Windows 10 and I am having problems with the SSD. When I try to install it I get the next error: We couldn’t create a new partition or locate an existing one Ok so looking for a solution and find this:...