Windows 10: Copy and skipping existing files.

Discus and support Copy and skipping existing files. in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Is there any way that I can copy files from one folder to another and automatically skipping all existing files in the destination folder using a batch... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Wysneus, Jan 12, 2021.

1. Wysneus Win User

Copy and skipping existing files.

Is there any way that I can copy files from one folder to another and automatically skipping all existing files in the destination folder using a batch file? I know I can do it usung File Explorer, but I want to know how to do it from a batch file.

If I use the /v option, it replaces all files. I do not want to re-copy them, I want to skip them. If I use the /-v option, it asks me for each existing file if I want to replace it, and the only options there are "Y" to replace one file, "N" to skip one file, or "A" to replace all files. No option for skipping all files.

:)

Wysneus, Jan 12, 2021
  2. temp02 Win User

Java.nio.file - Copying files

You can't copy a folder, thats why it generates an exception (you are trying to copy a folder using a copy file function).
    You probably need to list all the files inside that folder and copy one by one

temp02, Jan 12, 2021
  3. sba923 Win User
    Copying files from PC to phone: skipping existing files causes new files to be skipped as well

Here's the problem:

I have two Windows Explorer windows open:

- a local folder on my Windows 8.1 PC

- a folder on my Windows Phone 8.1 Lumia 830 (connected via USB)

I select multiple files from the local folder, and initiate a copy operation to the phone.

Some files already exist on the phone so I choose "Do not copy" and "Do this for all conflicts."

The incorrect result is that all files are skipped, not only the ones that already exist:
    files that do not exist on the phone yet are skipped too!!!

How do I copy all new and newer files from the PC folder to the phone (without copying the existing unchanged files again)?

P.S. Why does Windows Phone 8.1 not have a true "USB Mass Storage" mode so that one can use real file management tools, e.g. ROBOCOPY /S /XX /XO in this particular case? I had this on my Windows Mobile 6.5 HTC HD2....

sba923, Jan 12, 2021
  4. sba923 Win User

sba923, Jan 12, 2021
Thema:

1. Copy and skipping existing files. - Similar Threads - Copy skipping existing

2. Copy - skipped files report

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Copy - skipped files report: I should've probably used a specialized tool for that, but now that I did it with windows... I copied ~11000 files from 1 HDD to another, and out of habit, clicked 'do not ask again' and "skip" when there was a problem.due to a hardware problem that's why I'm copying from it,...
  3. Copy - skipped files report

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Copy - skipped files report: I should've probably used a specialized tool for that, but now that I did it with windows... I copied ~11000 files from 1 HDD to another, and out of habit, clicked 'do not ask again' and "skip" when there was a problem.due to a hardware problem that's why I'm copying from it,...
  4. Copy - skipped files report

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. How to get File Explorer to skip all existing files when copying?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to get File Explorer to skip all existing files when copying?: When copying files from a PC to an Android phone, Windows 10 would bring up the prompt below. If I check the 'Do this for all conflicts' and click on 'Don't copy', the whole copy Operation stops and Explorer doesn't try to copy the non existing files. Is this a bug? It seems...
  6. How to get File Explorer to skip all existing files when copying?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to get File Explorer to skip all existing files when copying?: When copying files from a PC to an Android phone, Windows 10 would bring up the prompt below. If I check the 'Do this for all conflicts' and click on 'Don't copy', the whole copy Operation stops and Explorer doesn't try to copy the non existing files. Is this a bug? It seems...
  7. How to get File Explorer to skip all existing files when copying?

in Windows 10 Customization
  8. Copy File and rename if this file exist in destination

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Copy File and rename if this file exist in destination: Hello, I need a script to copy for example C:\file.txt to D:\file.txt and if D:\file.txt exist keep both files every time the script run. Thank you...
  9. Is there a way to skip duplicate files when copying?

in Windows 10 Support
    Is there a way to skip duplicate files when copying?: I have a 3TB external hard drive that I use to backup large files. Usually, I just drag and drop the folders from my laptop to the external drive and Windows gives me an option to skip duplicate files AFTER it copies the new files. That has been working fine but now I am...
  10. command line to copy files from dir A to B but skip existing ones

in Windows 10 Support
    command line to copy files from dir A to B but skip existing ones: Hi there Is there a Windows command that can copy files from say directory A to directory B but skip any with the same name I don't want to update even if say directory A has a newer version than directory B --simply use existing names --if it exists skip. I'm trying to...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how to automatically skip already copied files on laptop