Windows 10: Copied my Windows 10 partition to a new location, desktop flashes

Discus and support Copied my Windows 10 partition to a new location, desktop flashes in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Would simply moving my windows partition to an earlier location on the disk, and running bcdedit to create a new boot entry, be expected to cause any... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by foobarbecue, Apr 28, 2016.

1. Copied my Windows 10 partition to a new location, desktop flashes

Would simply moving my windows partition to an earlier location on the disk, and running bcdedit to create a new boot entry, be expected to cause any problems?

Here's what happened:

I had a windows partition that was near the end of the disk (~3tb to ~4tb on a 4tb disk) and I wanted to expand it, so I copied it (sector-by-sector) to free space near the beginning of the (4tb gpt) disk using AOMEI Partition Assistant.

Then I used bcdedit to add a boot entry for the newly copied partition.

• It seemed to start up fine, but upon logging in, the screen started flashing.
    • Explorer.exe was crashing several times per second.
    • It was hard to do much but I managed to taskkill explorer.exe to stop the flashing and look at the system logs.
    • The explorer.exe error is in twinui.dll.
    • There are also errors popping up about attempted memory access to very low addresses like 0x00000000008.
    • I rebooted to a recovery console command prompt and "ran sfc /scannow". sfc got to 100% verifying and then said "Windows Resource Protection could not perform the required operation."

I can boot from the original partition without any trouble.

Please don't bother telling me I need to reinstall windows.

(I also posted on superuser)

:)

foobarbecue, Apr 28, 2016
  2. JohnSci Win User

DISM Clone to same PC unusable due to Flashing Screen

Working desktop PC with GPT partitioned disks, running Windows 10 Pro x64.

PC does not have IDT Audio, and never had any 3rd party Antivirus software.

Uninstalled Apple iCloud and restarted PC a couple of times before image.

Used WinPE 10 DISM 10.0.10586.0 to image the working partition.

Then applied image to partition on different disk and added boot entry / files to Windows Boot Manager.

New copy of Windows 10 boots fine, displays Date/Time screen and Sign-on screen.

Sign-on with any Username and desktop screen flashes rapidly on and off.

NO desktop icons are displayed. Task bar displays Start button, Cortana search box, desktops icon and notification icon.

Ctrl-Alt-Del displays a stable screen with Security and Shutdown options.

Run task manager

Background processes includes 1-3 Windows Problem Reporting processes.

Run a new task: msconfig with admin privileges

msconfig

DISABLE Services

Windows Error Reporting Service

Problem Reports and Solution Control Panel

Restart PC

---

SAME problem as above.

So using Microsoft's DISM to clone a working copy of Windows 10, we have an unusable PC.

---

Then tried restarting in Safe mode.

Identical problem, we now have a flashing Safe mode screen

----

JohnSci, Apr 28, 2016
  3. Yowa N Win User
    How to recover the deleted files from Windows10

My first advice is don't copy new files and don't defragment windows partition.

Auto update Windows 10 doesn't delete anything from your library including desktop.

In case Custom installation your files are in the folder Windows.Old/Users/User(your name)/Desktop.

If they are there select them all with Ctl-A copy and paste to your new library.

Yowa N, Apr 28, 2016
Thema:

Copied my Windows 10 partition to a new location, desktop flashes

1. Copied my Windows 10 partition to a new location, desktop flashes - Similar Threads - Copied partition location

2. New copy of Windows 10 Pro

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    New copy of Windows 10 Pro: I am looking at getting or building a new PC. Will I have to buy a new copy of Windows 10 Pro (I use both 64 and 32 Bit versions) or is the Media Creation tool adequate to create a new copy? I do not have a product key as version 8 Upgrade is the only Install CD that I have....
  3. Wrong location on my desktop

in Windows 10 Customization
    Wrong location on my desktop: Computer thinks our server is in a location 60 miles from where we actually are. It has been this way for years even though we've moved offices twice, the location used when we use our browsers, etc... stays in Titusville, FL and not in Orlando. How can I fix this?...
  4. copy files on flash drive to word in windows 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    copy files on flash drive to word in windows 10: I have several files on a flash drive copied from Windows 7, and want to copy them to Word in Windows 10. I can't find any procedures outlining the steps to take. Can someone point me in the right direction?...
  5. can't copy to flash

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    can't copy to flash: after recent updates, I can't copy any type of file to any flash drive and there no any error message , I checked to see if I can copy to my phone and it worked but it didn't on flash, I can copy to flash from another pc'c...
  6. How to copy and sync my documents to a different location

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to copy and sync my documents to a different location: I understand there are lots of articles on how to move my documents (or other personal folders) to another location - what I'm interested in is creating another folder in a different partition and have my documents folder files copied (not moved) to the other...
  7. File corrupted after copying to new flash drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    File corrupted after copying to new flash drive: Recently i bought 2 flash drive, toshiba and sandisk, and when i copy files to toshiba, it ended up corrupt, so i copied the same files to sandisk, its fine, so i do a scan with malwarebytes, clear, i've formatted the toshiba, issue still persist, so i connect toshiba to my...
  8. Windows 10 Clean Install - We couldn't create a new partition or locat

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 Clean Install - We couldn't create a new partition or locat: I originally made a USB key which booted fine, but could not install on any partition on two different PCs and 4 different drives. It gave the error message "We couldn't create a new partition or locate an existing one. For more information, see the Setup log files." Tried...
  9. Desktop Location

in Windows 10 Support
    Desktop Location: I just replaced my hard drive and reinstalled W10 Fall Creators Edition. (I know that was overkill, I could have just restored a Macrium image but I am a machochist but I thought it time for a new clean install.) On the old disk my Desktop was under users/me/Desktop. The...
  10. flashing desktop

in Windows 10 Support
    flashing desktop: I have a Lenovo ideapad S510p touch. Yesterday I went to use it and updates were installing so I waited and waited. After awhile, nothing else happened. I waited some more. Waiting. Nothing. Finally I restarted and after signing in and I just got a flashing half-filled-out...