Windows 10: Copied or Moved Video Files Will Not Play

Discus and support Copied or Moved Video Files Will Not Play in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I am running Windows 10 Pro. My issue is this: when I copy or paste a video file MP4, MKV, AVI etc., the file will not open in Windows Media Player,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by ChuckyEsco, Nov 25, 2020.

1. Copied or Moved Video Files Will Not Play

I am running Windows 10 Pro. My issue is this: when I copy or paste a video file MP4, MKV, AVI etc., the file will not open in Windows Media Player, VLC Player or Divx. The file plays fine in its original location, but once moved, will not open. I do get an error from Windows Media Player when I try to play an MP4 I kind of expect the error, but the AVI and MKV files just never open. VLC just shows the orange status bar moving back and forth and never opens. I have tried this same process on another pc, and the same thing happens. Never seen this happen in the past. I think I eliminated corrupted files, since the original plays and media players since I tried at least 3 players.

:)

ChuckyEsco, Nov 25, 2020
  2. temp02 Win User

Java.nio.file - Copying files

You can't copy a folder, thats why it generates an exception (you are trying to copy a folder using a copy file function).
    You probably need to list all the files inside that folder and copy one by one

temp02, Nov 25, 2020
  3. Amit_Sun Win User
    video not playing

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

1. May I know, which video player you are using to play the video?
    2. Are you able to play the video on any other computer?
    3. Are you facing the issue with only specific video or with all the other videos?

This issue could also occur when the USB or SD card is corrupted when you have transferred the video.

Try the troubleshooting methods provided below to further narrow down the root cause of the issue.

Method 1: Try a different video player.

1. Try to use a different USB to transfer the video, if you are playing it on other computer or device.
    2. I suggest you to try a different video player and check if it plays.
    3. You can also check on different device or computer.

Step: Run Windows Media player troubleshooter.

1. Press Windows + R key on your keyboard together.
    2. Copy and paste the below command and run each at a time and follow the onscreen instruction on the troubleshooter
    3. msdt.exe -id WindowsMediaPlayerConfigurationDiagnostic
    4. msdt.exe -id WindowsMediaPlayerLibraryDiagnostic
    5. msdt.exe -id WindowsMediaPlayerDVDDiagnostic
    6. Reboot the computer and check.
    If you still face the issue, reply to this post with more information.

Hope it helps,

Amit Sunar

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Amit_Sun, Nov 25, 2020
  4. Wozzer Win User

Copied or Moved Video Files Will Not Play

Java.nio.file - Copying files

Issue was the above, so thanks temp02.

Wozzer, Nov 25, 2020
Thema:

Copied or Moved Video Files Will Not Play

1. Copied or Moved Video Files Will Not Play - Similar Threads - Copied Moved Video

2. Copied/Moved MP4 files to a Directory doesn't Play

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Copied/Moved MP4 files to a Directory doesn't Play: I have some downloaded videos available on my desktop. I am using Windows 11 with latest updates and all drivers fully updated. When I move those videos MP4 format to any directory, they work in some directories while doesn't work in some. I tried adding those files to a ZIP...
  3. Copied/Moved MP4 files to a Directory doesn't Play

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Copied/Moved MP4 files to a Directory doesn't Play: I have some downloaded videos available on my desktop. I am using Windows 11 with latest updates and all drivers fully updated. When I move those videos MP4 format to any directory, they work in some directories while doesn't work in some. I tried adding those files to a ZIP...
  4. FILE EXPLORER - Move vs. Copy

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    FILE EXPLORER - Move vs. Copy: Hello. I can't figure out why when I drag and drop files to different folders in File Explorer there are times it 'moves' versus 'copies'. I can't tell what I'm doing differently. Thanks....
  5. Moving or Copying Files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Moving or Copying Files: My new Windows 11 is disappointing because it fails to incorporate Windows 10 excellent file management system when it comes to sending or copying a file. Is there any thought to bringing that feature into W11?...
  6. Moving or Copying Files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Moving or Copying Files: My new Windows 11 is disappointing because it fails to incorporate Windows 10 excellent file management system when it comes to sending or copying a file. Is there any thought to bringing that feature into W11?...
  7. copy move files

copy move files: Hi I am a photographer and on Windows 10 I manually copy images to backup all the time.... I want to copy files to backup and filter only by name & size and not by Date/Time... Because of Daylight Saving Time many times my backup files do not jive with the original files...
  8. I cannot move, copy or rename my files. They are video files. I can play them.

I cannot move, copy or rename my files. They are video files. I can play them.: Recently I upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10. I had three disk partitions. C Drive, D Drive and E Drive. Windows is installed in C Drive. After upgrade D Drive became E Drive and E Drive became F Drive. I can't move, copy or rename files and folders in these drives. Also,...
  9. EFS copying , moving files

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    EFS copying , moving files: Hello, I am preparing for the MD-100 certification and I have a question about copying or moving EFS files. According to Exam Ref MD-100 Windows 10 by Andrew Bettany on page #188 "EFS will prevent attempts to copy or move encrypted data by anyone except users who have the...
  10. Copying video file to be played on dvd player

Copying video file to be played on dvd player: I have home movies that I transferred from vhs to dvd using the dubbing function in my vcr/dvd recorder. After it was done, I selected "finalize", and was able to play the movies on another dvd player. Now I want to make copies on additional dvds. I was able to copy the...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. video can not play in copy folder