Windows 10: Copy and Paste taking forever

Discus and support Copy and Paste taking forever in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Firstly hello all new to the forum and have browsed for other related issues like mine but cant seem to quite find one thats in the same context so... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by illusions, Mar 22, 2018.

1. illusions Win User

Copy and Paste taking forever

Firstly hello all new to the forum and have browsed for other related issues like mine but cant seem to quite find one thats in the same context so heres my issue..

Laptop specs (its not a brilliant laptop but its quite fast)

Issue: when i CTRL + C a folder and CTRL + V to another folder same Drive it takes Forever to move files ive been sat here for 10 minutes now and the folder im copying ready to past has been Discovering for over 30 minutes granted theres just over 6 gig in the folder but come on it hasnt even started to send any files to the new folder yet....

Copy and Paste taking forever [​IMG]

:)

illusions, Mar 22, 2018

2. I have a VERY long text thread.

I want to forward the whole string. I was able to do it with an Iphone.
    The only options I have foumd is copy and paste, or take a screen shot.
    Copying and pasting would take forever, a screen will work worse.
    Any Ideas??

CJJohnson1022, Mar 22, 2018
  3. BulldogXX Win User
    restore older data to new Win10 PC

My friend, Windows XP is perfectly capable of copying and pasting the PST to a USB drive, even if the PST is huge. It will just take practically forever.

BulldogXX, Mar 22, 2018
  4. illusions Win User

just so your aware im still sat here waiting for the file discovery to finish which has now been around 42 minutes and its only just got to 5 gig

illusions, Mar 22, 2018
  5. illusions Win User
    finally started to copy

Copy and Paste taking forever [​IMG]

ignore the 1hour time its gone up to saying over a day lol

illusions, Mar 22, 2018
  6. EdTittel Win User
    When you have a large number (and 139,466 files is a large number) of files to copy, it can (and will in your case, apparently) take a long while to build the file transfer list and then to actually perform the transfer. To a large extent this is conditioned by the speed of the source and target devices involved in the copy operation. I'm guessing we're looking at conventional (spinning) hard disks on at least one side of the transfer, if not on both sides. That said, the next time you try something like this you might want to zip up the files to be transferred first. Then you'll see if the tradeoff between reading and writing to create the ZIP file (which will also take time) improves the overall time involved when the transfer of a single, large (but also compressed) ZIP is factored into the equation.
    HTH,
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Mar 22, 2018
  7. Ben Myers Win User
    Start File Explorer, arrange it so that the folder to be copied is in the right window and the destination is in the left. Right-click the folder to be copied and while holding the right-click, drag the folder to the destination in the left window, release and select "Copy here".

Ben

Ben Myers, Mar 22, 2018
  8. AndreTen Win User

In this case Ed's suggestion would still be faster (probably).

Do you actually want to copy that folder, or move it? If you want to move the folder on the same drive, then cut and paste it, not copy. It will be incredibly faster (just changing th e folder pointer instead of really copying the files)

AndreTen, Mar 22, 2018
  9. Agreed.
    Copying 1 large file is much faster, than copying 1000s of small files.

If you use something like 7-Zip you can set the compression level.
    You can set it to 0 compression and it will just create a single giant zip file, which should be quicker than trying to compress the files.

Remember to reset the compression level when you are finished. *Smile

lehnerus2000, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Copy and Paste taking forever - Similar Threads - Copy Paste taking

2. Taking forever

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Taking forever: I am the owner of an Acer Nitro 5 which meets what is needed to upgrade to windows 11. For the past 2 weeks I have been checking on the update and security and all I get are update for defender and so on but i have not been able to get the upgrade. And yes I did to the health...
  3. Taking forever

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Taking forever: I am the owner of an Acer Nitro 5 which meets what is needed to upgrade to windows 11. For the past 2 weeks I have been checking on the update and security and all I get are update for defender and so on but i have not been able to get the upgrade. And yes I did to the health...
  4. Taking forever

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Update is taking forever

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Update is taking forever: Hello, there was a system update for my Dell windows 10 laptop. When I updated it, it's been 4 hours already but it's still at 24%? It's not stucked, but it takes around 15 minutes every additional 1%. What should I do? submitted by /u/ngcy00 [link] [comments]...
  6. Copying Files is Taking Forever: how To speed Up?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Copying Files is Taking Forever: how To speed Up?: It is taking an extremely long time to copy one terrabyte of data from one internal hard drive to another internal hard drive. The transfer speed often drops down to less than 1MB /s and often stops altogether with certain files not being able to be copied at all. i7-6700...
  7. Startup takes forever.

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Startup takes forever.: I recently upgraded to Windows 10 and since then my PC (HP Envy i7) takes approximately 5 hours to boot. This really is frustrating. Please assist in resolving this issue. 37156
  8. Copy & Paste

in Windows 10 Support
    Copy & Paste: Something just recently changed in Windows 10. I can no longer use the PASTE shortcut CRTL+V. To paste anything, I must use the right click and then click on PASTE. I generally use COPY (CRTL_C) then CRTL+V and it is done. Does anyone know how to correct this so I can use the...
  9. Updates taking forever

Updates taking forever: With windows 10 , Getting updates . This might take a few minutes . Well it has been 4 hrs and usually I download at 700 k to 1.1 Mb per sec ? [img] What updates do you think it is snagging ? 12472
  10. Update Takes Forever

Update Takes Forever: This is more of a curiosity question, but why does it take hours to update from one build to the next? I'm going from 10041 to 10049 and it's been running for about two-and-a-half hours now. It's currently at 20%. Seems like the update to 10041 took a long time as well,...