Windows 10: Copy and paste in Windows 10 file explorer resulting in corrupt copies

Discus and support Copy and paste in Windows 10 file explorer resulting in corrupt copies in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello, I encountered a very serious issue with trying to copy and paste files to a backup hard drive in Windows file explorer by using Ctrl+C and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by JosephGodino, Dec 3, 2018.

1. Copy and paste in Windows 10 file explorer resulting in corrupt copies

Hello,

I encountered a very serious issue with trying to copy and paste files to a backup hard drive in Windows file explorer by using Ctrl+C and Ctrl+V.

Usually I determine whether my backups are complete and in agreement with each other by doing a casual comparison of the total bytes reported in the backup to the total bytes reported in the source.

I decided to check my backup collection more carefully by comparing the SHA-256 hashes of a collection of backed-up files to the SHA-256 hashes of the files on another mirror of the same collection.

After I discovered that there were numerous mismatches, I determined which mirror had file corruption by trying to open the files with hashes that were in disagreement. I opened the corrupt files in a hex editor, and I found that the sizes and filenames were correct but the contents were zero in every byte.

I deleted the corrupt files, then tried to restore them by doing a Ctrl+C and Ctrl+V transfer from the clean mirror. The copies were corrupt after the transfer. I understand that what I am describing is symptomatic of a faulty hard drive. But I'm not convinced that I have that problem. I was able to get the files to successfully transfer if I copied them one-at-a-time instead of copying a whole folder at a time.

I was also able to transfer the files successfully by using the "copy *.*" command in cmd.exe.

Is anyone else getting junk backup files by doing a copy and paste in Windows 10?

Some notes:

I was copying from an NTFS volume to an exFAT volume.

If I decided to copy only one file, I was informed that it would be copied without all of its attributes saved in the source volume.

During my attempt to copy large files, the progress window told me that my transfer rate was 0 bytes/sec to the destination disk.

While the transfer rate was 0 bytes/sec, the names of several large files flashed successively in the progress window.

:)

JosephGodino, Dec 3, 2018
  2. Remon Ont Win User

Windows Explorer Copy and Paste problems

Hi,

The copy/paste problem could be due to Windows Explorer issue or faulty keyboard.

Wewould like to know some information to better isolate the problem:

• Is the issue also happening when trying to copy/paste any Office files, or is it only happening in Windows Explorer?
    • Have you tried other ways like; right-click + Copy, then right-click + Paste?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?

We will wait for your reply.

Remon Ont, Dec 3, 2018
  3. Tech_PSI Win User
    Copy Paste Files in File Explorer.

I have a user, using Windows 10 Professional who is experiencing problems with Copy/Paste in file explorer. She is trying to copy a file but the resulting paste is a simple file with the same name, no extension. The file is being copied to the same folder
    as the source file. It isn't adding the "copy" suffix to the file name either. It does not matter what file type it is, I have tried it myself with several different file types with the same result.

Any ideas?

Mike B.

Tech_PSI, Dec 3, 2018
  4. temp02 Win User

Copy and paste in Windows 10 file explorer resulting in corrupt copies

Java.nio.file - Copying files

You can't copy a folder, thats why it generates an exception (you are trying to copy a folder using a copy file function).
    You probably need to list all the files inside that folder and copy one by one

temp02, Dec 3, 2018
Thema:

Copy and paste in Windows 10 file explorer resulting in corrupt copies

1. Copy and paste in Windows 10 file explorer resulting in corrupt copies - Similar Threads - Copy paste file

2. cut,copy,paste disable in file explorer'

in Windows 10 Gaming
    cut,copy,paste disable in file explorer': cut,copy,paste disable in file explorer' https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cutcopypaste-disable-in-file-explorer/2d5da5c7-e22a-48e0-922b-f5535697c0d6
  3. cut,copy,paste disable in file explorer'

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    cut,copy,paste disable in file explorer': cut,copy,paste disable in file explorer' https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cutcopypaste-disable-in-file-explorer/2d5da5c7-e22a-48e0-922b-f5535697c0d6
  4. cut,copy,paste disable in file explorer'

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Copy and Paste result gets jumbled text?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Copy and Paste result gets jumbled text?: I am unsure why this happens but sometimes when I go about copy and pasting text instead of the link or word I'm trying to paste it gives me this length of jumbled text and numbers and I'm not too sure what I can do about it For example: I copy a youtube video link, but when...
  6. Copy and Paste result gets jumbled text?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Copy and Paste result gets jumbled text?: I am unsure why this happens but sometimes when I go about copy and pasting text instead of the link or word I'm trying to paste it gives me this length of jumbled text and numbers and I'm not too sure what I can do about it For example: I copy a youtube video link, but when...
  7. File explorer crashes during file copy-paste in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File explorer crashes during file copy-paste in Windows 10: Hi friends, I am using Windows 10 on my laptop. The so-called Windows Explorer crashes right in the middle of a file move operation, leaving me with two corrupted parts of the same file. This SUCKS, I've experienced this many times before. Kindly tell me a solution to...
  8. File Explorer Won't Copy or Paste

File Explorer Won't Copy or Paste: I've been trying to copy, paste and delete files on a couple of USB sticks and I've just run into problem after problem. Usually everything works fine, but today I've had some really weird things happen. When I was trying to copy and paste files, it said I could copy and...
  9. Pasting copied images to File Explorer

Pasting copied images to File Explorer: Yesterday I could copy images from a browser and paste them straight to the file explorer. The assigned name consisted of random numbers and letters but the whole point is that I could copy and paste the image straight to the desired folder or any other program. I'm trying it...
  10. Cannot copy and paste, result with a ".dmp" message

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Cannot copy and paste, result with a ".dmp" message: I just installed Windows 10 64 bit 1803 on a new desktop. Now one month down the road all of a sudden intermittently when I copy and paste text the result would become only...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. in windows 10 explorer i am trying to copy and paste several thousand files at one time but nothing happens